Re: Hunters safety

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:50 pm

GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am
GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 am
Gunny, that's one type of hunting that is not enjoyable. But, it is what it is.

Then again, the first Marine that I did shore patrol with told me that was why he joined the Marines, "To shoot people legally." I replied, "You know that they shoot back?"
That's not entirely true. Only some of them shoot back. ;)
Yes. But, all it takes is one.
Which is why we were paid the big bucks. :lol: Besides, that made it more interesting.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:50 pm
GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am

That's not entirely true. Only some of them shoot back. ;)
Yes. But, all it takes is one.
Which is why we were paid the big bucks. :lol: Besides, that made it more interesting.
I will state that nothing is wrong with giving one's life for a just cause.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

GFK wrote:

"To shoot people legally."
That is rather disturbing. :|
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:08 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm
GFK wrote:

"To shoot people legally."
That is rather disturbing. :|
I can understand. That may not be some thought. And, I did not condone his comment. But, it is what the job boils down to. The basic mission of the military is to kill or be killed. When I do speak to people about the military, I point out that all jobs are in support of that effort. I been told that I would not make a good recruiter. But, I figure that people should be reminded of what they are getting into.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Was nothing at all directed at you GFK. The other guy said it.
All I was imagining was his desire by that comment, to kill people, so it seems.
Sorry this thread got off track. I DO honor all who served.
As to hunter safety, my son and I were required to take a course many years ago when living on the east coast.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:25 pm
All I was imagining was his desire by that comment, to kill people, so it seems.
As to hunter safety, my son and I were required to take a course many years ago when living on the east coast.
None taken. The comment took me off guard as well. Yes, we have gotten off track. But, Gunny has a sense of humor. I take that he was referring to the ultimate hunting course. Yet for deer hunting, the basic hunting safety course will work. For me, it was helpful. Even included basic hunting skills, which covered field dressing. It was no cost, until you take the final test. So, one could complete the course for free but not be considered certified until the final was completed.

https://www.hunter-ed.com
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:28 am

GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:25 pm
None taken. The comment took me off guard as well. Yes, we have gotten off track. But, Gunny has a sense of humor. I take that he was referring to the ultimate hunting course. Yet for deer hunting, the basic hunting safety course will work. For me, it was helpful. Even included basic hunting skills, which covered field dressing. It was no cost, until you take the final test. So, one could complete the course for free but not be considered certified until the final was completed.

https://www.hunter-ed.com
You're right, but my wife of 50 years has yet to get used to some of my sense of humor. ;)

That aside, there remains a considerable body of skills that are easily transferred between hunting deer and other critters, and the most dangerous game. Primarily in small unit and sniper tactics and skills. They don't diverge much until after the kill/capture is made.

Re; your previous comment about understanding what your getting into, I agree with you. There are some who do understand, usually those who had a Father or other close relatives who had "been there, done that", and survived to tell about it. But there are many who do not, or cannot, accept that fundamental truth and sometimes suffer psychologically when confronted with it.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:55 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am
Due to my age and the laws “back then” I have never taken a Hunter Safety course but I attended one with my son.

I'm in that group as well .... I was "grandfathered" when NC instituted the Hunter Safety courses .... when our oldest son was ready to start hunting I attended the class with him .... it was a 2 day course, first day all classroom, second day mostly on a rifle range (mostly 22LR) .... a year later when our youngest son was eligible to take the class, my wife attended with him .... both boys hunted with me before they were old enough to take the course .... while there may have been some, I don't recall any kids being there without a parent .... I do remember being impressed at the level of instruction and strongly support requiring new hunters having to take it
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:25 am

I took the Hunter Safety Course in the Fall of 2014, shortly after I got my first CT firearms permit. There was a prerequisite online instruction and test, followed by in-person instruction, demonstrations, and the mandated final written test; then field demonstrations and individual performance evaluations, including loading and firing a .22 rifle.

It is still required to obtain a CT firearms hunting license, but has recently been modified to comply with various Covid-19 precautions. In my opinion, it was comprehensive and very rewarding and, though I haven't hunted yet, I still regularly obtain a license each year.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 am
Due to my age and the laws “back then” I have never taken a Hunter Safety course but I attended one with my son. This was back in the late 90’s sometime and is was one of the best weeks of my life. The course took place at a local farm and the presentation was incredible. It was around 3-4 hours per night for five consecutive nights. Since it was at a farm the field shooting part of the course took place daily. The course was geared more to shotgun hunting and the attendees were required to bring 100 shot shells. They shot at launched clay birds and on the last day a local dog handler brought this dogs and live pigeons which were released with the dogs present. I do have to brag a little as my son was the only kid to hit a live pigeon.

The course included walking with guns in the field, crossing fences and entering and exiting a Jeep. It also covered shotguns, rifles, handguns and black powder. The kids had the opportunity to shoot every type of firearm. Also covered was ammo and reloading. Every night ended with discussion around a campfire. Incredible!

Good for you who dedicate time to teaching the next generation of hunters and thank you!!!
Man! What a great experience! Today's hunter's safety courses are nothing like that. You guys were fortunate. Most of the hunters safety courses that I have gone with my kids through were pretty boring, and the instructors were just trying to get it done.. although the one that my oldest daughter went through was pretty top notch.
0 x