Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First deer with a henry

Tcallbuilder
Tenderfoot
United States of America

First deer with a henry

Post by Tcallbuilder » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 am

IMG_0820.JPG
Im not at all computer savy, so im not sure if this picture will show or not. :?
this was my first deer with a Henry.
The rifle is a H009 steel frame 30-30, i bought it new this past spring and worked up a load using win.brass and primers, IMR4064, and speer hot core 170gr flat nose bullets.
I took this deer about a mile from camp, my btoyher and his lady friend volenteered to help drag it out. I hadent seen them in over a year, probably should have not put them to work like that :lol: But we laughed, talked and had a really good time catching up...just like old times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
23 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: First deer with a henry

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:58 am

Congratulations on your successful hunt. Thanks for sharing the story and the photo.
Tcallbuilder wrote:...this was my first deer with a Henry
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 am

Congratulations! That's a nice one.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:23 am

Congrats on a good kill!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am

Congrats on both counts. The harvest and picture posting!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am

nicely done indeed === CONGRATULATIONS === any comments on shooting distance, type of terrain, location of hit, how far it ran, weather etc
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Nice buck you got there. Congrats! Picture came out just fine.
Last edited by Rifletom on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tcallbuilder
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tcallbuilder » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am

"any comments on shooting distance, type of terrain, location of hit, how far it ran, weather etc"

Thanks to all for the comments, I really enjoy this fourm, great bunch of guys here!!
I took this deer the day after thanksgiving, in this area the peak of the rut is was winding down. He and a smaller buck, 4 point I think, were chasing a single doe. He crossed the hollow I was in and was on the opsite ridge at about 80 yards when i shot. Hit him behind the shoulder, but lower in the chest cavity than i would have liked. he ran about 150 yards, all down hill and very steep tarrain. I dont think he could have went nearly that far on level ground.
Not my biggest buck ever, but this one was kinda special. being my first with a new henry rifle, but mostly spending the time with my brother..we dont get to team up as much as we used to. It was a good day for both of us.
6 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 am

Tcallbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am
Not my biggest buck ever, but this one was kinda special. being my first with a new henry rifle, but mostly spending the time with my brother..we dont get to team up as much as we used to. It was a good day for both of us.

outstanding .... building good memories with your brother that you both will recount many times in the coming years .... hopefully, your new Henry will play a part in adding to those memories
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Tcallbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am
"any comments on shooting distance, type of terrain, location of hit, how far it ran, weather etc"

Thanks to all for the comments, I really enjoy this fourm, great bunch of guys here!!
I took this deer the day after thanksgiving, in this area the peak of the rut is was winding down. He and a smaller buck, 4 point I think, were chasing a single doe. He crossed the hollow I was in and was on the opsite ridge at about 80 yards when i shot. Hit him behind the shoulder, but lower in the chest cavity than i would have liked. he ran about 150 yards, all down hill and very steep tarrain. I dont think he could have went nearly that far on level ground.
Great deer! Great post! and I'm sure glad for your time with your brother!! :D
0 x