Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

10 Best Calibers for Deer Hunting (Updated: 2019)

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: 10 Best Calibers for Deer Hunting (Updated: 2019)

Post by Vaquero » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:34 am

Hey JEB, Today he bought a 6.5x55 SE for his son and daughter to hunt with.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:53 am

I admit to being both old and old school .... the reality of which seems to be reinforced every day .. :? .. 270 I understand .... 308, 30-06, 243, 44, 357, 45-70, and a bunch of others I understand .... 6.5x55 SE and a growing host of others are a mystery to me .... based on your comments about him, I have no doubt that he knows what he's doing .... I'd sure enjoy being able to spend some time with him both on a range and chatting around a campfire
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm

I finally read the article and am not going to debate deer hunting calibers. While all have their merits an important consideration when choosing a caliber will be the hunting environment it will be used in.

In the open, relatively 'flatter' side of Eastern Oregon a shot at game might be in the couple to few hundred yard range while over in the thickly wooded Western side of Oregon a larger caliber/heavier bullet might be a better choice.

However two of the statements make me question the experience of the person who wrote this article. The first:
I would highly recommend you try the 30-30 Winchester, which is an incredible caliber. Besides, you can also use 7mm Remington Magnum as well.
While the .30-30 is a very acceptable deer caliber under some conditions, the 7mm Mag is the antithesis of the .30-30 - and probably overkill for most deer hunting. I would hardly consider the 7mm Mag as a member in the 'pool' of deer hunting calibers.

Statement # 2:
If you are using the AR 15 Rifle, you must use the Best AR 15 Scope for more powerful and accurate shots.
Since when does a scope create more 'power' in an AR 15 ? Or any gun for that matter?
And other than the .308 in an AR-10 no AR 15 is chambered for any of the cartridges listed.

Statement # 3:
The reason for this is because the rifle scopes make your hunting more groomed and fruitful, by making the shots more accurate.
Groomed and fruitful? Making the shots more accurate?
A scope does not make the shots 'more accurate' - A scope provides a magnified view with a crosshair (or a variation thereof) to improve the sight picture and the shooters' accuracy - but a scope in itself does not make 'shots more accurate'

Sorry for my cynical response to this but I can't quite 'fathom' these final statements as they seem to come from inexperience.
3 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 am

I agree on the where you hunt should determine the caliber. Have used .35 rem, .308 and 30-06 with some success on deer and black bear in the northeast, Most shots are less than 100 yds and considerably less in most cases. The choice for me, if only owning one caliber (who does that?) would be the 30-06. One only has to look at a reloading manual and look at the bullet weight options ranging from 100grains to 220 grains It is suitable for a myriad of game over large distances. The only drawback is that it needs a long action. The .308 is also a great choice and can be had in a shorter action, Many choices out there.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 am

PJM wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 am
The choice for me, if only owning one caliber (who does that?) would be the 30-06. One only has to look at a reloading manual and look at the bullet weight options ranging from 100 grains to 220 grains It is suitable for a myriad of game over large distances.

back in the 60's I began searching for a big game caliber and for the same reasons I quickly zeroed in on 30 caliber .... being a lever action fan, the first one I bought was a Belgium made 308 Browning BLR .... since then I've taken more deer, black bear and boar with it than with any other rifle .... I've long made it a practice to not purchase 2 hunting rifles that fire the same ammo .... accordingly, I went on to adding a lever action 30-30 and tow bolt actions in 30-06, and 300 WBY mag .... all of them are still in the vault .... the one I'd choose to carry was based on the circumstances surrounding the hunt .... the 30-30 was used when walking brush and I wanted open sights .... the 30-06 has stainless metal and a synthetic stock, I carried it when hunting in bad weather .... the 300 was used when hunting large fields, some were literally a square mile in size .... under all other circumstances I carried the BLR .... while I did experiment with others, none lasted very long .... in recent times I've added 3 Henry rifles in 357, 44, and 45-70 .... sadly, with the way things are today, I don't anticipate being able to hunt with any of them
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 am

Maybe a little side track on this thread, but if I'm not mistaken, several States have restrictions on what firearms you can hunt deer with. In MS there are no restrictions on firearms, or capacity. Which means you can use anything from .22short to presumably .50 Barrett or belt fed SAW. Maybe even a grenade launcher. They leave it entirely up to the individual - because they trust us. ;)

Per MDWFP https://www.mdwfp.com/media/253620/20-2 ... er-web.pdf

Legal Weapons

Youth Gun: Youth may carry and use any firearm with which they can safely hunt, and in compliance with other applicable laws, rules, and regulations.

Archery: Longbows, recurves, compound bows, and crossbows. There is no minimum or maximum draw weight. There is no minimum arrow length. Fixed or mechanical broadheads may be used.

Primitive Weapons: Weapons legal for use during the Primitive Weapons season are all archery equipment and primitive firearms. ”Primitive firearms,” for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double-barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; OR single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer; OR single or double-barreled muzzleloading shotguns, with single ball or slug. All muzzleloading primitive firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock ignition. “Blackpowder substitute” is defined as a substance de-signed, manufactured, and specifically intended to be used as a propellant in muzzleloading or other black powder firearms, excluding modern smokeless powder. Metallic cartridges may be loaded with either black powder or modern smokeless powder (cartridges purchased at sporting goods stores). Telescopic sights are allowed while hunting with any primitive fire-arm during the primitive weapon seasons. A telescopic sight is defined as an optical sighting device with any magnification. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after November 30, a person may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands only, if the person is the title owner of the land, the lessee of the hunting rights on the land, a member of a hunting club leasing the hunting rights on the land, or a guest of a person specified above. If the person is required to have a hunting license, the person must have a primitive weapon license, Sportsman’s License, or a Lifetime Sportsman’s License.

Gun: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions on firearms. Primitive weapons (as defined above) and archery equipment may be used during gun seasons.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:09 pm

The 270 and 25-06 are kissing cuzins, surprised no 6.5s or 257 roberts, 260 Remington, 32 special, Could be the best 25 deer cartridges !
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895