Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Archery Season

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Archery Season

Post by JayZuv » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Any other Archery Hunters here? Season opens October 1st in my neck of the woods, nothing more exciting than being out there during the Rut in my opinion. When does your season start? Whats your Arrow/Broadhead of choice?
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Archery Season

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:41 pm

JayZuv wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 pm
Any other Archery Hunters here? Season opens October 1st in my neck of the woods, nothing more exciting than being out there during the Rut in my opinion. When does your season start? Whats your Arrow/Broadhead of choice?
Archery opens next Saturday here and goes till December 31. My dad and I always hunt opening weekend, although this year the mosquitos are going to be as thick as molasses, so it is going to be a sit and swat weekend! I use an older (18 year old) PSE compound bow and I've taken many deer with it. My dad has bad shoulders, so he is able to use a crossbow legally. A couple of years ago he shot a buck in velvet on opening morning. (that was pretty cool)
I have one nice buck on my game cam but he is missing one whole side of his rack. Lots of coons, porcupines, does with fawns and a couple of black bears out at my place. No wolves on the game cam this year, (thank God) Last year I had three timber wolves camp out at my place and the deer suffered for it. (A timber wolf attacked my oldest son a few years ago and about ripped the back of his head off, his was the only confirmed case of a wolf attacking a person in Minnesota history, so I'm not a big fan!)

Good luck this season, keep us up to date on your bow hunting, and I'll do the same!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Eastern NC Archery Deer Season - September 8-September 28 ... due to botched shoulder back in 1965, when I archery hunt, I must use a crossbow .... like we load our own ammo, I make my own bolts
0 x

dmanwarren
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by dmanwarren » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:31 pm

When it comes to hunting traditional archery is my main passion. I connected yesterday with my birth year bow, a 1967 1\2 Bear Super Kodiak. Normally I hunt with selfbows but it was time to get this one bloody!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:06 am

I am also here in MN. Season opened on Sept. 14. Made it out for a few hours that weekend after tending our rifle hunting stands. It was hot and not a nice hunting weekend. This is the first year I am going to archery hunt. I am hooked, and really looking forward to it. Hopefully shoot a deer rifle and bow. I shoot an Xpedition Xcentric @70lbs with Maxima Red arrows and Iron Will s125 broadheads. From what I hear, the deer should be fighting to let themselves be killed my my set-up. I am also going to hunt a few weekends in WI.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 pm

dmanwarren wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:31 pm
When it comes to hunting traditional archery is my main passion. I connected yesterday with my birth year bow, a 1967 1\2 Bear Super Kodiak. Normally I hunt with selfbows but it was time to get this one bloody!
Great picture. Congrats!!!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 pm

dmanwarren wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:31 pm
Great deer harvest with your birth-year bow.....Congrats!

Man, I haven't shot a bow & arrow since I was a Boy Scout. Definitely a bunch of years ago. But I do recall that it was an enjoyable sport. Good for you to have the passion for this type of hunting.

Curious about your self bows. Did you purchase, or build your own? It would be cool if you followed up your post with photo(s) of those. Enjoyed reading about your hunting interest and tools.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

dmanwarren
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by dmanwarren » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm

IMG_20140901_165940_717.jpg
PT7, when it comes to selfbows I make my own usually out of Osage Orange. I also enjoy making my own arrows out of bamboo or rivercane. Here's a couple of my favorites, Longhorn is the snake skinned one and Holy Moly is being shot in the prone position. Notice the bows aren't very straight, you have to work with what the wood gives you but it doesn't hurt the accuracy any. Thanks for asking, Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

dmanwarren
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by dmanwarren » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Some reason second picture didn't post. Here's a different picture of Holy Moly.
IMG_20170304_124133038.jpg
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:58 pm

I had a wonderful bow season here in central MN. Friday evening I shot my first whitetail with my bow. Was awesome. I am really proud of this one! Public land near my house. I may try to get out once or twice more in WI with the bow, but, now to start focusing on getting ready for rifle season which starts on Nov. 9. I took the .308 Long Ranger to the range today and fired a few shots. Didn't take long, I started right in the bullseye at 50, went to 100, a tiny adjustment and put 5 more right in there. I really like this rifle.
3 x