Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Vermin control

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Vermin control

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Since I'm out in the country I can shoot my little Henry as needed...been getting rid of vermin Interloper Starlings at with my house and my mom's...I will admit they are smart...after first one shot those remaining instantly learn to flee out a couple hundred yards when they see me step outside with my little Henry. However they all over last few weeks trapped up and got shot ,except this last crafty one...it finally got too complacent and stopped in the top of a tree about 45 yards from me and the Henry...using the side of an oak to steady me (I'm no great shot for sure!..but the Henry is! ...we kilt him thus freeing the Homeland for the native birds I love ....
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Vermin control

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:26 pm

there are times when I wished we were further out in the county where I give similar careful attention to such vermin ... wonder how long before a replacement flock comes along :?:
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:Since I'm out in the country I can shoot my little Henry as needed...been getting rid of vermin Interloper Starlings at with my house and my mom's...I will admit they are smart...after first one shot those remaining instantly learn to flee out a couple hundred yards when they see me step outside with my little Henry. However they all over last few weeks trapped up and got shot ,except this last crafty one...it finally got too complacent and stopped in the top of a tree about 45 yards from me and the Henry...using the side of an oak to steady me (I'm no great shot for sure!..but the Henry is! ...we kilt him thus freeing the Homeland for the native birds I love ....
I hate starlings. They should have never been here in the first place. They are smart, but I've taken out a few with the Sheridan pump. They go through the wife's suet cakes like buzz saws. Always grunt as they fly away...yuk!
The last few I took out were quickly taken away by the hawks...gotta love the raptors... :D
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:40 pm

I'm not a fan of Starlings, either...dirty birds. Every year, we have a pair of Northern Flickers start a nest in a hollow tree in the back yard, and every year they get harassed by throngs of Starlings until they give up. Ticks me off every time.

Suet doesn't last long here either as long as they're around.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 pm

roddy wrote:I'm not a fan of Starlings, either...dirty birds. Every year, we have a pair of Northern Flickers start a nest in a hollow tree in the back yard, and every year they get harassed by throngs of Starlings until they give up. Ticks me off every time.

Gotta be stealthy with those suckers, but good target practice!! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:43 am

The knot hole in my maple tree that the starlings were nesting in before I put the .22lr to them
.. now has bluebirds using it. That's an improvement in my way of thinking.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:57 am

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:The knot hole in my maple tree that the starlings were nesting in before I put the .22lr to them
.. now has bluebirds using it. That's an improvement in my way of thinking.
Good job creating a new home for good birds.
And some target practice to boot! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Jenkinsd
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jenkinsd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:45 am

roddy wrote:I'm not a fan of Starlings, either...dirty birds. Every year, we have a pair of Northern Flickers start a nest in a hollow tree in the back yard, and every year they get harassed by throngs of Starlings until they give up. Ticks me off every time.

Tell this N/E Ca. muleskinner what suet is?
0 x
muleskinner1

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 am

Basically a fat and peanut butter brick with dead bugs in it. Although there are varieties with bird seed and/or dried fruit in the mix.
Jenkinsd wrote:

1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 am

Mags wrote:.
Basically a fat and peanut butter brick with dead bugs in it. Although there are varieties with bird seed and/or dried fruit in the mix.
Jenkinsd wrote:

Yep. It is a good high energy food source through the winter, when pickin's are slim. Woodpeckers love the stuff.
1 x