Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Things have changed, getting old.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Things have changed, getting old.

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:35 pm

I have the Moody Blues albums. Even people my age never heard or don't remember them.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Anybody remember the Kingston Trio?
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Had every album of the Moody Blues. One of my favorites. The Kingston Trio was a favorite of my older brother. He had all their 45s.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Another sign of change in the shooting world has been the market for vintage collectible guns. Definitely seeing signs of the market softening on some my favorites like vintage Smiths and other guns of our baby boomer generation. My friends that belong to some collector associations and attend collector shows tell me it's all us old folks, now. Younger shooters don't see what all the fuss is about. Might be time to liquidate some of our collectibles.

On a more positive note of change, I do think factory ammo is better than ever, now, thanks to new bullet technology and R&D in ammo loads. Lots more choices in factory ammo, these days.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Similar note: just read somewhere that antique furniture is losing value now because younger people don't care about it. Nobody wants it anymore.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Similar note: just read somewhere that antique furniture is losing value now because younger people don't care about it. Nobody wants it anymore.
That is true. Unless it is something special you can barely give it away.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Mags wrote:I have the Moody Blues albums. Even people my age never heard or don't remember them.
The Moody Blues did a concert in Toronto last year (July 2017) performing their album "Days of Future Past" accompanied by a full orchestra that was recorded and broadcast on the PBS series "Great Performances". I saved it to my DVR and will keep it there. It was -- no hype -- outstanding.

Trailer: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/moody-blu ... live/7735/
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:59 pm

NCG all of your thoughts are spot on for me except for one. I've been thru pistol matches with autos and with TC Contenders. We shot steel plates with the 1911's and shot silly wets out to 100 yards with contenders. I've been to Long range BPCR matches with sharps rifles. I did that for about 8 years. While I was doing all this I also hunted big game with contenders. I have shot several deer with them. So I did hunt. But then one day I just quit hunting as other things in life just took me away from it. At the time I was shooting long range with sharps I was also shooting cowboy silly wet with leverguns. I have a few AR type guns. At the time I bought them it was just on a I think I need some type of deal. Now I wish I hadn't even bought them but I haven't taken the time to get rid of them nor do I know if I want to. The one sharps rifle I had now is just a lonesome gun in the safe. Just a few years ago I have a close friend who lost his son and then his wife shortly before she retired. He is an avid hunter and has many mounts around his house. So as a close friend I decided to go back to the woods with him and have done so the past few years. I have really enjoyed it and plan to continue. So I'm still hunting and enjoying going with a really close friend. I know he is to as he has said he looks very much forward to the next time.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm

That's great, Al. Hats off to you for getting together with a friend and resuming your hunting. Best of luck.

Your experience with Contenders sounds similar to mine, though I only shoot and collect them for fun, now. My competition and hunting days are over, but, of course, never say never. Who knows, right? Anyway, hunting or not, I do hope to keep shooting as long as the old body and eyes allow. To be sure, at some point, we'll need to deal with what to do with our collection before we go to that big shooting range in the sky. Our kids don't have an interest. The smart thing to do would be to sell off the guns at some point, but I'm nowhere near ready to do that.

Interestingly, I was thinking along those lines, today, and surprised myself as to which guns would be the hardest for me to let go. Surprisingly, it was our air guns. The regular guns, I could sell, though it would hurt, but I really don't want to let anyone have the air guns. Go figure.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 pm

I dont have any contenders left I sold all of them. I had barrels from Bullberry MGM, and I even had a couple of custom barrels one from JD Jones and from Mike Bellum. I think i had quite a few of the regular calibers off and on at one time. I shot some silly wet with 32-20 and 357. JD's barrel was a 6.5 JDJ and one of Mikes barrels was a 444 case necked down to 308. Of course to shoot the custom barrels reloading and fire forming was necessary. I also played a little bit with the 357 max which is a terror on silly wets.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55