Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Things have changed, getting old.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Things have changed, getting old.

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am

Now that is what I call long range shooting. Wow! The only way we can shoot at such distances up here in the north woods is to find a big lake and shoot across it. :)
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Wow 220, rabbits at 500 yards :shock: :o

The only other person to do that was............
granny.jpg
But to be fair, can a bullet hit the ground in Australia without striking a rabbit? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Really has got a lot simpler with modern equipment. Range finders are accurate to with a yard or two, the best even compensate for any angle up or down. A ballistic app will give you the amount of drop so really you only need a accurate rifle, to hold it steady and release the shot. Shooting prone off a bipod with a rear bag it actually sounds a lot more impressive than it is.
Wind is the hardest to deal with but there are even hand held meters and calculators to take most of the guess work out of it although we havent gone down that road yet.
To give you an idea of just how simple it can be son grabbed my 240wby took a guess at the BC of the factory ammo I was using, we knew the velocity as I had run it over the crohny, Printed off a drop chart to 800y in 25y increasements set a 6" gong at 550y. Fired 1 shot at 100y to check the zero then put 3 shots on the gong under 2" without even making any adjustments to the scope. It runs a 4-12 sightron with the hunter holdover reticle the second hold over mark worked out to be right for a touch past 500y so he simple used it and aimed at the top of the gong.

Waiting for paperwork to turn up so we can pick up a rifle he has sitting at the dealers. He wants to have a go at some serious long rang shooting.
26" heavy barrelled 6.5CM 4-20 scope and a reticle with more lines than my old truck has scatches, 20moa rail that should get us out to a mile. Hopefully the paperwork arrives this week and we can set it up and have a play over the christmass break. My old range finder is only good for 5-600y so I can see lots of guess work on range which will probably be lots of misses. We can get to around 1800y at the farm.
2 x

octogon3030
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by octogon3030 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:28 am

To me, its the decline of the grandparents/parents to take and teach the young about hunting, fishing and firearms. It seems its easier to provide the phone and/or playstation than taking them outside and teaching them about the land. I myself was guilty of not MAKING the time for my oldest boy who is now a Marine. So now I am much more involved with my younger 2 boys. Raising a family in todays world is tough and expensive. A lot of todays youth have never been camping or fishing. Sad.
0 x
Freedom is never free, Remember your Service Members and Veterans.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:34 am

octogon3030 wrote: A lot of todays youth have never been camping or fishing. Sad.
And you're not talking about some under privileged inner city kids. I mean normal suburban type kids. Remember a lot of the baby boomers didn't do sports, and now their grand kids are 2nd/3rd generation of metro city dwellers.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:52 am

220 --- During December I was pretty much off the HRF during my move from my apt to a house. Just came across your post about your son wanting "to have a go at some serious long rang shooting." Just curious...has he got into PRS or PRC to a larger extent by now?

For several years I've been watching my son-in-law prep and compete in PRC. He is quite good at it. I really like watching some of his practice sessions on his own range, and from our chats, have learned a lot about this shooting sport. I'm not a long-distance shooter; stay mostly with Cowboy action revolvers. But the various shooting sports out there are cool.

Found a basic "101 guide" for new beginners in this sport. Published by Pew Pew Tactical" https://www.pewpewtactical.com/precisio ... ners/#toc1 Your son probably already knows much of this stuff; found it interesting. The best part is to see you and him going after this together. Hope it's going well.

PT7

220 wrote:Really has got a lot simpler with modern equipment. Range finders are accurate to with a yard or two, the best even compensate for any angle up or down. A ballistic app will give you the amount of drop so really you only need a accurate rifle, to hold it steady and release the shot. Shooting prone off a bipod with a rear bag it actually sounds a lot more impressive than it is.
Wind is the hardest to deal with but there are even hand held meters and calculators to take most of the guess work out of it although we havent gone down that road yet.
To give you an idea of just how simple it can be son grabbed my 240wby took a guess at the BC of the factory ammo I was using, we knew the velocity as I had run it over the crohny, Printed off a drop chart to 800y in 25y increasements set a 6" gong at 550y. Fired 1 shot at 100y to check the zero then put 3 shots on the gong under 2" without even making any adjustments to the scope. It runs a 4-12 sightron with the hunter holdover reticle the second hold over mark worked out to be right for a touch past 500y so he simple used it and aimed at the top of the gong.

Waiting for paperwork to turn up so we can pick up a rifle he has sitting at the dealers. He wants to have a go at some serious long rang shooting.
26" heavy barrelled 6.5CM 4-20 scope and a reticle with more lines than my old truck has scatches, 20moa rail that should get us out to a mile. Hopefully the paperwork arrives this week and we can set it up and have a play over the christmass break. My old range finder is only good for 5-600y so I can see lots of guess work on range which will probably be lots of misses. We can get to around 1800y at the farm.
0 x

~Пока~