Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

coyotes

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: coyotes

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 pm

The study showed them to actually be a hybrid mix of coyote and the Eastern Timber (Algonquin) Wolf.
Yep - I was watching an outdoor show a while back and this is what is was all about ! - big yotes for sure!
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 am

They are reporting coyote/red wolf mixes here in SC. Red wolves are rare/protected. Most of the yotes we see around here look like scraggly, mangy dogs.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jenkinsd
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jenkinsd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Plenty of yotes in N/E Ca. It's a debate some folks say they kill mice, gophers and etc. For me they are after my livestock so I hunt ever day. You need hunting license no tag open all year round.
0 x
muleskinner1

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Not as many hunt them around here as they used to (Central Oregon) and I think this is due to several reasons but mostly fewer people are interested in varmint hunting.
Heck I used to hunt them often but have gotten away from it myself but may get back into it as a way to get out in the woods more.
Their numbers are way up however due to low hunting and trapping pressure due to longtime low fur value as well.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:27 pm

I differ, a buddy and I hunted them hard 10-20 years ago in the sage with good success within 20 miles of Bend (Central Oregon). Now, every Grand-dad, daughter, son and kids are out calling, road hunting and chasing. I'd have to drive 100+ miles just to get away from the crowd.
pairyotes2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Many coyotes in NH. Been listening to them all night for past 2 weeks. Driving my dogs crazy as they are real close. Have a litter of pups probably born this year and all with mange. My wife took this picture last week at midday. Neighbor shot one 2 weeks ago and almost hairless. I am not a coyote fan but sad fate with mange.
Ultimately can't sleep, hunt, keep warm and most die from hypothermia. Getting soft I guess in old age, but hate to see any animals suffer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Tina lost a half dozen free range roosters in less than ten days. I pulled the ten day cards from three game cams. The pond, the hay/tractor barn, and coop. Two thousand fifteen second hi rez vids. I skimmed them, quickly deleting those I could identify the motion triggers of in the first few seconds. Usually Miss Tina, Chickens, one of the cows, or the UTV, or Tractor. I was left with about three hundred. I watch those all the way through. I now know we have at least four large coyotes on the farm, and a family of fat 'coons: six to eight.

Either could have taken the roos, but my vote goes to the 'yotes. The vids show them stalking around the coop/run trying to find a way in. Miss T hasn't lost a single chicken from the coop since she had that short discussion with the five foot snake with an egg in his mouth and one in his belly. He was slower than the stick she was swinging. :shock:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 pm

She isn't worried about the cows....
.... Eight hundred pounds each... Bad attitudes, and horns.

:lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm

When we moved here about 8 years ago, I was wondering why they had donkeys in the fields with the cattle.
Found out that donkeys don't like coyotes and that the donkeys will kill them when they get in the field, so they are used for protecting the cattle.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Jerrysea wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
When we moved here about 8 years ago, I was wondering why they had donkeys in the fields with the cattle.
Found out that donkeys don't like coyotes and that the donkeys will kill them when they get in the field, so they are used for protecting the cattle.
Yep, they aren't fond of any type of canine.
I watched one of the neighbor"s donkeys run my dog under my truck.
My brother and I were over helping out and she had followed us there.
She didn't want any part of it I will tell ya. :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012