Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

coyotes

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: coyotes

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

We have lots here. Listen to them howlin' every night. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Same with wolves, they run across our place once in awhile. Quite often see tracks. They have a tough enough time without me harassing them. Some parts of the west should stay wild. Just my opinion. There's plenty of guys shooting them.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 pm

I have seen a few here just outside of Charlotte NC. One was walking down the middle of the street in my neighborhood. It saw me and stopped then just turned its back and walked away. I suspect it was hunting for a quick cat or dog snack. We haven't seen any feral cats lately. And a few neighbors have been looking for their missing cats.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 am

They look too much like dogs for me to mess with.

If they were ganged up on my dog though, I would share with them a brief moment with Lucas McCain :D
2 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Mange was a bit hard on em here a few years back. Swift fox moved in after they were bout gone. Heard a couple the other night. Studies have shown they'll take up to 75% of a fawn crop. They're my competition and it's been said they'll be one of the last species on earth in the end, I tend to agree. I'll take a poke at everyone I see, no season on em here, doubt I make a dent compared to what mother nature did to em with the mange. Didn't skin this one or the 4 others like him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Bout the same time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 am

We don't have coyotes here, but it sounds like they are very similar in nature to foxes, which are despised by chicken or pheasant farmers because once they manage to get into a henhouse, they will kill everything in there. It is open season on foxes all year round, but they seem to breed a lot quicker than we can shoot 'em.
1 x

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Same here Les, actually the coyotes left my chickens alone, but those dang swift foxes cleaned me out! They're next!
0 x

Hogstir
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hogstir » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 pm

We have coyotes coming out our ears here in Arizona. Very adaptable and smart animals. They always say how willy a fox is but compared to a coyote there stupid.
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:41 pm

tractortad wrote:We have coyotes here in the Shenandoah Valley - and I think they can be taken any time (night or day) without a permit. A couple of years ago there was even a bounty on coyotes in some Virginia counties.
I believe that is correct. We can shoot them on our land at anytime, 24 hrs a day with no permits. Not real sure what the laws say on public land though. Our Bounty programs here are on and off.
0 x
NRA Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Heard our local neighborhood pack singing, just the other night. Makes for a fun evening serenade.
0 x