Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

coyotes

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: coyotes

Post by roddy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 pm

We have a lot of them here and can hear them yipping and yapping pretty much any night.
We got a few inches of snow a couple of nights ago, and I noticed some tracks in the yard the next morning. I hopped on the sled and followed them back towards the woods yesterday...couldn't believe how many had been back there.
They grow big here, and bold as well. My wife and I had one run out of a corn field on our trail not 10 yards in front of us this fall. It stopped and just stood there looking at us while we walked towards it, then turned and sauntered ahead and off into the brush...no hurry. This one was about the size of a Siberian Husky, but I've seen them larger. If one is that brave, I don't think I would want to run into a few of them...
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 pm

the following was printed in a local paper today (12-15-17) ..... reports like this only deepen concerns surrounding coyotes

"A rabid coyote found in a rural area near Bahama (about 35 miles NW of Raleigh, NC) is Durham County’s sixth case of animal rabies in 2017, the State Laboratory of Public Health has confirmed.

No known human contact has been identified, according to the Durham County Department of Public Health. Previously, the county has discovered four skunks and one raccoon to be rabid, said Khali Gallman, communications and public relations manager for the Durham County Department of Public Health. This rabies incident is the first involving a coyote."

Read more here: http://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/cou ... ylink=cpy
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:02 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I saw two yotes driving out to Wisconsin from Washington State.
Were they driving a RoadRunner? :lol:[/quote

No, one was driving TX Gun Runners old Mustang with the Coyote engine.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Our favorite fishing is done on a large black angus cattle farm. The owner lives out of state and his "farm manager" does as little as possible to keep from getting booted out of the little house on the back of the property. There are four ponds on the farm, two have trophy bass in them, and they kill the flies and frogs at dusk. We are the only non family allowed to fish the farm, and respect the gift we have been given.

At dusk one evening, a large yote came out of the brush line and started around the pond toward us. He was coming at us, head up and eyes locked. I reached in the truck and blew the horn... he never slowed. I stopped him about forty yards out. The owner loses a couple calves ever year to coyotes and feral dogs, I have written permission to put them down. His black angus are show winners.

We also shoot nutria on the farm. They are like a cross between a rat and a ferrett. They are doing major damage to the dams and banks around the ponds, and their burrows can injure the cattle. Nutria have become a major problem in several areas, especially New Orleans.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:41 pm

This one was about the size of a Siberian Husky, but I've seen them larger.
Thats a BIG coyote - where are you?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:Our favorite fishing is done on a large black angus cattle farm. The owner lives out of state and his "farm manager" does as little as possible to keep from getting booted out of the little house on the back of the property. There are four ponds on the farm, two have trophy bass in them, and they kill the flies and frogs at dusk. We are the only non family allowed to fish the farm, and respect the gift we have been given.

At dusk one evening, a large yote came out of the brush line and started around the pond toward us. He was coming at us, head up and eyes locked. I reached in the truck and blew the horn... he never slowed. I stopped him about forty yards out. The owner loses a couple calves ever year to coyotes and feral dogs, I have written permission to put them down. His black angus are show winners.

We also shoot nutria on the farm. They are like a cross between a rat and a ferrett. They are doing major damage to the dams and banks around the ponds, and their burrows can injure the cattle. Nutria have become a major problem in several areas, especially New Orleans.
Nutria are supposed to be good eating.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm

People eat rats too. In the Corps, they always told us the nasty stuff tasted "just like chicken,"LOL".
I would always quip, "So... why not eat a chicken...?"
My guys always got a laugh out of it. :lol:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 pm

clovishound wrote:Nutria are supposed to be good eating.
they are also supposed to be full of nutriants

:roll:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm

JEBar wrote:
clovishound wrote:Nutria are supposed to be good eating.
they are also supposed to be full of nutriants

:roll:
Love it! :lol:
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 am

Mistered wrote:
This one was about the size of a Siberian Husky, but I've seen them larger.
Thats a BIG coyote - where are you?
We are in a rural area on the North shore of Lake Ontario. I understand they grow to similar size in Northern New York and Michigan. There was a study done a while back because of their size here. It was thought at the time that they may not be coyotes at all, but a relative of the Red Wolf of the eastern U.S..
The study showed them to actually be a hybrid mix of coyote and the Eastern Timber (Algonquin) Wolf. Some people now refer to them as coywolves or woyotes. A few years back, our neighbor lost a 500lb bull calf to them one night.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x