Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

coyotes

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

coyotes

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am

news reports indicate that our country's coyote population is rapidly spreading across the country .... I haven't seen or heard one but have been told that they are now in our part of central NC .... wide spread reports of problems abound and in NC the following coyote hunting regulations apply :

"A Coyote Hunting or Coyote Depredation Permit is required for the taking of coyotes on private lands in the counties of Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, and Washington. In the counties of Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, and Washington, coyote hunting on public lands is prohibited, except coyotes may be taken on state-owned game lands by the holder of a Coyote Hunting permit and a NCWRC-issued permit for specific permitted hunt opportunities for coyotes.

In all other counties of North Carolina, coyotes may be taken on private lands anytime day or night; and on public lands without a permit from the hours of one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset, and with a permit from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. " .... http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Oth ... escription ....

historically in NC, being able to hunt a wild animal without a permit indicates the population is out of control and problems do exist

just curious, have they spread to your area and how does your state approach the issue
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: coyotes

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 am

Coyotes are also regulated by the Department of Fish and Game and are considered fur bearing animals. Depending on the county and who you ask you will get different answers. In Seattle if you discharge a firearm it is a felony. In the small town of Ephrata the Department of Fish and Game will tell you that a permit is needed. If you ask the sheriff he will tell you to just shoot the damn animals. About 3/4 of the state is federal and state land.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am

We have coyotes here in the Shenandoah Valley - and I think they can be taken any time (night or day) without a permit. A couple of years ago there was even a bounty on coyotes in some Virginia counties.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 am

I'm not sure of the specific regs here in SC as relates to taking them without a hunting license, but I do know that DNR is encouraging hunters to take coyotes when hunting. They are non native here and are spreading. I saw one the other night on my way home from work in a very suburban area.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 am

This was my 1st gunsmith job . I made this gun to carry on my dirt bike to hunt with . This was before 3 or 4 wheeler where designed or made .

0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:49 am

We've had coyotes for many years, now, up in the Great Lake states and the Northeastern states. Up here they grow to be quite a bit larger than they do out in the west. We hear them all the time at night and see them, now and then, on our property. I don't have any issues with them as long as I'm careful not to let our dogs get off too far in the woods when we take them for a run. They will take down a pet if they catch it alone in the woods.

Same with wolves. We have wolves in the area, too, though I've yet to see one in our neighborhood. However, we have friends in the area that do see them. The wolves need much greater expanses of wild country than the coyotes. From what I'm told, wolves won't tolerate coyotes and will pick them off when they can.

We don't have any reason to shoot coyotes, so we leave them alone and we do enjoy listening to them at night. Nothing against folks that do shoot them, because we know that can cause some real problems. Not much for livestock, up here, so most coyotes get hit by cars on the road than get shot.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Coyotes are common in CT, too. They are a nuisance, so our small game hunting season for them is all year long; everyday but Sunday. We lost a pet cat to one a few years ago.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:41 pm

North Country Gal wrote: We don't have any reason to shoot coyotes, so we leave them alone and we do enjoy listening to them at night. Nothing against folks that do shoot them, because we know that can cause some real problems. Not much for livestock, up here, so most coyotes get hit by cars on the road than get shot.
I love to listen too them howl too . :D :D They kill chicken , cat , dogs , rabbits and in a pack they kill deer , cattle , sheep and chase fat guy on dirt bikes . Wild dogs are a bigger problem at Mexican border if mixed with coyotes . I heard rancher paid a $25 bounty on a pair of coyote ears . :o :o
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Back in the 70's coyote fur was the rage and I hunted them for the fur. Getting $60 to $80 each was common and that was a lot of money back then. It was easy to call them up with a rabbit call and kill them with No 4 buck.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm

In Nebraska, it is anytime anywhere. That being outside of town, of course. Most prefer to do it fall and winter due to a much better fur harvest. They are everywhere, and play hell on the pheasant. We are considering using electronic calls, and getting thermal sight for the varmint rifle. Unfortunately, there are too many people here who take this kind of hunting too lightly. I have seen some really stupid activity.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.