Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

is hunting a consideration

In purchasing your Henry, was using it for hunting a consideration ?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 83

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: is hunting a consideration

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:46 pm

.454Casull should do the job.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Mgderf wrote:While I'll agree that the .44mag should serve you well for feral hogs, I would re-think the entire single-shot thought process.
If you do take a single-shot rifle, either carry a back-up with multiple rounds, or have another shooter standing by.
Feral hogs can be hard to kill, and EXTREMELY dangerous if merely wounded.
I have a handgun on my belt or next to me 24hrs a day, including right now at home. One of my Super Blackhawks would accompany me or one of my Glocks (If I wanted something lighter) in 9mm or 10mm. Carrying one of the Super Blackhawks would allow me to carry only one caliber of ammo. My Blackhawks are short barreled (4 5/8" & 3 3/4") so they are fairly easy to carry, and I am a bit more accurate with them than my Glocks. I even carry my 3 3/4" Bisley concealed on some days. I have a nice loaded pancake holster from Simply Rugged that conceals fairly nicely even with the six cartridge loops.

Remember the Wild America TV show with Marty Stouffer? He did a show in FL, I think south of me. He crept up to a group of feral hogs that were feeding. When he got to close one of them ran at him. Not so much charged as kind of trotted at him. He jumped a few feet up a tree and hung onto the trunk. The hog was just under his feet. It started feeding again and ignored him. He dropped back down onto the ground and it went after him again. He hopped a few feet back up into the tree and the hog ignored him again. Of course, the hog wasn't wounded and pumped full of adrenaline ;)
2 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Man I wish I could pack my Colt Richards revolver here. I'd carry it horseback for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 am

RanchRoper wrote:Man I wish I could pack my Colt Richards revolver here. I'd carry it horseback for sure.
I wish you could too!

I always considered using a Henry to hunt with. Unfortunately in Illinois, rifles are not allowed for deer hunting (muzzle loaders are). Slug shooting shotguns, muzzle loading rifles, and handguns are allowed if you meet the regulations. I wish Illinois would allow rifles shooting straight wall handgun ammunition for deer hunting. States bordering Illinois allow hunters to use them.

I am still waiting for my first opportunity to bust a coyote with the .45-70.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

whitelightning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by whitelightning » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 am

Hunting was absolutely a consideration when I was looking at the Henry. I will carry my 41 Mag Ruger and BBS 41 Mag for Bear. May use it for Cougar as well.
2 x
Henry Big Boy Steel 41 Mag
NRA Life Member

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

I bought mine because I thought is would be fun to shoot, so I voted no. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be opposed to hunting with should the need arise.
1 x
H006M, H015-223

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:02 am

I just started hunting two seasons ago here in AZ. So far I have not tagged a deer. From what I hear is a little tougher here than out east. I did get a jackrabbit with my POS 22 plinkster and 11 dollar scope. One head shot at 40 yards with 42 grain Winchester power point. The rabbit was actually very good. Made him in stew and country fried steaks out of the backstraps. My kids loved it.

Hopefully some day in the not to distant future I can go east and bag a couple of does. I'm not picky, strictly meat hunter, but AZ only lets you hunt bucks so two strikes for me so far.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:59 am

Hidden Mortimer wrote:I just started hunting two seasons ago here in AZ. So far I have not tagged a deer. From what I hear is a little tougher here than out east. I did get a jackrabbit with my POS 22 plinkster and 11 dollar scope. One head shot at 40 yards with 42 grain Winchester power point. The rabbit was actually very good. Made him in stew and country fried steaks out of the backstraps. My kids loved it.

Hopefully some day in the not to distant future I can go east and bag a couple of does. I'm not picky, strictly meat hunter, but AZ only lets you hunt bucks so two strikes for me so far.
Here in FL they have one weekend a year doe are legal, which seems cool. We have plenty of public hunting, but with a 5 point minimum limit, it's pretty tough to go the public route for deer here if Florida. Around here, if you're still hunting you could be 10 ft from a deer and not see it; yeah it's that thick. Stands are the way to go, but I don't have the patience for that.

Hogs and small game different story.

I love the story with the kids enjoying the rabbit you scored, priceless.................
0 x

Tape
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Tape » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

nope, just wanted a Henry .22mag
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:28 am

Not much of a hunter, but for what I do I tend to gravitate towards the bolt action, .22WMR in particular.

The H001 would be more for harvesting squirrels in the yard, and it's perfect for that.
0 x