Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

is hunting a consideration

In purchasing your Henry, was using it for hunting a consideration ?

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 83

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: is hunting a consideration

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:53 pm

DAVIDF wrote:
Mgderf wrote:While I'll agree that the .44mag should serve you well for feral hogs, I would re-think the entire single-shot thought process.
If you do take a single-shot rifle, either carry a back-up with multiple rounds, or have another shooter standing by.
Feral hogs can be hard to kill, and EXTREMELY dangerous if merely wounded.
I have a handgun on my belt or next to me 24hrs a day, including right now at home. One of my Super Blackhawks would accompany me or one of my Glocks (If I wanted something lighter) in 9mm or 10mm. Carrying one of the Super Blackhawks would allow me to carry only one caliber of ammo. My Blackhawks are short barreled (4 5/8" & 3 3/4") so they are fairly easy to carry, and I am a bit more accurate with them than my Glocks. I even carry my 3 3/4" Bisley concealed on some days. I have a nice loaded pancake holster from Simply Rugged that conceals fairly nicely even with the six cartridge loops.

Remember the Wild America TV show with Marty Stouffer? He did a show in FL, I think south of me. He crept up to a group of feral hogs that were feeding. When he got to close one of them ran at him. Not so much charged as kind of trotted at him. He jumped a few feet up a tree and hung onto the trunk. The hog was just under his feet. It started feeding again and ignored him. He dropped back down onto the ground and it went after him again. He hopped a few feet back up into the tree and the hog ignored him again. Of course, the hog wasn't wounded and pumped full of adrenaline ;)
Have one strapped on my side here on the place or in the truck at all times. Not to mention concealed carry when needs be. As to the feral hogs , we have plenty of them for sure. Several years back some fellars brought in some Russian Boar and turned loose in the mountains and they bred with the native feral hogs. These ol boys love to hog hunt especially with dogs. Lot of them like to run in and stick them once the dogs get them bayed. It ain't for the faint of heart I can guarantee you! Anyway , these old hogs down here are some bad dudes and would just as soon charge and eat you up as to look at you I can promise that.
2 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:06 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:
Mgderf wrote:While I'll agree that the .44mag should serve you well for feral hogs, I would re-think the entire single-shot thought process.
If you do take a single-shot rifle, either carry a back-up with multiple rounds, or have another shooter standing by.
Feral hogs can be hard to kill, and EXTREMELY dangerous if merely wounded.
I have a handgun on my belt or next to me 24hrs a day, including right now at home. One of my Super Blackhawks would accompany me or one of my Glocks (If I wanted something lighter) in 9mm or 10mm. Carrying one of the Super Blackhawks would allow me to carry only one caliber of ammo. My Blackhawks are short barreled (4 5/8" & 3 3/4") so they are fairly easy to carry, and I am a bit more accurate with them than my Glocks. I even carry my 3 3/4" Bisley concealed on some days. I have a nice loaded pancake holster from Simply Rugged that conceals fairly nicely even with the six cartridge loops.

Remember the Wild America TV show with Marty Stouffer? He did a show in FL, I think south of me. He crept up to a group of feral hogs that were feeding. When he got to close one of them ran at him. Not so much charged as kind of trotted at him. He jumped a few feet up a tree and hung onto the trunk. The hog was just under his feet. It started feeding again and ignored him. He dropped back down onto the ground and it went after him again. He hopped a few feet back up into the tree and the hog ignored him again. Of course, the hog wasn't wounded and pumped full of adrenaline ;)
Have one strapped on my side here on the place or in the truck at all times. Not to mention concealed carry when needs be. As to the feral hogs , we have plenty of them for sure. Several years back some fellars brought in some Russian Boar and turned loose in the mountains and they bred with the native feral hogs. These ol boys love to hog hunt especially with dogs. Lot of them like to run in and stick them once the dogs get them bayed. It ain't for the faint of heart I can guarantee you! Anyway , these old hogs down here are some bad dudes and would just as soon charge and eat you up as to look at you I can promise that.

Yeah, I am sure those are a bit more aggressive than most of the feral hogs here in FL!
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am

Where I live in Texas it is darn hard to find public land where you can hunt. Hunting leases are big business in Texas, expect to pay around $2000 for a year long lease or $150 a day for short hunts.
Public land is around - but they seem to be for bird hunting and are usually quite small, a couple of square blocks at most.
So, hunting is less a consideration that target shooting. I shoot lever action silhouette - chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams at 40/50/75&100 yards (and you don't have to clean them).
M
2 x

Kitch
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Kitch » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Yes. Buying a Henry for my wife and daughter because of the low recoil
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 am

Haven't hunted "big game" since 2012. My two [so far] Henry's are paper punchers, steel plate hitters, empty can blasters.
Retired type shooting. That's me.
0 x

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Found an all-weather 30-30, so yes, hunting was a consideration.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Be patient with us, PatientWolf. I haven't seen anyone greet you as a new HRF member yet. So....

Welcome from the Show-Me-State!
KCMO.jpg
Yup, the .30-30 is an excellent hunting caliber. I think it's a good choice.
Enjoy your time on the Forum.

PT7
PatientWolf wrote:Found an all-weather 30-30, so yes, hunting was a consideration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon!
PatientWolf wrote:...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234