Hunting Permission

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Hunting Permission

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:19 am

rickhem wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 am
I agree that it's common and welcome.....to a point. This guy and his family once owned the majority of the land around here, and he apparently had the house that I now own built in the mid 90s. He still feels that he can come and go whenever and wherever he wants. I put my number in his cell phone, a flip phone, and asked him to let me know whenever he was going to be on my land. I shoot frequently, and I told him I didn't want to be shooting if he was roaming around down in the woods. Hasn't done that once.
I have a rule that if you want to walk my property you have to have property I can walk. I don’t allow city people on my land. Only locals.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:57 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:19 am
rickhem wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 am
I agree that it's common and welcome.....to a point. This guy and his family once owned the majority of the land around here, and he apparently had the house that I now own built in the mid 90s. He still feels that he can come and go whenever and wherever he wants. I put my number in his cell phone, a flip phone, and asked him to let me know whenever he was going to be on my land. I shoot frequently, and I told him I didn't want to be shooting if he was roaming around down in the woods. Hasn't done that once.
I have a rule that if you want to walk my property you have to have property I can walk. I don’t allow city people on my land. Only locals.
Another neighbor, who has been hunting my land for a couple years now, and who also has lived in the area for decades, told me that a lot of people have issues with that other guy. He's been banned from two of the other properties that border mine, although he still sneaks in during spring turkey. He said that he didn't want to warn me without knowing me too well himself, but he saw that I found out pretty quickly by myself.

On another note, past history has shown me again and again that when the women get a weird vibe from someone, trust that.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:07 am

We don't hunt, but have a lot of deer on the property. The guy that cut our pastures for hay this year is a bow hunter, and during a break in cutting, was talking about the hunting season and we mentioned all the deer, coyotes, bobcats, etc. He asked if we hunted them in the season and we told him no, but if HE wanted to, we'd be happy for him to bow hunt the west fields/woods. ONLY him, no friends, no buddies. He asked about his 15 year old daughter. Yup, she'll do. They came and walked the property in August and set up their stands and will be Hunting this month and next. Always call before coming. THEY know that the fence lines are covered by cameras.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:22 pm

I was disappointed last season when I allowed a friend to hunt a tract of land that I own but which I have not yet been able to develop with food plots. I allowed him to hunt it with a bow but not to take any guests. I later found out from an adjacent landowner that me took a guest and the guest used a rifle.

I let him finish out the season after we had a discussion about trust and liability concerns. He is a heck of a guy, a Wounded Warrior, but this season, I declined to let him return to the property.

With one exception, that is the reason I don't let people access my property without my presence, especially if they want to hunt. The one exception is a retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant I have known for three decades but even so, he doesn't like to hunt my properties if I am not present.

Trust is easier to keep than it is to regain.
6 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:44 pm

Going against the grain here, I don't let anyone hunt on my land. One reason? I don't want to get shot, lol. I like to roam my land any time I want and don't want to feel restricted. The other reason is it doesn't offend anyone including someone that I don't like. One guy asked me and I just told him that I tell everyone "no" and if I let him hunt it would only cause trouble. He easily understood. Also, it's not like I have the only hunting grounds in the county. There is deer all over the place here.
3 x
NRA Member

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:48 am

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:44 pm
. Also, it's not like I have the only hunting grounds in the county. There is deer all over the place here.
I don't know about Virginia but in addition to public lands, South Carolina has many hunt clubs. Many opportunities for a hunter to find access.

Some of the hunt clubs are deluxe and expensive and others are just access to land and are far more affordable.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:28 am

HenryFan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:22 pm
I was disappointed last season when I allowed a friend to hunt a tract of land that I own but which I have not yet been able to develop with food plots. I allowed him to hunt it with a bow but not to take any guests. I later found out from an adjacent landowner that me took a guest and the guest used a rifle.

I let him finish out the season after we had a discussion about trust and liability concerns. He is a heck of a guy, a Wounded Warrior, but this season, I declined to let him return to the property.

With one exception, that is the reason I don't let people access my property without my presence, especially if they want to hunt. The one exception is a retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant I have known for three decades but even so, he doesn't like to hunt my properties if I am not present.

Trust is easier to keep than it is to regain.
I often used the analogy that trust, honor, and integrity are gifts. You are given them by those you interact with. When you break them, you can't walk in to Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot; or go online to Amazon and order their replacements in five gallon buckets or ten pound bags. They must be rebuilt and in some cases it's a monumental task. In others, it's a task you'll never achieve.
4 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:36 pm

Permission? We don't need no stinkin' permission. Some folks are simply bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/01/29/richmond-hollywood-buck-arrest-deer/ wrote:
RICHMOND — A man has been arrested in the December killing of the “Hollywood buck,” a legendary deer known around the country for its massive 29-point rack and a habit of appearing like a vision in the city’s historic Hollywood Cemetery.

Jason Walters, 36, of Richmond was arrested Sunday and charged with 19 violations including illegal possession of wildlife, trespassing, failing to check and tag a deer, and littering, according to the state’s Department of Wildlife Resources.

The charges also relate to two other bucks that authorities said Walters poached from a part of Richmond that includes neighborhoods, cemeteries and parkland. The charges are misdemeanors, according to Maj. Ryan Shuler, deputy chief of law enforcement for the wildlife department, and a few of them carry possible jail time as well as fines.

The deer was a carefully guarded celebrity in Richmond; many who photographed it concealed the location to discourage poachers. Residents in the Maymont section of Richmond — a collection of cottages on hilltops above the James River — estimated that the deer was about eight years old. They called him Prince, because he seemed to be the offspring of another legendary buck known as King.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:35 am

We rarely allowed hunting on our properties. As stated by others, it's a matter of trust. IF/When we did, they were always required to notify in advance when they wanted to hunt, then check in and out of the property. That way we knew when they would be ON the property. This was a courtesy for both of us. I would refrain from shooting on my range on the day they planned to hunt, and we would stay out of the woods to avoid arrows in any parts of our bodies. (Only bow hunting was allowed, except for a few Disabled Vets, they could hunt with shotguns.) They received written permission ON a copy of the written rules. No question of them knowing what was expected. We never had an issue. I also never had a problem saying NO. (Which I said OFTEN.) As many have said, there are many places to hunt, and we had a small farm, but it was loaded with deer and other game.
1 x