Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What can you tell me about hooking up a

If you can give it, or need it, post here
Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

What can you tell me about hooking up a

Post by Catherine » Sun May 22, 2016 9:09 pm

STRAIGHT TALK type of cellular telephone to go online to read this forum, a bit of news and a tiny bit of email?

Can I connect a ST non contract telephone to a NON CONTRACT tablet or notebook?

I may call around and see if someone can explain this to me.

We have no cellular telephone.

We plan on keeping the simple land line - house telephone for now.

Do you think that an ATT or a Verizon set up would be better?

We want to dump Charter for our ISP. That is all we use Charter for now. Their telephone system stinks from what I have seen with other people. Package deal. We don't want cable or a dish for the boob tube. We are not interested in paying for something that is rarely watched.

Cate
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: What can you tell me about hooking up a

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 23, 2016 10:54 am

I can't help you. I'm gizmo challenged.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon May 23, 2016 3:05 pm

Cate, you would need to be able to make your phone a wi Fi hot spot. If it can do that, I think it can be used to connect anything too. I'd wait to hear another answer or two though. Call Straight Talk maybe?
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 pm

I spoke to a sales rep for Straight Talk here in town not through a call center.

It is too LONG to type out now on my questions/answers but if I go with them or any other set up... I will post it here.

Apparently they (ST) don't want you to CONNECT some OTHER 'notebook or tablet' to the ST device/phone and USE the ST plan. If they find out that you are doing that... they will drop you as a customer.

ST uses VERIZON and ATT for towers out here and in some parts of the country.

PARTS OF EASTERN MONTANA, we don't live there or go there, and in many parts of this part (Western Montana and NW Montana near the Canadian border.) of the state there are huge DEAD ZONES... mountains, trees, valleys, etc. There is a MAP about this to view and he told me a bit about it.

You can use the ST telephone if you are at a place where they offer FREE wifi connections like if you go to a gym, coffee shop or wherever and really WANT to go online. This would be nice for real estate for me if I am traveling with my husband.

The ST rep and another rep from the other day's conversation went on about bytes and gb and other stuff that I STILL don't understand.

I only asked about the UNLIMTED basic plan and we don't type/text but that comes with it.

It would be for simple computer connections online using their telephone for an ISP and maybe a few telephone calls if THAT.

I don't use the telephone (House land line.) that much at home like some people do. My husband has enough of telephones, computers, etc. at a very high stress job. He rarely uses the telephone at home.

We don't do Facebook and all of that stuff.

Right now, this is the ONLY forum that I post on too. I rarely read/scan a couple of other forums.

I check out the news and newspapers online but I do not READ LONG STORIES all over the place that just repeat the same vomit over and over again too.

I do not listen to the radio online that much nationwide, from Canada or overseas - all over the world as I previously did. I got sick of the NEWS but sometimes they still have some interesting shows.

Basically, my husband QUIT IT ALL a LONG, long and long time ago or almost all of it and he only Reads the national/overseas news and a couple of sports things for 30 to 60 minutes in a 24 hour time frame. He has not posted on jack squat for years now.

We are basically weaned off a lot of online reading.

I could use my library and he could use his gym where he walks year round for a connection too.

Cate
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon May 23, 2016 8:32 pm

They said that ST can be used to text (We don't do that.), for a telephone and DATA meaning computer use.

So the ST device or telephone is your computer source to check email and news or if you need to get online.

I can't connect the ST device to my old laptop or his newer laptop and try to use it that way is my understanding of it all. NO connection to some other notebook or tablet. I don't understand notebooks or tablets but I was willing to TRY ONE when this OLD LAPTOP dies.

Cate
0 x