Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Serious Intel CPU Design Flaw

If you can give it, or need it, post here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Serious Intel CPU Design Flaw

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:12 am

a couple of days ago I received the following from a friend who is very much up on computer technology :

"This is a big one. Intel CPUs made during the last 10 years have a design flaw which allows any program access to read kernel storage. Can't be fixed in firmware, so the OS has to handle it. Microsoft, Linux companies and Apple are all working on fixes, which will require constant swapping of CPU cache memory in and out. Predicted that machines will take between a 5% and 30% hit in performance because of this. Things which could be read in CPU cache right now are login IDs and passwords, and all kinds of personal information. This is a really big WOW. I wonder how long it will take for Intel to alter the design of the chips. "

not being very computer literate, I had to ask for a translation in regular language : :oops:

"Any computer using an Intel processor manufactured during the past 10 years has an exposure to having secret data (passwords, userIDs) stolen, even from just a web page browse. Not a virus. Not an operating system issue. The actual hardware is bad (design issue of the chip itself). The only fix that can work will be an OS update that will use a lot of processing power from the CPU it will be protecting (swapping the cache in and out as needed). Microsoft is working on an OS update. Apple is working on an OS update. Linux companies are working on updates."

Intel is saying they have developed both firmware and software patches that will protect their processors which have been manufactured over the last five years from the current "Meltdown" and "Spectre" exploits that are known about .... Intel also says these firmware and software patches should be rolled out by the end of next week.

my friend is an Apple fan .... he was able to talk my wife through Apple's counter action on her Iphone .... his advise :

"Start the "App Store" app, then on the bottom line towards the right, you'll see "Updates". Click that and then if there are any updates, at the top left select "Update All".

For the future (just my suggestion), start the "Settings" app. Scroll down and select "iTunes & App Store". On the right hand col, make sure the "Apps" slider switch is ON. "

I did see a few seconds of coverage of this on FOX News this morning and I understand it has also been covered on Drudge .... I consider it to be interesting for those of us that use Mozilla Firefox, release noted as and update listed as 57.0.4 is designed to help with some (not all) of the problem
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Serious Intel CPU Design Flaw

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am

As Sergeant Phil Esterhaus famously said on the TV program Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there." It's a best practice to install security updates for OS, anti-virus, browsers, and other programs as soon as they're released.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Whatever it is I hope it kills my cell phone... :)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

I dont care what you have there isnt a computer pad or cell phone out that given enough money cant be hacked. They can patch all they want but theres always a way thru it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Apple has just released macOS 10.13.2 (an incremental update) and iOS 11.2.2 (for iPhone and iPad) with changes to help protect against the Spectre vulnerability. Apple also announced they continue to work on remediation for these exploits.

NOTE : I have almost no clue as to the technical stuff behind the above note .... I'm just passing on info sent to me by a fellow who has a solid background and understanding of Apple products
0 x