Non-members and HRF

If you can give it, or need it, post here
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Non-members and HRF

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:17 am

Daytime Dave & Sir Henry,

I think another HRF member earlier asked a question about access to the HRF by non-members. On the two other firearms forums I mostly use, I can view/read posts without having to log in. That doesn't happen with this site. From what I see, if I get to the HRF at http://henryrifleforums.com/, and I click on the "board index" link, it says "This board has no forums." It seems like this is an "unintended roadblock" to anyone wanting to see what the site is all about. BTW, how does someone who doesn't know about the HRF actually find the web site? I've done a web search on Henry forums, etc., and the HRF web address never appears. Yet we still have new members joining, so they are finding the new site in some way.

Anyway, my question is aren't we "losing" potential future members, without some type of "read-only" access? Maybe I'm missing something; but that's my question of the new day! Thanks.
0 x

~Пока~

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Non-members and HRF

Post by Squatch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:01 am

I'm on a couple of forums that are like this. It doesn't seem to hurt membership but does keep down problems and trolls.

But it brings up a question that has bothered me on them and here. Who are the quests the register shows logged in and how is that done?
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 am

I think that there are pros and cons on the set up too. I think that it keeps a LOT of spam away from the forum and helps us by not getting hacked.

I think that potential members are finding out about this forum from some other links on the WWWeb on other forums. Or maybe from a Google search?

I wondered about the guests that show on this forum's main page too.

I don't see how they can read the forum unless they are checking it out and realize that you have to join the forum to read it and post on it. I know that I can't read or post here without signing in and I had to join the forum to do this. I knew what this forum was supposed to be about, HENRY firearms, and who was going to start it up so I was not worried about joining a forum with a group of people that I would be concerned about.

Cate
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:50 am

I'll look into it not showing posts. Dave and I don't want this to become the biggest forum on the internet. It has room for a lot of growth and that is fine with us but we want diehard Henry fans even if they only start out as casual fans. Our goal is to keep everyone that joined posting or at least viewing the threads. Some members have mentioned they just read a lot and don't post. That is fine with us as we installed a "Like" button. We need a lot of activity so we can attract and keep sponsors.

We have a big surprise coming for those that have already joined.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks for your perspective as an ADMIN, Sir Henry....helpful. I'm good with whatever you gents set up.

And Squatch, I never thought about the current configuration "keeping down problems and trolls." Makes good sense.

BTW, in my original post I thought someone else has mentioned this earlier. I think it was Cate.....a dim memory bell rang just now when I read that post! ;)

So I'm good with all I just learned....thanks to all :!:
0 x

~Пока~

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:34 pm

A lot of people like myself arrived here from a post on Rimfire Central. At present, the old site has information about this site.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:49 pm

steelersfan97 wrote:A lot of people like myself arrived here from a post on Rimfire Central. At present, the old site has information about this site.
We gained a lot of people from Rimfire Central.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:34 pm

I just made guests able to see the whole forum. We'll see how that affects things. We have the staff in place to handle just about everything. The members here keep a very close eye out.

Thanks everyone.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Great job Dave. Now go have your adult beverage.
1 x