Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Web hosted photographs

If you can give it, or need it, post here
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Web hosted photographs

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:11 am

There are several free photo sharing websites on the internet. I will post some of the most highly rated free sites. Be advised, while they are free to join, they may require you to pay if you want a large storage capacity. There is plenty of free storage on all of them so don't worry about it, just be aware. Also, some will offer for you to purchase pictures you like, if you wanted to. You certainly don't have to buy anything. Some will have advertisements. All you have to do is register with any of the ones you want.

I'm going to lock this thread and share different sites, some thoughts and maybe examples. I am in no way an expert, but several members are having difficulty. Sir Henry and I encourage all members to share their photos here by using an internet hosting site. It will help our site.

If you have questions or comments, please start a thread in the computer section.

I did an extensive amount of research this afternoon on photo hosting websites. I joined several that will not even be mentioned here. They were horrible. It took a long time, but I had the day off and it was cold outside. I wanted to experience these sites like many of you will experience the recommended sites, as a new person who had never used it (them). The sites I have given positive reviews for are not simple to master. You can be posting photographs most likely with a half hours devotion to familiarizing yourself with the sites basics. You have the ability to post more photographs in a single post here if you use a link from a photo hosting site. This site only allows three photographs of a certain size limit here on the forum. I'm not sure, but I think we can fill up the amount of available space for the whole forum at some point in time. As I stated just a couple of paragraphs previously, if you can use a photo hosting site to post photographs here, please do. It will help the site.

This is a small site made up of great Henry enthusiasts. It may not be like some of the larger forums where posting photographs is easier, but invest a bit of time if possible and learn how to post your photographs. We all like to see photographs. Please let me know if I can assist you. I'll do my best.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Web hosted photographs

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 am

Photobucket

It is very popular and easy to use. It has apps that you can put on your Iphone or android phone that will upload your photos that you take with your phone directly to your photobucket account.

It has a very good help section on the site that tells you about features and how they work.

I recommend this site.

Once you have your account set up and working, you can begin.

If you plan to have your photos easily viewed on websites and forums, like this one, you might want to choose the size that your photos will be seen when linked from photobucket. To do this, you go to the button that drops down with profile, settings and log out. It also tells you how much storage space you are using. It is located on the main line at the top right of the main page. It is just to the left of the orange cart button. Go to settings. Under settings, click Albums. Go down to Upload Options. Click the blue Customize Upload Options. There you pick the size your pictures will be on the places that you share them.

This is 640 x 480. Image

This is 800 x 600. Image

I use 640 x 480. You can choose what ever you want. Just remember members using dial up or other slow services have a harder time loading pictures the bigger they are. 640 x 480 is recommended for websites and forums. 800 x 600 is a good size, but anything larger may take a long time for some to load if they have slower internet service.

You can add pictures here from the full editor. You can't add pictures from quick reply. If you are in quick reply and want to add a picture, just click on full editor under the text box and it will put your text into the full editor box.

From the photobucket site, select your picture and open it on photobucket. With the cursor over the picture, right click and select "copy image URL". Come back to this site and put the blinking cursor where you want the picture to be in the text box. Go above the text box and click Img. This will appear where you had the blinking cursor : (img)(/img). The blinking cursor will be right in the middle of the parenthesis boxes. It's hard to put the cursor there, so do your self a favor and hit the space bar two or three times. It will now look like this (img) (/img) Place the cursor over the blinking cursor and right click and hit paste. Do this for each picture you want to put in your post. If you want to make sure you did it correctly, click preview before you submit your post. Pictures will actually show up in the previewed post if you did it correctly. Plain text will show up if you did it wrong.

There is another method in photobucket as well. In your library at photobucket, under each thumbnail will be different web address lines. They can be chosen in your album settings on photobucket. Usually they are : email and IM, direct, Html, and img. You can highlight these lines, right click on them and copy them. I use direct link. This provides the most privacy. Select the direct link, highlight it and copy it. Come back to the site here and follow the same procedure as above. Remember to preview your post no matter how you put your pictures into your post so that you can make sure they show up.

****Note. If you use the Img line instead of direct link, you can place that anywhere in your post without using the img button above the text box. However, once you submit your post, anyone viewing that post can hold the cursor over your photograph and it will take them to your photobucket account. They can then look at anything else that is in the album you posted out of. If you don't care, that's fine. For me, I only want to show you the photograph I selected. You can lock your albums to private, this allows only the photograph you share to be seen if someone visits your account. Be advised though, if you use your real name for your account, as many people do, it is visible to people who visit your site. Check over all the privacy settings they offer to limit your exposure. Remember, we are a nice friendly forum, but we are on the INTERNET. That's how we all got here. ANYONE can see what we post. Overall, photobucket has good privacy.

It may take time, but practice. Use the preview button. If you have done it correctly, you will see a picture in the preview box. If you end up submitting your post and no photograph appears, you can click edit at the top right of your post and fix it. If all else fails, you can always ask Sir Henry or me to delete a post you made error.

Good luck.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:13 am

Image Shack

This site is pretty similar to photobucket. I set up an account there today to see how it works. I liked it.

It did not offer a free app to upload from my phone from what I could tell. I'm sticking with photobucket. This one would be fine to use too.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:13 am

Flikr

This site lets you host one (1) Tb of data on their site for free. I joined it today to have a look around. It is great as an in house photo Sharing site. Members view other members photographs and can comment on them. There's other features too. It was too much bother to use as a photo hosting site. It was very difficult to re size the photos and it was a privacy nightmare. All the settings for maximum privacy need to be manually set. There were many aspects that would be daunting for anyone not familiar with moderate computer skills.

Leave this one to others is my advice. It was a good site if you want to stay in it and look around.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

FreeImageHosting.net

This site was not worth talking about. I wouldn't bother even looking.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 am

Google +

Google + was something I have had since my new desktop with Windowq 8.1 and my new android phone. Google Plus is a great thing if you use the Google Chrome browser. You can log onto your account from any computer anywhere. It is also set up on my phone to send any photographs or videos right to my Google Plus account as soon as the phone connects to WiFi. I really like that feature. It is a bit more complicated to take a photograph from Google Plus and post it on a forum. I learned a trick that works, but I would not like to do it all the time. Google Plus has plenty of features built in. One of the best is that you can automatically set it to enhance your photographs. I like that.

In the photobucket post here, I used a picture I had in Google Plus to illustrate 800 x 600.

If you have Google Plus and for some reason don't want to use another hosting service, I can further explain what you can do.

There are many good reasons to have a Google Plus account. It's not my preferred photo hosting site, but it has many great features.
0 x