Window 10: Yes or No

If you can give it, or need it, post here
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Window 10: Yes or No

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

resumed from: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =20#p89458
back when it was free, I cloned my W7 desktop hard-drive and then did the free upgrade to W10 on the cloned drive. Now with a hard drive swap I can run either W7 or W10. The bi-annual W10 updates since the free days have made W10 much more user friendly. I'll soon stop using the W7 drive altogether. My laptop has been W10 from the beginning.
dave77 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:I wasn't going to change but the computer died.
Yeh, I understand :) that's exactly why Carol had to change. ;)
Unfortunately,

"After 10 years of servicing, January 14, 2020, is the last day Microsoft will offer security updates for computers running Windows 7 SP1"

I should have got 10 when it was free, I understand you didn't have to install it right away. Looks like a OEM version is going to cost me around $100 or $150 for Pro.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:41 pm

The main reason I didn't want to go to win 10 was the automatic updating of video drivers, I don't mind automatic updates of Windows but I want to decide when to update my video drivers and prefer to update them with Nvidia's updater. I understand there is now a workaround to prevent auto driver updates.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Know the feeling, except for me it's the Realtek Wifi driver. Won't auto-connect to Wifi after the laptop is powered on. The Wifi driver that came with the laptop works fine, but then the auto driver update over writes it a few days after I roll the driver back to the original.

I have Nvidia on my desktop. I went through W10 updates a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see the Nvidia updater only update the Nvidia User Experience App. Saw the driver update would only come through the W10 updater. But then I have auto driver update enabled.

Anyway, here is how to prevent auto driver updates...
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disa ... windows-10
dave77 wrote:The main reason I didn't want to go to win 10 was the automatic updating of video drivers, I don't mind automatic updates of Windows but I want to decide when to update my video drivers and prefer to update them with Nvidia's updater. I understand there is now a workaround to prevent auto driver updates.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 am

I guess I have to update to win10 before win7 support ends in January. Don't think I'll have any trouble with the install but there is one thing I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

I will be installing win10 on my 256gb ssd. I have the My Photos, My Music and My Documents folders and some other stuff on a HDD. I have a few programs installed on the hdd but I can remove them and re-install them later but wondered if I plug in the hdd after installing win10 will it see the folders or will I have to reformat the hdd.

I do have everything on the hdd backed up to a usb hdd so maybe it would be better to move everything back to the hdd after moving the Win 10 My photos, etc. to the hdd. I do want to do a clean win10 install rather than a upgrade install.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:58 am

Yes Win10 will see the folders. You might see some warning messages the first time you do it.
dave77 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 am
... wondered if I plug in the hdd after installing win10 will it see the folders ...
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Completely forgot about the "Windows10: Yes or No" thread started on July 23, 2016. Just over three years after that discussion, I bought a Chromebook this last August 7, 2019. It runs on the ChromeOS system, and I no longer use any version of MS Windows. I will not go backwards now that I'm enjoying this new operating system.

The Lenovo PC I've been using before the Chromebook purchase had Windows10 running. I never liked Windows10, and constantly had challenges with it.

Now I can easily answer the subject question, ""Windows10: Yes or No?"
It is a definite :!: NO :!:

I really like my Chromebook. It shines for me! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Ya the user experience with Chromebook is pretty nice. Hardware version of the Chrome browser.

Though we had a devil of a time performing regulatory testing on them. First up the Chromebook requires a network connection to be usable. Only software that runs on it, from the Google app store. That stopped us for few days until we figured out that ChromeOS is just a windowed version of Linux.
With some magic key presses we could abort the loading of ChromeOS and get to a Linux prompt that would then allow us to load our test suites.
PT7 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:24 pm
Completely forgot about the "Windows10: Yes or No" thread started on July 23, 2016. Just over three years after that discussion, I bought a Chromebook this last August 7, 2019. It runs on the ChromeOS system, and I no longer use any version of MS Windows. I will not go backwards now that I'm enjoying this new operating system.

The Lenovo PC I've been using before the Chromebook purchase had Windows10 running. I never liked Windows10, and constantly had challenges with it.

Now I can easily answer the subject question, ""Windows10: Yes or No?"
It is a definite :!: NO :!:

I really like my Chromebook. It shines for me! ;)
Last edited by Mags on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:31 pm

we still have the same computers using Windows 10 + updates that came on our computer .... all I can say is, it works
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Got Win10 installed and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I had a short experience with Win 8 on a laptop I later sold and I hated it, probably why I was so hesitant to go to Win10. Win10 seems a lot more like Win7, just a lot of stuff is in different locations. I bought a new, larger SSD and did a clean install, Win 10 did see my folders and stuff on my 1Tb HDD when I hooked it up but I went ahead and reformatted it and moved most everything that was on it back on from my USB backup drive.

I tried using the new Performance Monitor (replaces the old Windows Experience app). I was concerned as it rated all my computer components at zero but I knew my computer couldn't be that bad so I checked at it userbenchmark.com and it scored quite well for a 5 year old computer. If I was to get back into high end gaming I would probably need a better graphic card but it's a great score for a desktop.

I'm getting rid of a lot of accumulated stuff I don't use and am going to try and use my folders more and keep my desktop a little less cluttered. As you can see I tend to put a lot of shortcuts and other stuff on it. That's an older photo, it was actually almost completely full.

0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Happy to see you got it done and worked out. :P
dave77 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 pm
Got Win10 installed and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I had a short experience with Win 8 on a laptop I later sold and I hated it, probably why I was so hesitant to go to Win10. Win10 seems a lot more like Win7, just a lot of stuff is in different locations. I bought a new, larger SSD and did a clean install, Win 10 did see my folders and stuff on my 1Tb HDD when I hooked it up but I went ahead and reformatted it and moved most everything that was on it back on from my USB backup drive.

I tried using the new Performance Monitor (replaces the old Windows Experience app). I was concerned as it rated all my computer components at zero but I knew my computer couldn't be that bad so I checked at it userbenchmark.com and it scored quite well for a 5 year old computer. If I was to get back into high end gaming I would probably need a better graphic card but it's a great score for a desktop.

I'm getting rid of a lot of accumulated stuff I don't use and am going to try and use my folders more and keep my desktop a little less cluttered. As you can see I tend to put a lot of shortcuts and other stuff on it. That's an older photo, it was actually almost completely full.

0 x