Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Direct TV Billing

If you can give it, or need it, post here
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Direct TV Billing

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 am

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:I never had any kind of paid TV, but have to say that Direct TV has sent my so many flyers and letters through the years trying to get me to buy it, that I could wallpaper a whole house with them.

Even though it wouldn't matter anyway, a little known secret is that, in most cases and even us way out ien the country, you get can get a bunch of TV for free out there with a good quality Antenna.
Yes, my sister goes the antenna route, but only gets about 6 channels.
Probably all one needs anymore anyway! So much garbage on TV anymore... :roll:
I would, however, miss my DVR. I record lots of things so I can watch them when I want to, not to mention the pause feature.
I hear ya about the flyers though! I still get them!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am

All the features of internet TV, watch what you want when you want, resume from where you left off, pause fast fwd and reverse. I don't miss DVR at all, don't need it. My computer is now the DVR.
markiver54 wrote: I would, however, miss my DVR. I record lots of things so I can watch them when I want to, not to mention the pause feature.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 am

Mags wrote:.
All the features of internet TV, watch what you want when you want, resume from where you left off, pause fast fwd and reverse. I don't miss DVR at all, don't need it. My computer is now the DVR.
markiver54 wrote: I would, however, miss my DVR. I record lots of things so I can watch them when I want to, not to mention the pause feature.
Good point Mags!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm

folks should most certainly use what's best for them because the reality is, one size doesn't fit all .... we don't go to movies, shows, concerts and such .... our main source or entertainment is television .... with our travels we have found that over the air reception varies from pretty good to nonexistent, as is internet service .... bottom line, we've found that satellite service and having our own mobile hotspot works best for us .... so, that's what we use at home and on the road ....
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 pm

JEBar wrote:folks should most certainly use what's best for them because the reality is, one size doesn't fit all .... we don't go to movies, shows, concerts and such .... our main source or entertainment is television .... with our travels we have found that over the air reception varies from pretty good to nonexistent, as is internet service .... bottom line, we've found that satellite service and having our own mobile hotspot works best for us .... so, that's what we use at home and on the road ....
Also a very good point and consideration Jim!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 pm

markiver54 wrote:Yes, my sister goes the antenna route, but only gets about 6 channels.
Right now we are getting about 24 or 25 Channels with an Indoor Antenna. If we put an Outside one up, we could probably get even more. Between the TV and the free Roku off of the computer, we get a ton of stuff. My wife also has Amazon Prime for online order discounts and to our surprise, we get even more free TV.

My neighbor has a Dish and loses reception every time it rains and pays $90 a month for it to boot. I'm in the process of convincing him to go the Antenna route. Most people don't really believe it till they actually see it for themselves.

The Antenna TV quality is superior, the negative though is it doesn't like Wind. On a windy day, it will cut out here and there. I also bought an Amplifier to install for even better reception, but haven't installed it yet. The wind issue isn't that big of a deal, but anytime it gets bothersome, we just remind ourselves that we can't really complain too much when it is all for free.

Over the years we have saved multi $1000's. I actually know the ball park figure, but y'all will hate me if I tell it, lol.
0 x
NRA Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:09 pm

If anyone still has those old rabbit ear antennas. They are once again valuable for digital over the air TV.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Mags wrote:If anyone still has those old rabbit ear antennas. They are once again valuable for digital over the air TV.
That may be true, but a High Quality TV Antenna, like an Antenna Direct which has many optional choices is the best way to go and can make a big difference. I've tried some antenna's that were supposed to work wonders only to not work at all. I got my first Antenna Direct many years ago and it still works great. The company will also help you choose the right one and will also send you a diagram online showing a chart from your location.

Here is a link to it, but be sure to study on the UHF and VHF part. Don't get both if you only need one. The one I personally have is not listed anymore for some reason. Mine is UHF only and has a Reflector but should still be available.

https://store.antennasdirect.com/clears ... ennas.html
1 x
NRA Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Haven't tried the antenna you have, but I've tried several other HD indoor antennas and none of the one's I tried worked any better than the plain old VHF rabbits ears/UHF loop antenna that I have. Many of the antennas were worse. In this area anyway.
I use the FCC DTV Maps tool for finding broadcast station origin. https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Example map.
HD OTA.JPG
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Mags wrote:If anyone still has those old rabbit ear antennas. They are once again valuable for digital over the air TV.
That may be true, but a High Quality TV Antenna, like an Antenna Direct which has many optional choices is the best way to go and can make a big difference. I've tried some antenna's that were supposed to work wonders only to not work at all. I got my first Antenna Direct many years ago and it still works great. The company will also help you choose the right one and will also send you a diagram online showing a chart from your location.

Here is a link to it, but be sure to study on the UHF and VHF part. Don't get both if you only need one. The one I personally have is not listed anymore for some reason. Mine is UHF only and has a Reflector but should still be available.

https://store.antennasdirect.com/clears ... ennas.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x