Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck 110 AUTO

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Buck 110 AUTO

Post by Slugnut » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Has anyone had any experience/purchased one of these "new Bucks " ? If so, what is your impression of them and where's a good place to purchase one at a reasonable price ?
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Buck 110 AUTO

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:06 pm

I got a brass 110 auto when they first came out. I don't remember the online retailer, but it was around $130.00. If it's legal for you to have where you are, I would highly recommend one. I find it extremely handy. It came hair popping sharp.
You do need to carry it in the sheath that Buck supplies. It has an extra layer of leather so the button does not deploy on it's own. Mine never has, but I have retrieved a half deployed, razor sharp automatic knife from a pocket. Needless to say I was very careful.

It's a great knife and you can't go wrong in my opinion.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 am

DTD, thank you, very helpful info.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm a huge fan of Buck's 110 .... have one on my belt as this is being typed .... I'm very curious about the auto model but haven't gotten up the nerve to purchase one .... much the same as with a silencer .... they've both been major no-no's for most of my life .... I have no clue what's legal and where its legal ... :?
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 pm

JEBar wrote:I'm a huge fan of Buck's 110 .... have one on my belt as this is being typed .... I'm very curious about the auto model but haven't gotten up the nerve to purchase one .... much the same as with a silencer .... they've both been major no-no's for most of my life .... I have no clue what's legal and where its legal ... :?
Varies by jurisdiction, just like most anything else that can be considered a weapon. Perfectly fine in MS, except for courtrooms and such. I've been wearing the same buck 110 for must be 40 years now. I did make a wooden belt holder for "dress up" a few years back. Apologies for the poor quality pic.

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:21 am

First, Love the case Gunny... Can't put a finger on it, but "something" stands out about that case. :D

Back when I was working patrol operations, switchblades (autos) were legal to own, but not legal to carry in VA unless you were Law Enforcement or your job justified their carry. (Fire/EMS/Military) Of course most of the Officers had at least one. I had (and still have) several in my collection, but found that with practice, my Benchmade Duty Knife was not only faster than an auto, it was much better suited to the job, sharper, and wouldn't accidentally open. :) I carried it throughout my patrol days, and still carry it more than any other knife to this day.
Daily Carry Duty Knife.jpg
One of our Senior Officers just had to carry an auto because he could. He had several, but his fav was an Italian mother of pearl beauty with a five or six inch blade. I had warned him (as a department weapons trainer) that he should retire that as a duty knife since the button controlling the blade was notoriously sensitive and he had a bad habit of forgetting to set the sliding safety. This Officer also had two very nice vehicles. A 3000GT and a new Ford Truck with full leather. He came in one morning before briefing and slammed his briefcase on the desk in his private office. I asked what happened, and he said the blade had opened in his pocket, and cut thru his pants and a 3" slice into the leather seat in his New truck. :evil: I let him suffer for a bit, then gave him the number for my wife's saddle maker, who made a repair you could barely see. As the seat aged a bit, and got those small wear creases, it disappeared completely.

The Officer retired all his autos and went back to a Benchmade folder. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 pm

JEBar wrote:I'm a huge fan of Buck's 110 .... have one on my belt as this is being typed .... I'm very curious about the auto model but haven't gotten up the nerve to purchase one .... much the same as with a silencer .... they've both been major no-no's for most of my life .... I have no clue what's legal and where its legal ... :?

https://www.akti.org/state-laws-regarding-automatics/

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/north-carolina/

Legal to own in NC but some concerns about the legality of carrying it concealed.

At least here in WA they have made assisted opening knives legal, autos are still illegal except for leo's, firefighters, military, etc. If I ever make it down to the Benchmade factory store I would be awfully tempted to get one of their OTF autos, I'm 66 and have never been searched and have no plans to ever do anything that would lead to me being searched.

Speaking of Benchmade's, I got a Email today announcing this new knife, beautiful knife and I would love to have one but $750 is a little out of my price range for a knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovOEMjXgt48

https://www.benchmade.com/535-191.html
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 pm

thanks for the link related to NC's concealed carry .... I can't help but wonder if a knife like a Buck 110 worn in its factory closed sheath on a belt is considered concealed
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 am

It does seem like a pretty confusing law but they recommend not carrying one concealed, if it ever came up with a leo it sounds like it would be up to the interpretation of the prosecuting attorney and a judge if having it in a sheath was carrying it concealed.

It does say "It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that:

(1) The weapon was not a firearm;

(2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the way to or from, an activity in which he legitimately used the weapon;

(3) The defendant possessed the weapon for that legitimate use; and

(4) The defendant did not use or attempt to use the weapon for an illegal purpose. The burden of providing this defense is on the defendant."

so it might depend on how good a lawyer you have.

Another site I was looking at said NC law was pretty vague about whether an assisted opening knife was considered a auto/switchblade. At least WA's newest knife law specifically says assisted openers are legal, if you have to physically move the blade itself to start the opening process rather than just pushing a button it is not an automatic knife.

With my Benchmade and other assisted knives I've looked at you only have to barely move the blade before the spring takes over so I really don't see the need for an automatic folding knife.

What I would like to have is an auto OTF (out the front), the only assisted OTF's I've seen are really more novelty knives rather than well made working knives.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Back when I was working in Patrol Operations and later in another enforcement position and was in court a couple times per month, I saw that our Judges were far from Liberal. They enforced the law. However, they were fair about the enforcement and didn't allow much in the way of liberties. They had decided that Concealed, meant "Concealed from View."

Commonwealth's Attorney:
"So, Officer, How did you discover the Concealed Weapon in the possession of the defendant?"

Officer:
"During the Traffic Stop as I was interviewing the Subject at the window of the vehicle, I noted a folded newspaper on the passenger seat. Protruding from the folded newspaper I observed the butt of what I identified as a Colt Semiautomatic firearm containing a magazine..."

Judge:
"Wait, you say you SAW the Butt of the pistol protruding from the folded Newspaper?"

Officer:
"Yes Your Honor."

Judge:
"You didn't find the firearm during a search of the vehicle or the subject?"

Officer:
"No Your Honor."

Judge:
"Mr. Commonwealth, are there any other charges pending against this defendant?"

Commonwealth's Attorney:
"No Your Honor."

Judge:
"In light of the Officer's sworn testimony, he SAW the weapon on the seat of the vehicle, therefore it was NOT concealed. Partially concealed does not meet the guidelines. Case Dismissed. The defendant is free to leave. Bailiff, see that his property is returned to him by the end of the day unless there is some other reason that it should not be."

I have also seen Judges dismissed Concealed Weapons charges involving Knives when the Officers testified to seeing the pocket clip of the knife outside the pocket or on the waist band of the pants, or when the defendant had a permit to carry a concealed handgun and the Commonwealth's Attorney tried to argue that the permit did NOT allow for carry of a folding knife in the pocket.

"Mr. Commonwealth's Attorney, are you honestly going to tell me that we will allow this defendant to carry a 44 magnum in our jurisdiction but you will deny him the carry of a three inch lockblade? Have you ever heard of the "Intent of the law?" Case dismissed."

Sometimes the process worked.

I don't know about today with all the liberal judges ....
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.