Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck 119 S30V

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Buck 119 S30V

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 pm

per Buck on their S30V steel blades : "However, it is difficult to resharpen yourself, but we do offer sharpening service for a nominal fee"

to make it clear, when the 119 arrived, it was shaving sharp but I didn't like the grind marks left from it being sharpened at the factory (picture 1) .... so, even though it didn't need to be sharpened to enhance performance, I decided to do so to enhance appearance .... the last 4 pictures show the results .... using the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone discussed at this link ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... one#p47336 <=== it took less than 15 minutes to correct the appearance and bring it to a smooth shaving sharpness .... based on this experience, I'm most relieved to no longer have any concerns related to being able to keep it sharp .... my question has moved on from that point to wondering how long it will hold the edge before needing to be resharpened
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Wow! Great before/after photos, Jim....doesn't even look like the same blade!
Again, cool 8-) that sharpening issues are all handled.
A good point to the new 119 saga. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 pm

my opinion, they shoudn't have shipped a fine knife with grind marks like that. perhaps a $ ploy to get customers to use their sharpening service "for a nominal fee".

I second PT on that WOW sharping you did. Maybe you could go into a "nominal fee" business with that workmanship!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 pm

kind words appreciated and THE SAGA CONTINUES .. :lol: .. the main reason I stopped carrying a fixed blade hunting knife was it usually managed to get in the way when in a vehicle, deer stand or at other times as well .... its always possible that I may use the 119 as a hunting knife, I still believe its major use will be in food prep .... while I don't know if I will carry it in a sheath at home, I can see doing so while cooking when we are camping .... accordingly, I find this Custom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 to be very interesting ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5 ... UTF8&psc=1 .... it has high ratings for quality of materials and construction .... I;m happy to say my Christmas Shopping for our two sons has been taken care of .. 8-) .. with the price for the 119 that is the subject of this thread, I've ordered one for each of our sons .... will most probably order them one of these sheaths as well, they will almost certainly use theirs for hunting
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Mags wrote:my opinion, they shoudn't have shipped a fine knife with grind marks like that. perhaps a $ ploy to get customers to use their sharpening service "for a nominal fee".

I second PT on that WOW sharping you did. Maybe you could go into a "nominal fee" business with that workmanship!

must admit I am still a bit perplexed by it .... its the only Buck I've ever seen come that way .... must admit I'm looking forward to looking at our son's knives when they come .... ordering the same knife from Buck's custom shop it would have cost about $50 more .... I don't think that would make a difference but who knows
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I'd like to catch you in time, hopefully on your order for kids.

I checked back to the cost of your 119; it was $124.99 and free ship, correct?
Copper & Clad carries the same knife for $114.99 and free ship.
Check this out to see if it is the identical SKU:
http://copperandclad.com/buck-knives-11 ... -119rdssh/
PT7

JEBar wrote:kind words appreciated and THE SAGA CONTINUES .. :lol: .. the main reason I stopped carrying a fixed blade hunting knife was it usually managed to get in the way when in a vehicle, deer stand or at other times as well .... its always possible that I may use the 119 as a hunting knife, I still believe its major use will be in food prep .... while I don't know if I will carry it in a sheath at home, I can see doing so while cooking when we are camping .... accordingly, I find this Custom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 to be very interesting ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5 ... UTF8&psc=1 .... it has high ratings for quality of materials and construction .... I;m happy to say my Christmas Shopping for our two sons has been taken care of .. 8-) .. with the price for the 119 that is the subject of this thread, I've ordered one for each of our sons .... will most probably order them one of these sheaths as well, they will almost certainly use theirs for hunting
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 pm

effort appreciated but I already have them on order .... I'd never heard of the company in your link .... looks like they carry an impressive line ....
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Sorry I didn't get the info on C&C to you sooner. I think I first learned of this shop through Blade Forums. There is a group of Buck owners there that have mentioned it at times. I agree with you that C&C carries a very nice line of Bucks. I usually check there if I'm looking for a specific knife; sometimes the prices are a little better.

BTW, those 119s you've ordered will be impressive gifts for the sons! Special stuff.
PT7

JEBar wrote:effort appreciated but I already have them on order .... I'd never heard of the company in your link .... looks like they carry an impressive line ....
1 x

~Пока~

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Nice knife. Years ago I worked for a welding supply company. One of my clients was Buck Knives. That was back when they were still in El Cajon CA. A few miles from my home.
I enjoyed seeing how the knives were made and meeting the people that make them. Great Company BTW. The owners of Buck are good people and when they moved they offered to pay the moving expenses for any employees that wanted to follow them to Idaho. I have had many Bucks over the years as Im sure many of you have. One of the best memories of being in the old Buck plant was seeing the bin full of knives that were old and worn out from customers. Knowing that they had sent a new one out to replace each and every one of them under warranty.
2 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 am

I have the same 119 with the red handle but in the regular steel, 75th anniversary. Mine has a special marking on the blade also, 007. Copper and Clad is an excellent place to do knife business with. He is a great person to deal with. If I see something I want, I request the specific serial number I collect. He'll find out if it's still in stock and send it. By the way, 007 is not the number I request. 007 is the second red handled 119. It rides in the center console of the truck, ready to work if called upon. The other resides in the collection in the man cave. C&C is a great place to buy a Buck knife.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member