Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck 119 S30V

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Buck 119 S30V

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 pm

JEBar wrote:I find this Custom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 to be very interesting ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5 ... UTF8&psc=1 .... it has high ratings for quality of materials and construction .... I;m happy to say my Christmas Shopping for our two sons has been taken care of .. 8-) ..

UPDATE ---- I ordered 3 of the brown, Custom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 made by Carl Thomas shown in the link above .... it is made out of 10 ounce buffalo leather .... as advertised, it is well made and looks great .... to put it mildly, I am pleased with them .... I can see it coming in very handy with its cross draw design .... the black sheath shown below is the one that came from Buck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Sharp sheath! Kind of makes the Black Buck look plain Jane.
Do you belt-carry the knife horizontal, vertical, or both?
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 pm

PT7 wrote:Sharp sheath! Kind of makes the Black Buck look plain Jane.
Do you belt-carry the knife horizontal, vertical, or both?
as you know, the OEM (black) Buck sheath is designed to position the knife blade in a vertical position so that the blade hangs down from the belt .... the cross draw sheath attaches to a belt so that the knife is held somewhat parallel to the belt .... the cross draw is usually more comfortable when seated in a vehicle, deer stand, or even on horseback .... to date I haven't had a need to wear the 119 on my belt .... I'm looking forward to the time when I may have a need to do so
0 x

Makael
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Makael » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:14 pm

I did pick up a Barrel nut 119 with 440 steel at the factory store the other day. Nice looking knives.
ImageImageImage
4 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 pm

very nice indeed .... a blade that I'd most certainly be proud to add to our collection
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm

UPDATE :

we've owned and used the Buck 119 with S30V steel for shown in post 1 in this thread for just under 6 months .... it was still pretty dang sharp but could use a touch-up .... as anticipated, after a bit of work on the Fine Diamond stone in our Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone (discussed with pictures in the last two post on page 3 of this thread http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... e&start=20 ) the edge is once again razor sharp .... making no bones about it, its S30V steel is exceptionally hard .... I don't believe that regular sharpening stones (no matter how course) would work with it .... still very pleased with our 119, its truly a fine blade
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Glad to read your follow up report on the S30V being as hard as Buck promotes it to be. I had wondered about that when I purchased the Custom Shop 112 with the S30V steel as a memory knife for my wife. The only difference for me is that I'll not work that 112 at all because of why I built it.

But my Special Edition 119 with the Buck's standard 420HC blade material has worked quite well. I do basic food prep in the kitchen, and it still is smoothly slicing away as it did when I first used it 10 months ago. I'm also certain my regular usage is much less than yours, Jim.

Bottom line, agree with you that Buck sure does create excellent knives!
PT7
JEBar wrote: .... still very pleased with our 119, its truly a fine blade
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:17 am

agree indeed .... it really isn't designed to be a kitchen knife .... because I like it I find myself using it when it really isn't the right blade for the task at hand .... so far it has gotten the jobs done
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 am

Understood completely about a 119 not being a culinary knife. When I reach for it to prep some semi-frozen meat, e.g. fat removal, the 119 almost looks out-of-place on the countertop!

Like you, it has gotten some "odd jobs" done for me. Last summer I traded my larger bed to my daughter, who was just setting up her second B&B. So I now have the next smaller-sized bed from her, but the very heavy, dense foam 3" topper I use was too large for it. I first took out a pair of scissors for the job, but its blades were neither wide enough nor sharp enough to evenly cut through the foam. What to do? Then I thought of the 119 because of how solid it feels in my hand when I grip it, plus the longer blade is so very sharp. Yup, I chose it because I like it, just as you said. So gave it a try. Within a few minutes, that blade had trimmed down that topper to size, cutting through it "like a hot knife through butter." Perfect knife for the job.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:25 am

Nothing a good Buck 119 fixed blade. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.