Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Compadre Series

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

The Compadre Series

Post by daytime dave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 pm

I was thrilled early last year. It was when I saw the new, Buck Compadre series. I knew I had to have all of them. I planned to use them.

In early June 2015, I started to see them in inventory at plenty of places. I ordered all three from a favorite vendor.

I took them to camp last summer. They worked great.

New to Buck is the froe. It can be used as a short machete, but shines as a splitting tool when batoned. It is the star of the trio. It even eclipses the return of the 106 hatchet. A great feat in itself.

Here are some pictures and thoughts of the new set.

Here is the star, in my opinion. It is a great woods tool.

The 106 (hatchet) and the froe have D rings to attach to things. It makes them floppy if you carry them on the belt. I carried the knife everyday. The leather belt loop is secured with a large rivet at each end. These rivets allowed the leather loop to move. This makes the knife floppy too. At first, I didn't like it. I got used to it and easily pushed the knife out of the way if it got in the way when I sat. I'll carry it. I found it to be handy and a good size for my needs.

The handles looked a bit dry when the arrived, all three of them. I applied one coat of boiled linseed oil and "baked" them in a 175 degree oven for 30 minutes. I put them back on and later rubbed them down. They look much better now. None of them needed sharpening. They were all well sharpened. I did run each of them on a ceramic rod, to put that hair popping razor edge on.

I split all the wood in the pictures by batoning the froe and 106. I only did a few pieces with the 106. The froe did an amazing job. I'm so glad they are users and not just lookers.
3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: The Compadre Series

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am

You sure have a lot of sharp things.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater