Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Memory gift to myself --- Engraved Buck 112

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Memory gift to myself --- Engraved Buck 112

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Hey, Everyone!

In August, I wrote my HIHIGL story. It shared that my lovely bride and wife of nearly 34 years, Joyce, passed away in early July this year, and what our marriage, love, and friendship meant to us. I have been thinking of some "memory gift" to myself, which I'd like to have to remember the anniversary we missed on August 13th. Here is what I finally came up with. It's not fully "done" yet, but you'll get a pretty good idea of the end result.

From the Buck Custom Knife shop I built a one-of-a-kind engraved 112 folder. Not to be used, but displayed in memory of our years together. Here are the particulars of my design:

~~~Cherrywood handles with no rivets....just smooth color and grain patterns.
~~~The bolsters are my favorite metal color on a knife -- silver (nickel).
~~~I got a higher quality blade composition on this knife -- S30V steel. Buck markets this steel in this way: "We consider this the absolute best blade steel available, and it is made in America."
~~~The knife came with a quality Buck 112 black leather sheath. I'll not use it, but plan to display the 112 folder on a wooden wall hanger I'm putting together -- just like many of us Henry Folk display our Henry rifles. Some pics of what I'm working on will follow.
~~~I engraved both the S30V blade and the bolsters. On the blade, top engraving has two sets of initials. These were "nicknames" Joyce and I had for each other. Below these are HIHIGL, which was our marriage motto -- "Hand In Hand in God's Love." The bolsters show the years of our marriage by our wedding year (1983) and the year of Joyce's passing (2017).

That's the penned "story" of my memory gift. The following pictures tell the "story" much better. I'm getting close to finishing the wall hanger. It is not skilled woodworking by any means. Just went to my LCS (local craft store) to cobble this together.

Thanks for checking out my new custom Buck 112 with the planned wall hanger. Enjoy!

Take good care...PT7
Buck 112 custom-built anniversary knife_1.JPG
Buck 112 custom_2.JPG
Buck 112 custom_3.JPG
Buck 112 custom_4.JPG
Buck 112 custom_5.JPG
Buck 112 custom_6.JPG
This is where I'm at on putting the wall hanger together. The oval-shaped wood has a nice "angled" look with the 6 slats neither perfectly vertical or horizontal. They are attached at each end to a 1-inch deep wood oval. The "oval" was put together by 4 equally cut sections of wood. It came with a rope to hang it up; I'm thinking of finding a really nice lanyard to use instead of the rope.

The two "J's" (letter happens to match my wife's first-name initial!) are the actual hangers. I painted them flat black. On the left J you can see the back of the letter unpainted, which I'll attach to the oval base. Got the wood screws, and will only need to do the measuring for the holes so I can set them to hold the 7" OAL of the Buck 112 centered. I'll attached the screws from the back of the wall hanging so nothing shows from the front.

Buck 112 custom hanger_1.JPG
Not measured out yet, but put all the pieces together to show you what I'm hoping the final display will look like.
After it's done, I'll just have to figure out a special place to hang it! I'm sure my daughters will look at my choice, and have their choices of location, too.
;)
Buck 112 custom hanger_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Memory gift to myself --- Engraved Buck 112

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:07 pm

I wasn't aware Buck would build such a knife .... very impressive, it will be passed on down the line for many generations to come
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Until I spent some time reading stuff on the official Buck web site, I didn't know you could build your own knife either. Here is the link to that info. https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/ The 112 is not the only Buck that can be customized. You might try "building" your own knife, whatever model you choose, just for fun.
JEBar wrote:I wasn't aware Buck would build such a knife .... very impressive, it will be passed on down the line for many generations to come
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 am

Bucks custom work is really something. Over the years they have put out many an impressive knife. It has come back a bit lately. It's offerings were a bit thin in the last decade.

That is a beautiful knife to memorialize your wife. Thank you for sharing it with us.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Very nice. You made some great choices and it will be a keeper.

I have built a couple knives from Woodcraft kits. My daughter in OK carries one of them daily around her farm... it's her working knife. I actually have one started now, a fixed blade tanto that will have spalted maple scales.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.