Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which Steel ?

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Which Steel ?

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:24 pm

new 110 arrived a few minutes ago .... not bad, ordered Friday afternoon, delivered Sunday morning .... in the pictures below, its pretty easy to tell the new from the old .... any apparent difference is size is some sort of optical illusion .... the blade of the old one is slightly smaller from having been sharpened .... about the only difference I can tell in the sheaths is the stamp .... in all other regards the appear identical .... the knife is clearly stamped made in the USA, a tag on the sheath indicates it was made in Mexico .... the new one will be up to use for the first time tonight, it will be used to get some SD steaks ready for the grill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Very nice shots of the old and new 110s. At least you can see what the new will look like after its service!

I didn't have steaks today, but did have a very tasty rump roast cooked overnight in a crock pot. When I prepped the meat yesterday, there was a wide strip of fat on one side I decided to take off. The kitchen knife I generally use didn't cut it very well. I probably should start using my 110 for some kitchen duty, but didn't last evening. Rather, just for fun, I brought out my smaller, not-yet-used Tops/Buck CSAR-T 3" stainless fixed-blade (680 model). That roast almost hopped into the crock pot on its own after being stripped of that fat layer! :lol: A new knife with a sharp blade sure is a pleasure to use. Probably before too long the 110 will join the KP crew for some service.

Thanks for the report/photos. Enjoy your new 110.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:25 pm

years ago my 110 was the only knife I carried and was used as a general purpose knife .... later we got into a catering business (BBQ'ing whole hogs) the 110 became a critical part of our prepping, carving, and deboning .... every since, it has been dedicated pretty much to use with cooking .... so far, I can't tell any difference in performance .... in short, it has performed well
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 pm

JEBar wrote:agree with your assessment of the 420HC used by Buck .... I am looking forward to giving their 5160 BOS Carbon Steel blades a try .... ours is supposed to arrive today so I should know something soon
I've been using the new Buck with 5160 BOS Carbon Steel for a couple of weeks .... reviewing the info provided by PT7 given below :

PT7 wrote:420HC Steel
This is Buck's standard blade material because it approaches the wear resistance of high carbon alloys while delivering the corrosion resistance of chromium stainless steels. Add our exclusive heat-treat process and you have a very user-friendly combination of superior corrosion resistance with excellent strength for wear resistance and durability. You also have a blade that is easy to resharpen. For best performance we harden to a Rockwell hardness of Rc 58.

5160 Steel
Commonly known as spring steel, 5160 has excellent shock absorbing properties making it resilient to shattering and extremely durable as a knife steel. We harden to 57-58 Rc to maximize its performance.

I have noticed a few things :

1... I can't tell any difference in sharpness, edge retention, or sharpening

2... I can't tell any difference in performance

3... the only difference I can tell is the 5160 tarnishes quickly where the 420 retains its new shiny finish

bottom line :

based on owning 2 420's and now having a 5160, if I ever order anther, I'll go back with the 420
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Interesting eval results...thanks for posting your experience so far.

I tend to try to stay simple, and go after knives (and firearms, too) that are designed and perform requiring low maintenance. I'm not really all that lazy; just like "to stay out of trouble" with my stuff! :lol:
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I like the new knife. It's funny you haven't noticed the 5160 to sharpen easier. My 112 (#4) touches up beautifully compared to it's 420 counterparts. They aren't far behind. Personal experience and preference I'm sure.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 pm

PT7 wrote:420HC Steel
This is Buck's standard blade material because it approaches the wear resistance of high carbon alloys while delivering the corrosion resistance of chromium stainless steels. Add our exclusive heat-treat process and you have a very user-friendly combination of superior corrosion resistance with excellent strength for wear resistance and durability. You also have a blade that is easy to resharpen. For best performance we harden to a Rockwell hardness of Rc 58.

5160 Steel
Commonly known as spring steel, 5160 has excellent shock absorbing properties making it resilient to shattering and extremely durable as a knife steel. We harden to 57-58 Rc to maximize its performance.

UPDATE

I've now been using the Buck with the blade made from 5160 for just over 3 months .... while I like a good looking knife, my carry knives aren't for looks, they are work knives .... in the pictures below the tarnished 5160 blade in larger 110 Folding Hunter can be seen next to the 420 steel blade in the smaller Buck that I've carried for several years .... they both perform well but the 420 most certainly retains a better look .... I do plan to keep and use the 110 but I have no interest in buying another Buck with a 5160 steel blade
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:44 am

I lived in El Cajon Ca where Buck knife were made at one time . I owned 175 Bucks I got at a employee Discount [ Super knifes ] I sold 95% of them to a knife dealer 8 years ago in Tn . I made the knife below out of a Nickelson file [ best steel ] and reheat treated the backbone so if you drop it on a hard surface it wouldn't break . .. You can not dull the edge on that knife . It almost impossible to sharpen it too . .

2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:14 am

Great knife tgr. You could use that as your slogan. Can't dull it and near impossible to sharpen.

JEBar, I'm still liking my 5160 blades. I haven't noticed mine to dull like yours have. Maybe I'm not giving them much use?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 am

daytime dave wrote:JEBar, I'm still liking my 5160 blades. I haven't noticed mine to dull like yours have. Maybe I'm not giving them much use?
just to be clear, the 5160 blade performs fine .... I can't tell any difference in sharpening or it holding its edge .... the only real difference is the looks of the 420
0 x