Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BUCK 110 w/laser cut anvil in blade

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

BUCK 110 w/laser cut anvil in blade

Post by Steve51 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:06 pm

At the end of February, my wife and I took a short trip to the Kentucky Dam area. I always have to check out the gun shops in Indiana and the knife and guns shops in the towns around Kentucky dam. When I saw this Buck 110 at the Shepherd of the Hills store in Eddyville, my will power to resist temptation lasted 24 hours. The next day temptation got the best of me and it came home with me. It is from a first production run of 100 knives. It has 039 engraved on the opposite side of the blade but I could not get a good picture of the number. Tha handle material is called "Burgundy Paperstone"

Needless to say, this will not be a field use knife.

BUCK 110 w/laser cut anvil in the blade

2 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: BUCK 110 w/laser cut anvil in blade

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Very cool 110...easy to see why this will not see field use!

I've seen a number of laser-cut Bucks with various animal heads, but this anvil cut looks really sharp. And Burgundy Paperstone is new to me. Sure like the all-around looks of your new knife, and great that it came home with you. Enjoy.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:22 pm

just curious .... any info on the significance of the anvil
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 pm

I am not sure if there is any significance to the anvil. I think Buck started putting that symbol on the blades of the Buck 110's to celebrate 50 years of producing them.
I have seen blacksmiths forge knife blades from railroad spikes by beating a red hot spike flat on an anvil. Some other forum member may have better information than I.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:17 pm

Great question on the anvil....

I don't have that many Buck knives, and the anvil is on some, others not. What I've seen on the Buck web site is a page that shows "Buck's Date Code Chart." https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/ That chart info begins under the question, "How old is my Buck?" But I've not been able to totally figure out my knives against this info. One example is my fixed-blade Buck 017 Thorn. It has an anvil on the blade, with BUCK stamped over it and USA stamped below it. Interestingly, the anvil also had a light-colored "B" in it. I don't see that example anywhere on the chart. So I'm not certain at all how old (or young) my Thorn is. Thanks for posing the question....hope some answers come about.
1 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Beautiful knife!

Cate
PS: I have 2 BUCK kitchen paring knives and my handles are made out of paperstone. One handle color is slate and the other handle color is close to a deep to medium forest green. I can't think of the name of the green that Buck calls it now. Sorry. I wanted to see the colors in person but no one had them in stock in my area of Western Montana. I ordered mine over the telephone from the Buck Knife Company in Idaho. Your handle color is quite popular from what I have read online.

Typos and added more.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 am

Steve51 & JEBar,

Your Q and comments about the Buck anvil piqued my interest. So I borrowed one of the photos you posted of your new 110 knife, and sent it along with my inquiry to the Buck sub-forum on BladeForums. The folk there are very knowledgeable and helpful, too. Got these two responses back on my inquiry. BTW, I also checked at C&C, and yes, the knife you own is an exclusive offered through them.
P.S. Again, I really like the cool-looking Buck you just got, Steve51....the cut-out makes it look very sharp!

My Q to Blade Forums about the anvil
One of the fellows on a rifle forum I am on just purchased a new-to-him Buck 110, and shared some photos.
Then another fellow asked this Q: "Just curious .... any info on the significance of the anvil?"
The owner did not have an answer, and I don't know either why or for what purpose(s) Buck uses the anvil.
So thought I'd ask here for your help...thanks!

Answer 1
That model looks like the current "factory exclusive" being sold by Copper & Clad. The cutout is just a reference to Buck as the anvil is part of their logo.

Answer 2
I believe it to be(of significance) because Hoyt Buck, founder was a blacksmith.
JEBar wrote:just curious .... any info on the significance of the anvil
Steve51 wrote:I am not sure if there is any significance to the anvil. I think Buck started putting that symbol on the blades of the Buck 110's to celebrate 50 years of producing them.
I have seen blacksmiths forge knife blades from railroad spikes by beating a red hot spike flat on an anvil. Some other forum member may have better information than I.
1 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Beautiful knife you have there.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member