Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Buck Looker

PT7
Drover
United States of America

A Buck Looker

Post by PT7 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:25 am

Did get to the wally-world sporting dept yesterday, and found a 620 Reaper in stock. Actually, Dave's pictures of his acquisition looked almost better than the real thing! The black fixed-blade looked really sharp, but for me the wood color was a mild disappointment. So I shopped the case further and another Buck caught my eye.

As I've been viewing folders on the Blade Forums, I've seen various "jig bone" knife handles. But I haven't handled one yet. The Buck that went into my cart is a 389 Canoe folder with a brown jig bone handle. After I got my Henry-Case folder with the antique logs handle, I keep on looking for eye-catching (to me) handles. This one really fit the bill.

A couple of things about this knife: one is a plus, the other is not. The negative is that I wish it were USA-Made; this knife was built in China. Not having USA on the blade for me is simply a sad commentary. I wish the company didn't outsource their knives, but I'm not in charge. The good part is that this is a very solid and well-built knife. Buck's QC has to be responsible and is on top of it! And the jig bone handle fit-to-metal is right on. Best of all is the cool-looking handle design...I like it a lot. I know this folder will spend a good amount of front-pocket time with me. ;)

Here are some photos [as usual, click the pic for the big view].
My small blade collection is slowly growing in numbers!
DSCN1581.JPG
DSCN1585.JPG
DSCN1582.JPG
DSCN1586.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: A Buck Looker

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:50 am

I like it! Real purty knife.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 am

Looks good, didn't know any Bucks were made in China, but hey, what ain't, beside Henry !!
1 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:51 am

That is a nice looking knife. A good choice.

Buck has good qc people in China for sure. All the China made Bucks have been well made. I understand Buck has possibly as much as 30% of it's knives made in China.

I did pick up a few China made Bucks a few years ago. They were good quality. I prefer to buy the USA made knives.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:08 am

I still have a lot to learn about knives, Dave. Today I'm a bit more discouraged about the Canoe 389 I just bought, after learning more about the blade steel used in this knife. I came across this BladeForums thread yesterday, "Buck's 420J2?" http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st16635938 , and the discussion focused on the poor quality steel that comes with this knife. Like I wrote in my comment to the BF thread, this Canoe will be "a good reminder to be watchful and more careful in my future Buck acquisitions," or purchase of any knife for that matter.

Another interesting thing I found out. To learn more about the 389, I looked for it on 3-4 knife internet sites. Could not locate this model on any of them. Could it be that these companies do not want to sell knives with 420J2 blade steel?

Interesting stat you posted. But I think it might be a good thing if Buck brought that 30% back to the good 'ole USA!!
Ah well, live & learn. I still like the knife world. Just have to be careful about getting cut!

BTW, I agree with the part of your quote below that I bolded. That's the best way to acquire Bucks.
Have a great day.
daytime dave wrote:That is a nice looking knife. A good choice.

Buck has good qc people in China for sure. All the China made Bucks have been well made. I understand Buck has possibly as much as 30% of it's knives made in China.

I did pick up a few China made Bucks a few years ago. They were good quality. I prefer to buy the USA made knives.
0 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:30 pm

You have a nice looking BUCK knife.

Enjoy using it.

Cate
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:33 am

That could be a WalMart exclusive material. Remember, WalMart sells LOTs of everything.

To compete and make the intended price point, made in China has to be for Buck for now. I think they try to lessen the percentage every year, but that genie may never get back into the bottle.

I don't think that canoe will give you any trouble, regardless of the steel and what they say about it.

I purchased a Camillus made Buck 307 on Ebay. The main blade was curved and I was bummed. What the heck, I bent it straight with my fingers. Lol, it still cuts what I cut with it nicely. Enjoy the canoe and use it as another fun lesson. There will be plenty more lessons.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:57 am

PT, I wouldn't let the steel quality issue get under my skin.
There are product purity snobs on every subject. Knives, Guns, Wine, Cars etc. "If it's not grade ______ it is garbage and you wasted your money".
As you said above it will spend a lot of time in your front pocket.
Enjoy it every time you use it and it gets the job done.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:41 am

Appreciate your comments on the Canoe, especially "Enjoy the canoe and use it as another fun lesson. There will be plenty more lessons."
Yes, I will use the Canoe. It is a good-looker, and solid in the hand. Ah, the "plenty more lessons" sounds interesting, too. I look forward to it.

BTW, I have a new Buck being shipped to me and should be here this week. It took a while, but I found the fixed-blade Buck I've been looking for. Found mostly good things on it through my general research, as well as helpful comments on BF. I'm looking forward to getting it. Will take some photos and post on the Forum...

daytime dave wrote:That could be a WalMart exclusive material. Remember, WalMart sells LOTs of everything.

To compete and make the intended price point, made in China has to be for Buck for now. I think they try to lessen the percentage every year, but that genie may never get back into the bottle.

I don't think that canoe will give you any trouble, regardless of the steel and what they say about it.

I purchased a Camillus made Buck 307 on Ebay. The main blade was curved and I was bummed. What the heck, I bent it straight with my fingers. Lol, it still cuts what I cut with it nicely. Enjoy the canoe and use it as another fun lesson. There will be plenty more lessons.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks, RSb.

I liked your perspective on the quality issue. I'm a member of a s/g forum, and I remember the comments I got when I bought my first SxS 20-gauge coach shotgun. It was not a high-priced s/g; basically an entry-level, which is all I wanted. It was quite well-built, and shot great for me. But when I introduced it on that forum, I thought someone would send the "shotgun police" after me and settle me really good & solid behind bars! I never heard the like. Your expression was "product purity snobs." Some of those folk sure didn't like that brand of coach gun I bought.

Both Dave & you said to "enjoy the Canoe." I will....and thanks again!
RetiredSeabee wrote:PT, I wouldn't let the steel quality issue get under my skin.
There are product purity snobs on every subject. Knives, Guns, Wine, Cars etc. "If it's not grade ______ it is garbage and you wasted your money".
As you said above it will spend a lot of time in your front pocket.
Enjoy it every time you use it and it gets the job done.
0 x

~Пока~