Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck 110 Slim Hunter

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Buck 110 Slim Hunter

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:49 pm

Love of my life and I spent the week in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Spent time with my little brother and his wife. Tried to avoid the longest traffic jams for popular places. But we did manage to drop in to Smokey Mountain Knife works. Been there years ago and they have moved things around a bit. I had decided to bring home one souvenir on this trip. Usually it is a new ball cap but I have somewhere around 50 already. So I found this slim profile lock back thumb stud opening 110 Buck. It said take me home the second I asked the lady to let me look it over.
I have carried a Kershaw Leek for years and love it. Great little knife, very fast opening with one hand. This Buck is a bit larger and much slower to open with the thumb stud but with practice I should get a tad quicker but never will be as fast as the Kershaw. At $29.99 it was a heck of a good deal and American made to boot. So it goes well with my Henry.
On a side note I stopped in at Bud's Gunshop next door they had some good prices on some sweet rifles. But I only saw one Henry Big Boy behind the counter. And one H001 22 on the floor racks. They must be hard to keep in stock.
Here are a few pics of the new souvenir.
07ABA5B0-E493-44CE-B1C9-6F9E25293D51.jpeg
442865DB-149F-4E3B-BF00-F2F4CC6E18A1.jpeg
A3F837AF-3E3C-418C-8779-5F7CD66B0196.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Buck 110 Slim Hunter

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:52 pm

I really enjoy going to Smokey Mountain Knife Works .... I carry a 110 Folding Hunter on my belt and have done so since the '60's .... this is the first time I've heard of a Slim 110 and I'm looking forward to seeing one .... the same Buck is priced $10 higher on Amazon --- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3 ... 8JJ5O&th=1
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:31 pm

We made a couple trips to Gatlinburg for vacation years ago, and they have a SMKW there as well, or used to. We stopped in and they were very helpful. I bought a couple autos since I was still working patrol, but mainly because I could. LOL. I stuck with the benchmade I had been carrying for years, and still do...

Nice little Buck, I think I gave my 110 to my son when he went into the Coast Guard. Then I bought him a Graduation Present of one of those knives with the Marlin Spike for tying knots. You can never have too many knives.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:46 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:31 pm
We made a couple trips to Gatlinburg for vacation years ago, and they have a SMKW there as well, or used to.
It is the same place, it is on the highway that goes to Gatlinburg.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:48 am

Thanks RS, I wasn't sure. We also visited a huge knife store in Pigeon Forge, where I bought a tool I keep in the UTV that has a cutting blade on one side and a hooked blade on the back... it's like a machete, but not. I was trying to describe it to the one young clerk, as I had just read about it in American Handgunner back then, he was clueless. An old bearded salesman walked by and said, "That's the So and So and walked me back to the shelf and pointed it out." Great for cutting overhanging trail branches or trimming this or that.... twenty years old and still using it.

The thing:

the thing.jpg

We keep it in the UTV, and it looks like Miss T used it down around the pond where she keeps her geese. Yes, I see the sheath is covered in dog hair. :roll: Guess I'll take it out to the shop and clean and sharpen both the blade and the hook again, then clean the sheath up. It's stored under the seat and for some reason... the floor gets covered in dog hair. Not a clue why?

fiona loves to go zoom zoom comp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:29 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:52 pm
this is the first time I've heard of a Slim 110 and I'm looking forward to seeing one
well I finally got my hands on a one of these new Slim 110's and I really like it .... we keep a tool kit in each of our vehicles and tool I like to include is a work knife and this new 110 fits the bill .... I did purchase ours from Amazon, I'm sure they could be purchased for less elsewhere -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H38HX1F?re ... tails&th=1
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:12 pm

I carry mine most every day fits great in blue Jean pockets. When I wear pants that have a slightly smaller pocket I carry my Kershaw.
Interesting that I used your link to Amazon for this knife and the page had another knife in Henry Orange. A Buck 112 that is tempting me.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:24 am

Is this the one you were looking at?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0846LQT2Y?re ... tails&th=1

If you wanted to spend a little more here's one with a lot better steel, CPM S30V.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-112- ... ck--140109
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:55 am

I have a Buck folder that my parents bought me back when I started hunting, probably almost 50 years ago. The leather sheath is pretty banged up since I carry it in a pack, not on my belt. The snap isn't very cooperative but loosens up with some oil and working it a bit. I see pictures of that knife now called a 110, but I think this was their first folder back then, so I don't think it was called a 110 back then, just a folding hunter.
What I like about that knife is that the steel is not as hard as other knives. It is quick and easy to sharpen back to that razor edge, but it doesn't stay that way long with frequent use. I like that for a knife not used for every day carry.
My EDC has been a Spyderco for 40+ years. I have about a dozen Rookie models, and a few others that get rotated in and out. The Rookie is similar in size to that Kershaw Leek, which is for me, that Goldilocks size. Love that hole in the blade on the Spydercos, they're a knife I can take out of my pocket, open, use, fold back up, and put back into my pocket completely one-handed. Great when you're holding something and only have one hand available. Mine are all plain edge, and while I like that "spyder-edge" serrated design, the plain edge is easier for me to sharpen.
And I completely agree with the previously made statement that you can't have too many knives.
2 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:03 pm

BUCK'S DATE CODE CHART
https://www.buckknives.com/about/behind ... -my-knife/

They also made/make a model 112 that is virtually the same as the 110 other than being slightly smaller.
https://www.buckknives.com/product/rang ... =0112BRS-B
1 x