Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just got my first-ever Buck (NOT a deer!)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Just got my first-ever Buck (NOT a deer!)

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:10 am

The Blade

I just got my first-ever Buck knife! And before I write more, I just want to say I'm very pleased with what I hold in my hand. :D

Over the last few years when deer hunting, the knife I carried was very small, and not designed for hunting use. So I've wanted to get one that fits this usage. I found my Buck on the BladeHQ web site, and the model is a PakLite Large Skinner Knife (3.5" Orange).

[NOTE: These two pictures are not mine; I still struggle with taking quality up-close photos with my auto-Nikon. So decided to "borrow" two photos from Blade HQ to show this Buck off].
Buck_PakLite Skinner knife.jpg
Buck_PakLite Skinner knife sheath.jpg
Knife Specs

This is the area that I have mega learning yet to do. What an education there is in reading about the various evaluations of a knife's construction (especially the blade), and its usefulness. I found a write-up on the steel in my new knife blade, and see that Buck was noted as a good manufacturer of this 420HC steel:

"Generally considered the king of the 420 steels, 420HC is similar to 420 steel but with increased levels of carbon (HC stands for High Carbon) which makes the steel harder. Still considered a lower-mid range steel but the more competent manufacturers (e.g. Buck) can really bring out the best in this affordable steel using quality heat treatments. That results in better edge retention and resistance to corrosion. In fact, this is one of the most corrosion resistant steels out there, despite it’s low cost."

Here are some of the knife specs, which BladeHQ listed:

OAL: 8.00"
Blade Length: 3.50"
Blade Thickness: 0.19"
Blade Material: 420HC
Blade Style: Drop Point
Finish: Orange
Handle Length: 4.50"
Handle Thickness: 0.19"
Weight:4.13 oz.
Country of Origin: USA
Best Use: Hunting

Several of these specs fit just what I was looking for:

~~Larger knife with a "hefty" weight. Also this knife excellently fits into my hand and provides a solid grip.
~~I'm always pleased to buy a product "Made in the USA." That's why I have my Henry, too. :D
~~The "best use" category is also exactly what I wanted.

A fine finish to my Buck intro. ;)

And how about the finish of this Buck?!? I didn't know they used Henry Orange! :lol:
With that great-looking finish, I think it makes this Buck a really cool purchase!!

PT7, just to let you know, I moved your Buck into the Buck section. I'm glad you like it. daytimedave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Just got my first-ever Buck (NOT a deer!)

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 am

Cool looking knife, being Henry orange is a bonus.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 am

Congratulations, a great report on a great knife! Hope you enjoy carrying and using it on your hunting and outdoor adventures.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Looks pretty COOL !!
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Those are really nice for hunting. Enjoy it. Thanks for the great post.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:38 pm

I think I would want more of a handle to hold onto. Let me know how that part feels. Since there are no real grips I imagine it's pretty easy cleanup. Nowhere for any mess to get stuck.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:11 pm

nice, looking forward to your evaluation after putting it to work
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:52 pm

JCN,

I probably wasn't very clear when I started this thread and said what I thought were some of the good fits. This fit is what I'll try to describe more clearly --> "Larger knife with a "hefty" weight. Also this knife excellently fits into my hand and provides a solid grip.

So how to describe? I pick it up, and the weight feels substantial at 4.13 oz. Before I ordered it, I wondered about the lack of "real grips," too. But in hand, the handle also feels substantial --- doesn't slip, and very easy to keep a good grip on it. In the specs I listed, the Handle Thickness shows it at 0.19". "Feels" even bigger than that to me.

Definitely there is a difference from a knife with wood or leather grips on it. Although I haven't used this Buck yet, I think it will work okay. Showed it to my son-in-law today, who has field-dressed many deer over the years. He also said it felt fine to him, and was glad I got it to take when we deer hunt together in December. Well, I hope this is a simpler and little clearer explanation of that handle.
JCN wrote:I think I would want more of a handle to hold onto. Let me know how that part feels. Since there are no real grips I imagine it's pretty easy cleanup. Nowhere for any mess to get stuck.
0 x

~Пока~

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Very cool; I hope you are able to put it to good use soon.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:31 am

I have two BUCK Pak Lite skinner knives.

One is orange and one is black.

http://www.buckknives.com/product/pakli ... 0140FAM01/

My blade lengths are 2 7/8 inches long.

I use them around the house and yard. The orange one gets used the most since it was the first one that I got in that model. They did not have the black or stainless one in stock when I got my FIRST PAK LITE at SW here in town.

I don't hunt but I know a man at SW's who hunts with them and several other knives.

Cate
0 x