Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sheffield 12-IN-1

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Sheffield 12-IN-1

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 am

Cool way to look at the Victorinox, Markiver....helping to "get out of trouble." ;)
1 x

~Пока~

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 am
20190107_201546.jpgI have carried my Victorinox Multi on my side for MANY years. Feel in-complete without it. Has gotten me and others out trouble on a lot of occasions. I don't leave home without it. A lot of quality tools in a small package!
You're not just making up stories here. Every thing on that thing looks like it's been well used. 8-)
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 am

Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am
markiver54 wrote:
20190107_201546.jpgI have carried my Victorinox Multi on my side for MANY years. Feel in-complete without it. Has gotten me and others out trouble on a lot of occasions. I don't leave home without it. A lot of quality tools in a small package!
You're not just making up stories here. Every thing on that thing looks like it's been well used. 8-)
Best part is, Victorinox is as good as Henry when it comes to warranty. ( lifetime ). I've had the one you see for about 30 years or so. A while back, one of the side latches had come off. Sent it to them for warranty work. They fixed it, and sent it back along with a brand new one!! These things aint cheap either! Having the two now, they will easily outlast me! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 am

Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 am
I look at such multitools as being a jack of all trades and master of none. Pure novelty.
through the period after the word none, I was right there with you .... as to Pure novelty, can't say that .... one of the best tips I was given when I started working in the RV industry was to purchase a good multi-tool .... as I sit in our camper in South Dakota, I have a bunch of power and hand tools stored in our truck .... my Leatherman is on my belt .... I find that I use it every day .... the only time I go to our truck and dig out a standard tool is when I can't handle it with my Leatherman .... having it at hand has proven to be invaluable .... so in my mind, its a highly valued working tool, not a novelty
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:24 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 am
Old Syko wrote:
I look at such multitools as being a jack of all trades and master of none. Pure novelty.
through the period after the word none, I was right there with you .... as to Pure novelty, can't say that .... one of the best tips I was given when I started working in the RV industry was to purchase a good multi-tool .... as I sit in our camper in South Dakota, I have a bunch of power and hand tools stored in our truck .... my Leatherman is on my belt .... I find that I use it every day .... the only time I go to our truck and dig out a standard tool is when I can't handle it with my Leatherman .... having it at hand has proven to be invaluable .... so in my mind, its a highly valued working tool, not a novelty
Well put Jim! Took the words out of my mouth! The Leatherman and Victorinox are the best on the market. Very strong too!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:52 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:24 am
JEBar wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 am
Old Syko wrote:
Well put Jim! Took the words out of my mouth! The Leatherman and Victorinox are the best on the market. Very strong too!
Guys, I have probably at least 6 or 8 of these things that I've been given over the years all stored in a box in one of my gun safes that will likely still be new when my kids sort out my junk. All I can tell ya is if you like them, stick with them but for what I do they just serve no purpose. As I said before, I'm not trying to step on anyones toes but for me they're sort of like a Swiss army knife with 25 different things in it that aren't going to be my number one choice for anything. I carry an automatic (switchblade) pocket knife and a gun and sometimes 2 on me and nothing else, not even a wallet. There's always a bag or tool box nearby. My tool bag in the Jeep weighs about 110#. I have at least one ammo can full of tools on all of my equipment and a shop full of anything you could need when I'm home so I just don't carry such things.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am

Mark, my first SAK Climber multi-tool is pushing 36 years young now. I call it "Old Red."

You just reminded me about the Victorinox lifetime warranty. How could I forget that?!? :roll: Think I might see what they'll do for me on this trusted friend. I'm glad all the stainless tools are in reasonable shape --- I work on keeping it cleaned, opening/closing correctly, and applying some light oil periodically. But......the scissors need a metal "spring," toothpick is overly worn, the raised SAK emblem came off and is long lost, and the quality celidor bright-red handles have really faded. The inside tools compartment does show some age also.

Thanks for the helpful reminder. Think I will be checking with Victorinox on some repair service for this Climber.

PT7
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 am
Old Syko wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am
markiver54 wrote:
Best part is, Victorinox is as good as Henry when it comes to warranty. ( lifetime ). I've had the one you see for about 30 years or so. A while back, one of the side latches had come off. Sent it to them for warranty work. They fixed it, and sent it back along with a brand new one!! These things aint cheap either! Having the two now, they will easily outlast me! :D
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

You're quite welcome Bob!
I'm trying to find the phone # and contact info for you. I usually keep those things in a safe place,🤔
(Usually hidden from myself)...🙄
If I locate that info I WILL pass it on!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am

PT7 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 am
The video clearly tells the stats story.
after looking at some other videos, it appears that this tool can perform various task common to backpacking .... at 11 Ounces, 6 Inches overall it is small enough to be taken along .... just because it can't chop down a redwood doesn't mean it can't come in handy .... the light use hammer and axe blade are its two unique features .... the other blades (for lack of a better term) can be commonly found on many other multi tools .... the length of the shaft of the Phillips screw driver is better than most I've seen .... our youngest son and his son backpack and camp .... I may buy them one and ask them to test it
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:09 am

Sure can't beat the price!! Worth testing.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry