Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damascus knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Damascus knives

Post by JayZuv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 am

Looking for a bit of input here. I know next to nothing about knives, other than how to use them. I was at a gun show over the weekend, and a guy was there selling all sorts of knives, and a few of them he claimed were Damascus knives, which I have always thought were pretty cool. According to him, they are made by “a guy in Alaska”, and the box says 512 layers. What does this mean? Needless to say he sold me on it. It was rather inexpensive (60 dollars) which I thought was strange as I assume Damascus blades are pretty expensive. Did I get something cool? Or did I overspend on a cheap knife
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Damascus knives

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Watch the show, " Forged in Fire " if you can get it. It appears on HISTHD. You will likely find out anything you want to know.
From what I've seen, Damascus blades use many layers of metal. After forging and hammering they take on a patterned finish.
Harder to make and takes longer. Very nice looking though. I would bet you did good. Most knives have to undertake a lot of abuse to see if they stand up to it given proper forging. I'm no pro by any means. Just what I have learned from watching.
Check it out if you can! I know you'll find it interesting.
If it is Damascus...it will be a patterned finish. Best I can describe, something like CCH.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:30 pm

We need pictures!
0 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 pm

51041925-fragment-of-the-traditional-handmade-finnish-knife-blade-with-the-abstract-wave-pattern-of-damascus-.jpg
Just one example, every blade pattern is one of a kind. Shapes and styles vary as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm

I don't have a Damascus but would be proud to own one!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:44 pm

I'll have some photos up soon, currently out of town. The blade definitely has the patterned finish similar to that in the photo, but it has no makers mark that I can see, and isn't all that heavy, which I assumed they would be. Regardless, its a very cool looking, very sharp knife that will be make a good skinning knife.
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Ruger .44 Carbine

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:26 pm

JayZuv wrote:I'll have some photos up soon, currently out of town. The blade definitely has the patterned finish similar to that in the photo, but it has no makers mark that I can see, and isn't all that heavy, which I assumed they would be. Regardless, its a very cool looking, very sharp knife that will be make a good skinning knife.
Would not worry about a makers mark at all.
Does not diminish the value, especially to you. Weight is not an issue, just durability of the blade and how well it keeps an edge.
Many different materials can be used for making a Damascus. Please send a pic when you're able. In the mean time...Do try to catch the program! They aren't always doing Damascus, but maybe you will see one that is...
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 pm

markiver54 wrote:
JayZuv wrote:I'll have some photos up soon, currently out of town. The blade definitely has the patterned finish similar to that in the photo, but it has no makers mark that I can see, and isn't all that heavy, which I assumed they would be. Regardless, its a very cool looking, very sharp knife that will be make a good skinning knife.
Would not worry about a makers mark at all.
Does not diminish the value, especially to you. Weight is not an issue, just durability of the blade and how well it keeps an edge.
Many different materials can be used for making a Damascus. Please send a pic when you're able. In the mean time...Do try to catch the program! They aren't always doing Damascus, but maybe you will see one that is...

Thanks for the info! I have seen an episode or two of the show, Ill have to find the ones where they work with damascus, would be cool to see how it all comes togehter.
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Ruger .44 Carbine

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:47 pm

IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG
Okay I had some photos sent to me. So, here it is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Ruger .44 Carbine

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm

below is a link to a YouTube video showing the basic process for making Damascus blades .... the suggestion to view a few episodes of Forged In Fire is an excellent one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72jqba4qe0
1 x