Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Damascus knives

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Looks like Ya done good...beautiful knife, congrats!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:53 pm

My understanding is that Damascus steel helps with the hardness vs brittleness issue with knife steel. The harder the blade, the longer the edge lasts. Unfortunately, it also makes it more brittle. The Damascus steel, being layers of two or more alloys, allows you to have layers of harder than normal steel, which give the desired durability of the edge, the softer layers in between will help to keep the harder layers from fracturing.

I also understand that modern alloys and heat treatment techniques make the advantages of Damascus moot. This assumes you have the advanced alloys and heat treatment vs more pedestrian steel.

The pattern comes from chemical etching which etches differently between the different alloys.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been fascinated by "Damascus Steel" since I read about it in my Golden Encyclopedia.
The point here is it was a form of steel in a world were only Iron existed.
A billet of good grade iron was heated in the forge and the hammed out. The folded over and forge welded and hammerd out again and again.
During the forge welding and hammering carbon is trapped innthe surface of the iron.
300-400 layers with of Carbon Steel.
The industrial out of weapon like this happen in three cultures.
Japan, Damascus Syria, and the Vikings.
The Viking used rods of iron twisted and hammer forged welded them into swords.

Tim
0 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 pm

clovishound wrote:My understanding is that Damascus steel helps with the hardness vs brittleness issue with knife steel. The harder the blade, the longer the edge lasts. Unfortunately, it also makes it more brittle. The Damascus steel, being layers of two or more alloys, allows you to have layers of harder than normal steel, which give the desired durability of the edge, the softer layers in between will help to keep the harder layers from fracturing.

I also understand that modern alloys and heat treatment techniques make the advantages of Damascus moot. This assumes you have the advanced alloys and heat treatment vs more pedestrian steel.

The pattern comes from chemical etching which etches differently between the different alloys.
"Moot" ? = a bit of skepticism. Only performance can discern whether that is the case or not. If he got his knife from an experienced forger from Alaska, I personally would be optimistic!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 pm

What I meant was that some of the better modern alloys and treatments may rival the qualities of Damascus steel knives.

This is my understanding. I am certainly not an expert on knife steel. Just have done some research, and I have some experience in dealing with woodworking hand tools with a couple different alloys.

Like so many other things there is a lot of differing opinions on what makes a good knife alloy. There are a lot of trade offs between differing steels, and some folks lean heavier to some qualities vs others. One thing almost everyone agrees on is the fact that Damascus steel knives look really cool.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JayZuv » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:30 pm

I think the cool factor is what sold me above all else for sure. Quality/Durability likely won't be known until i put it to work, and ill update on that when I do. If anything, I always have my trusty Ka-bar, which I'm a bit partial to as they're made in my home town. If you've never used one, I highly recommend!
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:37 pm

clovishound wrote:What I meant was that some of the better modern alloys and treatments may rival the qualities of Damascus steel knives.

This is my understanding. I am certainly not an expert on knife steel. Just have done some research, and I have some experience in dealing with woodworking hand tools with a couple different alloys.

Like so many other things there is a lot of differing opinions on what makes a good knife alloy. There are a lot of trade offs between differing steels, and some folks lean heavier to some qualities vs others. One thing almost everyone agrees on is the fact that Damascus steel knives look really cool.
Agreed clovis, and " Good " Damascus can stand with the the rest. I guess that's where material, experience and excellent forging come in to consideration, along with looking really cool! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry