Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kukri Identification

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Kukri Identification

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:32 am

Back to your OP question, Csgrv. I've finally waded through the article info on your attempt to identify your knife as a possible Nepalese military Kukri. And I do mean waded! Found other research articles, but won't list those here. The research out there on this knife style is huge.

I think finding a definitive answer to your original question leans toward nigh-near impossible. My general impression of that conclusion comes from this author's often-stated difficulty in identification, particularly because of lack of markings, and the literal fact so much has been unable to be translated. A couple of words he uses more than once are "mystery" and "opaque." As examples when dealing with kukris that even had some English language stamps on them he wrote:

English language stamps are actually seen from time to time on all of the preceding types of kukris that we have reviewed. In my collection I have Sirupates, Budhumes, CGAKs and SGAKs that all have English language stamps. The exact meaning of these marks, and who made them, remains a mystery.

Then he again looked at the Gurkha:
If the SGAKs are something of a mystery, the “Late Gurkha Army Kukris” are positively opaque.

Here are my final comments. With the scope of the research done in this article, I actually wondered who the writer was. So I dug around on the "Kung Fu Tea" sight and found the author is a Ph.D. in Political Science. The blog is an academic blog. No wonder the research was so detailed and organized.

Under the heading link "CV," this professor listed his email for contacting him. I would bet he would answer an email inquiry from you, especially if you submit your Kukri photo(s) to him. That would be the closest you might come to an answer to your inquiry. Here is that contact info.

Curriculum Vitae
Benjamin N. Judkins, Ph.D.
Email: ben.judkins@gmail.com

Sure would be interesting to hear what you learn if you pursue this contact. I hope the fellow would be willing to help. If I had your knife, I'd definitely make the inquiry to him.

Thanks for your post.
PT7
csgrv wrote:Does anyone know were to find Identification information on Kukri style knives?

I have searched the internet but come up with a bunch of things on the older collectors pieces.

I think the one I have dates to the 40' or 50's but would just like to know. I will post photos if needed but don't have it with me right now.

Thanks
0 x

~Пока~

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Kukri Identification

Post by bmur66 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 am

csgrv wrote:I figure you are right about Kukrimart. Not that it matters to me, I was really just curious. Still I think it was a great deal and a good blade.
Absolutely. That is a handcrafted beauty!
0 x