Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Someday" axe is today.

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

"Someday" axe is today.

Post by PT7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Last August I posted a thread showing the long-bearded, hand-forged Siberian / Slavic / Viking axe I wanted to get.

"The someday Siberian hand-forged Axe"
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5019

It was definitely a "someday" axe since I didn't have the funds then. And now that axe has been sold. Since the forger only creates originals, I wondered if I'd find one again that I liked.

Recently I received one of his marketing emails, which had some of his axes and knives listed at a reduced, sale price. Found another axe I liked, which is the same configuration as my first choice. However, there is one difference. The August axe had a 12" hickory handle (small version), and this axe has a 16" hickory handle (medium version). Ah, a larger-handled long beard with a 15% reduced price tag. It didn't take me too long to decide on getting it.

I've been gathering pennies since last summer (an axe fund), and as a December birthday gift to myself, I ordered this larger model. The axe arrived today, and I'm again impressed at this forger's skill building quality traditional tools; both his axes and knives. He didn't provide any specs other than the 16" handle length, and the steel blade measurement of 6-1/5". Definitely a very solid heft to it; I weighed it at 2-1/2 lbs. First use may be to chop up some small logs for a wood-burning firepit I'd like to get. That hopefully will happen late winter/early spring. Love to handle wood, and the warmth and smell of a wood fire is something I really enjoy in cool weather.

How many ways are there to photograph an axe? ;) Not sure, but here are some amateur photos.
PT7
DSCN2977.JPG
DSCN2978.JPG
DSCN2979.JPG
DSCN2982.JPG
DSCN2981.JPG
DSCN2980.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: "Someday" axe is today.

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 pm

very nice .... I'm pretty sure that any Viking would be pleased with it .. ;) .. it has the look of a throwing axe but I don't think I could bring myself to do so .... my major use for a hatchet is to split hickory chunks down to a size I like to use in our smoker .... yours would be great for that
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 am

Beautiful piece of work, heirloom quality.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 am

Beautiful axe, PT7. It will be put to good use, I'm certain of it. Thanks for the great photos.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks, Jim. Not quite sure what the "look of a throwing axe" is; could you explain? And did you ever throw axes? Hard to imagine what it would feel like to throw this heavy axe...

The only sharp "tool" I've ever thrown is a shuriken. It was really fun reading about them, and trying to master the throw. Actually used for a "target" the broad side of an old wooden barn at my son's-in-law property. And I never missed! :lol:

Almost forgot about this. When I was a kid, we threw knifes when we played the backyard game called "Stretch." So I guess that is kind of knife-throwing. ;)

PT7
JEBar wrote:very nice .... I'm pretty sure that any Viking would be pleased with it .. ;) .. it has the look of a throwing axe but I don't think I could bring myself to do so .... my major use for a hatchet is to split hickory chunks down to a size I like to use in our smoker .... yours would be great for that
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:36 pm

we used to be members of a Black Powder Club that had as a side activity axe, knife, and hatchet throwing .... the looks of throwing hatchets varies widely .... as with so many things, it often boils down to a matter or personal preference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Beautiful piece, PT! Look forward to your throwing reports!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks, ESquared. Yes, I like how sharp-looking this handmade axe is.

Nope, I'll definitely NOT throw this new axe. Just got into an interesting side chat with JEBar.
Best that I stick with chopping/splitting up small logs for a wood fire in a pit. Much safer for me and anyone standing near any throwing zone!! :lol:
ESquared wrote:Beautiful piece, PT! Look forward to your throwing reports!
0 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Sweet looking axe. Looking forward to a report on how well it swings.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm

I remember playing stretched in Boy Scouts, with our pocket knifes, in tennis shoes. If you played that game, you know the consequences of missing your throw. Never happen in today's Scouts.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856