Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SAK flathead = gunsmith tool

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

SAK flathead = gunsmith tool

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Multi-tools are cool. 8-) And I found one Victorinox knife I have serves also as a gunsmith tool for my new .45LC Russian revolvers.

Back in June 2017 I posted my then new knife purchase of a SAK Victorinox Forester. (See that link at bottom of this thread). What I thought was an important component of this multi-tool was that even though the tools are all folding action, the main blade and the flathead screwdriver both have a liner-lock. Basically changes these two tools into a fixed-blade or fixed-tool mode. In this photo, the locked flathead is seen on the right end of the knife; large blade on left end. Flathead has a 6.35mm wide head on it.
DSCN2048.JPG
As I've done my dis-assembly/re-assembly of the Russian revolvers' cylinders in order to clean the gun, I've been challenged by the flat-head screw that locks the cylinder's retaining plate down. In the two sets of Grace Screwdrivers I have, none are wide enough to work this screw. This photo shows the blue-screw just above the cylinder on the top-strap of my Uberti Russian Silver revolver, which has the slot in the flat head screw with length of 9.52mm. Another surprise was that the flathead is thin enough to perfectly fit into the screw slot; almost like it was made for it!
NOOB_2779.JPG
It was great to find that this locking screwdriver worked perfectly, and that I didn't needed to buy another gunsmith screwdriver. At the moment, I have all the tools I need to work with my revolvers! :)

Yeah, I know 'tis a pretty trivial story; but sure does help having a good tool that mitigates scratching either the blued screw head or the revolver top strap. Like I said at the beginning, multi-tools are cool! ;)
PT7

SAK Victorinox Forester intro:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ter#p41109
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: SAK flathead = gunsmith tool

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:28 am

Good tale, not so trivial. Bits like this add to the collective tribal knowledge. Someone else may find this particular multitool useful with another firearm or even unrelated non-firearm use.
PT7 wrote:...Yeah, I know 'tis a pretty trivial story; but sure does help having a good tool ...
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: SAK flathead = gunsmith tool

Post by Catherine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Mags wrote:Good tale, not so trivial. Bits like this add to the collective tribal knowledge. Someone else may find this particular multitool useful with another firearm or even unrelated non-firearm use.
PT7 wrote:...Yeah, I know 'tis a pretty trivial story; but sure does help having a good tool ...
I agree with what Mags said.

Cate
1 x