Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Siberian Hand-Forged blade -- 1st photos

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Siberian Hand-Forged blade -- 1st photos

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:26 pm

New knife has arrived at PT7's place! :)

~~Traditional Siberian hand-forged Yakut / Evenki blade.
~~Maple Burl Wood handle with two inserts; Siberian Mammoth Tooth Fossil & Siberian Mountain Goat Bolster.
~~~~~(The Siberian woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) is an extinct species lived 400,000 years ago. Its closest extant relative is the Asian elephant).
~~Hand-made Leather Sheath with Bear Claw attached to leather belt or neck loop string.

This picture was part of the Siberian Forged web site showing the construction of the handle, describing the wood and two inserts.
photo1.jpg
The following nine pictures are the first taken of my knife-in-hand. :D
Enjoy the photo shoot!
PT7
DSCN2754.JPG
DSCN2756.JPG
DSCN2755.JPG
DSCN2757.JPG
DSCN2759.JPG
DSCN2758.JPG
DSCN2762.JPG
DSCN2760.JPG
DSCN2761.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Siberian Hand-Forged blade -- 1st photos

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm

that is truly a unique looking blade .... very nice indeed .... what are your plans for it ..?.. working blade or collector's item ..?
1 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Wow, that is a nice looking knife and it is in the style of shorter blade with full size handle that I like. The maple burl is really beautiful and the mammoth tooth insert is very attractive as well. I hope it gets to see game up close and personal this Fall. Congrats!
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:36 am

Appreciate it, Gents.

I've looked at this blade for quite a while (several months); finally decided to get it. At my first glances, I thought it might only be a part of my knife collection. However, the more I researched it and watched videos in which the knife was solidly worked, those changed my thinking. I'd like to use it as a working knife.

What impressed me was one video where it was a primary knife at a camp site in the woods. It handled a variety of wood cutting, fire prep (kindling), making tent stakes, cutting limb branches off, etc. There was even a segment in one video showing whittling; the fellow was very skilled and I was impressed. It was also a plus that he whittled with his right hand, and as mine is a right-handed knife also, I have a starting "guide."

So actually my first "outing" will be for some wood handling. The friend who lets me use his outdoor shooting range (Poverty Knob) puts on a fun evening of hay rides, a hearty barbeque spread, and large campfire for all members of our church. I plan to help him in the woods to make his marsh mellow and/or hot dog sticks, and get a nice pile of kindling ready to start the campfire. If needed, I'll first also work some meat prep, because he smokes and cooks various meats, which they serve. No one leaves hungry. ;)

Since I got it to be a working partner to my Russian 1874 top break revolver, it will be the knife I'll use to field dress any rabbit I might harvest this winter. So yes, TNman, I also hope "...it sees game up close and personal this hunting season."

After these two up front uses, it will then get a thorough cleaning and join my knife collection for a time. The wooden box the knife forger sent it in needs some "dressing up." I think I will stain it, and maybe add some hunting "deco" to the top lid. Or add one of the many "souvenir" medallions I brought back from my trips to the Soviet Union years ago. Spent some time in the Eastern republics, and just slightly south of Siberia. So I have some "deco" pieces to work with. Not too much thinking on this yet; but it would be a fun, small winter project.

One final comment. This blade is terribly sharp, which is a good start! I've really got to keep an eye out as I learn how to handle it. BTW, that almost perfectly-round handle fits my hand perfectly....couldn't be any better. I'm looking forward to using it.

Thanks for looking and your Qs. :)

PT7
JEBar wrote:that is truly a unique looking blade .... very nice indeed .... what are your plans for it ..?.. working blade or collector's item ..?

TNman wrote:Wow, that is a nice looking knife and it is in the style of shorter blade with full size handle that I like. The maple burl is really beautiful and the mammoth tooth insert is very attractive as well. I hope it gets to see game up close and personal this Fall. Congrats!
3 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 am

Is that a 'neck knife', PT7, or a full length 'belt knife' ? It looks absolutely stunning, and the sheath is as much a work of art as the knife itself!
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks all for "liking" this new knife. :)

The sheath is a real plus in my book, Les, and you're right that it is a "work of art." OK, it can be carried as a neck knife. Would have to lengthen the leather carry string by only using one loop around the top of sheath.

I plan to carry it looped as is on my belt. When I rabbit hunt, I'll carry my Russian revolver in a right-hand cross-draw holster. The knife will be on right sight of my belt and hangs with about a 45* cant, blade pointing to my right pocket. Should be pretty easy to pull the blade whenever needed.

For looks, the colors of the sheath's leather carry string and the wood knife handle are light and fairly close to the lighter holster leather color. The sheath color and grips on the revolver also come alongside each other in their darker brown coloring. Although I'm red/green colorblind, that's what I think my eyes see with these two tools!

Should be good-looking partners in the field. Following are a couple of photos of my "Slavic Duo."
PT7
Slavic Duo_2763.JPG
Slavic Duo_2764.JPG
Les wrote:Is that a 'neck knife', PT7, or a full length 'belt knife' ? It looks absolutely stunning, and the sheath is as much a work of art as the knife itself!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Very cool. Nice use of the fossilized mammoth tooth as an accent...
I think I'll have to fancy up my next build. Sigh.
Beautiful.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 am

That’s a beautiful knife!
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x