Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

knice Surprise

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

knice Surprise

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am

I made a humidor for a former Student of mine, a young Marine who went through classes I was teaching in the mid 80s. I took this kid under my wing and we stayed in touch over the years. I wrote a recommendation for him when he applied to Marine Security Guard School. (Embassy Duty) He was accepted, and did very well, travelling the world in Service to his Country. Later, he would leave the Corps and serve again, as a member of various "Initial Agencies." Mostly as a stringer. LOL. Eventually, he went to law school, and these days he is a partner in a law firm in FL.

He asked if I could make him that custom Humidor, and at first I told him that I thought it was beyond my skill levels... but he and Miss T convinced me to try. I needed something to do anyway. :) He told me that he was thrilled with the dang thing when he received it... but I didn't know how much until I got a surprise in the mail on Saturday. He ticked off a bullet on my bucket list with this.... something I always wanted but never dropped the coin to acquire.
knife 2.jpg
This is a custom made Fixed Blade Fighter from a custom knife maker. The knife is a copy of a SEAL team origin called TASS. The Damacus blade was hand forged by the knifemaker and the Elk Stag scales were shaped and polished by the maker as well. My Marine tells me the knife is made to be used, but I have a feeling this one will be kept safe, in the gun safe with my other collectibles. I have a number of daily use knives already...

... this gift, and the thought behind it, makes it priceless.

BTW, the sheath is designed to be worn vertical or horizontal in the middle of the back on the beltline. If you have seen Jurassic World with Chris Pratt, his character in that film is a former SEAL. Look in the middle of his back throughout the movie. He is wearing a knife much like this one, but with Micarta Scales, the other way this maker options this knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: knice Surprise

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 am

k-nice friend! Sweet k-nife. Good to have friends that make life itself priceless.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:14 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:He ticked off a bullet on my bucket list with this....a custom made Fixed Blade Fighter from a custom knife maker. The knife is a copy of a SEAL team origin called TASS. The Damacus blade was hand forged by the knifemaker and the Elk Stag scales were shaped and polished by the maker as well... this gift, and the thought behind it, makes it priceless.
It's a Beautiful and, yes, priceless gift, Marine. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that more than one bucket list bullet was ticked off by this exchange, acknowledging your friendship and appreciation for the time you spent together.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Hoo-rah, indeed! Great story and great outcome for both of you. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful work all the way around.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm

ESquared wrote:Hoo-rah, indeed! Great story and great outcome for both of you. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful work all the way around.
For those who didn't see, or don't remember... this is the humidor their confidence allowed me to complete. Mahogany with a walnut insert inlaid in the top. Lined with Spanish Cedar and brass hinges. My Guy was pretty happy I guess. I told him if it exploded, or fell apart, I'd make another... this time in Curly Cherry. 8-)
done 1.jpg
done 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 pm

* Their Confidence. Miss T and my boy in FL.
2 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Very nice knife with history and special meanings.....Also that was great work you did on the humidor too!
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Great knife. Good story too.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 pm

You have a beautiful friendship and a beautiful knife.

You made a lovely gift for him too.

Cate
0 x