Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Morakniv Eldris

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Morakniv Eldris

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:25 pm

Here is a handy neat little inexpensive Swedish knife by Morakniv called the Eldris. It won acclaim from a group of outdoor enthusiasts winning the Scandinavian Outdoors Award a couple of years ago; I ran across it on eBay when searching for Helle knives. It was about $21 to my door so why not? I've been playing with it for a few hours and can see that it is a light, handy, sharp, and strong utility knive. The blade is Sandvik Swedish 12C27 which is good knife steel. It comes in several colors; addition of a neck lanyard makes it very handy being always at hand. Made of modern materials it is pretty much weatherproof and doesn't break the bank. Wood and leather are nice but practical has its beauty too. My photos aren't coming up from the iPad...will see if they can be added from the phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Morakniv Eldris

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Nice toad sticker. Another feature, the knife spine is ground and left unpolished so one could use it to light a match.

Morakniv Eldris would also make cool avatar name.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Sharp-looking utility knife, TNman. I've noticed maybe a pattern of preference in some of the knives you've posted. Most have fairly short blades. Do you prefer short-bladed knives? What is the blade length on this one?

I have one Morakniv. It's called a Heavy Duty Military Green Companion Knife. The blade steel is Swedish Carbon for the 4" clip point blade; rubber handle and polymer sheath. Yup, all military green. So with that steel composition this blade is prone to easily rust, and needs almost immediate attention after use; wipe off the blade and oil it right away. I've actually let mine "soak" in olive oil. And I do agree with your comment about the Eldris carrying Sandvik 12C27 steel; that is good material.

I re-read the description on my blade tonight, and found a characteristic I had forgotten about. With use (like mine has already had), they say the blade color will turn a dullish grey, which also improves its resistance to rust/corrosion. That color change definitely happened to mine!

Posting two photos. The first is a stock photo from KnifeCenter, and it shows the lighter stainless steel blade color, just like it appeared when I first picked it up NOOB. Second photo is my knife today, and you can see the change to a darker blade color. It's a good knife and has maintained well its sharp edge. Thanks for another sharp-looking post! ;)

PT7
Morakniv HeavyDuty MG_model 12494.jpg
Morakniv_2658.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

The Eldris bade is listed at 2.2”; I do prefer smaller blades if they are made of good quality steel. They are easily carried in different ways and are easier to control in use. They are sort of like a surgeon’s scapel. I will see how far the Eldris gets in field dressing a deer hopefully; the old Folkekniven will be standing by to rescue it if needed.
Your Morakniv is a nice practical knife; I actually prefer a good high carbon blade over stainless because they are easier to sharpen and take a good edge. In use the high carbon blade seems to bite into the work better than stainless imo. They do require a bit more care and the grayish black patina is very pleasing. It seems like most knives are stainless nowadays even the high quality ones.
Did you get your Yakut yet....it is an interesting design that does seem to have evolved from sharpened bones in the beginning before steel was available. I could see myself ‘needing’ one of those..lol.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Agreed on the knife control issue when the blade is smaller. But you did surprise me when you said you'll try the 2.2" Eldris in dressing a deer. Would like to see that!

My Morakniv is the only carbon blade I have, and it really isn't overly hard to care for....just have to pay attention to do it and not let any rust take over. Like I said, mine has remained quite sharp to-date, and it does cut well. I've used it on still hard, almost-thawed meat prep and have had a good experience getting the job done.

Still patiently waiting on the Yakut. When the forger emailed me late last week, he said he hoped to be finally done with it and ship before this week is over....shall see. I did get another marketing email from him today in which he said he had just posted more new knives and axes on his web site. I hesitate to look! Already would like to get the long-beard axe. What I wouldn't want to see is a knife that I like better than the one I got....that would not be the way to go!! :roll: Anyway, when I do get the Yakut blade, I'll take some photos and will do an intro post.

Be careful and safe with your new blade. Sharp newbies sure can easily bite us.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 pm

TNman wrote:Here is a handy neat little inexpensive Swedish knife by Morakniv called the Eldris. It won acclaim from a group of outdoor enthusiasts winning the Scandinavian Outdoors Award a couple of years ago; I ran across it on eBay when searching for Helle knives. It was about $21 to my door so why not? I've been playing with it for a few hours and can see that it is a light, handy, sharp, and strong utility knive. The blade is Sandvik Swedish 12C27 which is good knife steel. It comes in several colors; addition of a neck lanyard makes it very handy being always at hand. Made of modern materials it is pretty much weatherproof and doesn't break the bank. Wood and leather are nice but practical has its beauty too. My photos aren't coming up from the iPad...will see if they can be added from the phone.
My husband bought one of these knives for me and mine is black.

He bought this one and a couple of other Mora brand knives at our local Cabela's store here in town.

Cate
Typos!
0 x