Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hudson Bay axes by LL Bean (Council)

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Hudson Bay axes by LL Bean (Council)

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:43 pm

I was at camp over the weekend. PT7 had wanted to see my Granfors Bruk axes. I had only brought the LL Bean team. A pair of Council Hudson's Bay axes that LL Bean offered at one time recently. I didn't have a Hudson Bay Style axe and got them both. The Council Tool Velvicut axe is a premium axe. LL Bean put their name on the handle and leather sheath and Council still shows on the axe head. I had used them a few times before, but got them out for a special job.

At camp, our neighbors from Arlington Va were there. They are a great family and we enjoy them when they are at camp. I was only there for less than 48 hrs, so Saturday night, I was going to have a backyard fire in the pit.

I should preface this with the following: All the neighbors and friends at camp know my "International Signal". If a campfire or the Tiki Torches or both are lit in the back yard, I'm in the backyard getting lit.
All are welcome, the more the merrier.

It was a fun night and the axes were used to make some smaller wood to start the fire. They are sharp too. I cut my hand a bit taking off one of the leather sheaths. I just let it bleed as it was small. The axe heads are both the same size, but the handles are very different in length. The longer handle is a couple inches shorter than what Council offers. I wish mine were that extra two inches, but it's ok. The smaller handle was more like a hatchet with a heavy head. Not bad, not great.

Here are the photos.

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Hudson Bay axes by LL Bean (Council)

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Very nice. Great incision, too! Does LL Bean still sell these?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:06 pm

nice .... I checked and they are available on Amazon (link below) .... they offer so many different ones that I couldn't tell which ones are like yours

https://www.amazon.com/council-tool-hud ... 0bay%20axe
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:46 pm

A sharp-looking pair, Dave....nice photos of axes and kindling. And the "Council" stamp in the axe head provides some cool 8-) character.

Glad it was only a tiny, mild ouch. Always good when it's just a small reminder cut and not a big bite! :roll:
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Those are nice looking axes dd; the Hudson Bay pattern axe head pattern is very nice IMO. Sort of reminiscent of a tomahawk. And skin and sharp quality steel don't mix.....
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Man I hate when my skin leaks in that color. There is usually pain involved and it takes forever to heal. Careful there Dave those hands need to guide us on the computer. Hit the wood next time. Nice axes to.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 am

JEBar wrote:nice .... I checked and they are available on Amazon (link below) .... they offer so many different ones that I couldn't tell which ones are like yours

https://www.amazon.com/council-tool-hud ... 0bay%20axe
Try council velvicut. That is their top line series of axes. They have a few styles at that range.

The longer handle would be my only addition. I may order a longer handle and re hang the axe.

In looking at the LL Bean site, they appear to only carry the longer handle one now.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 am

info appreciated
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Nice Hudson Bay axes!

Cate
0 x