Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wood Maintenance...knives and firearms..

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Wood Maintenance...knives and firearms..

Post by TNman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Looking at my old Folkekniven the other day made me realize it needed some routine maintenance. After using 4/0 steel wool to clean the wood, a good layer of Watco Danish wiping stain was applied. After that dryed in a few minutes a good coat ofJohnson’s paste wax was applied. Blade touch up with a ceramic rod finished the knife. A light layer of jpw was applied to the sheath also. Now it’s ready for about its 15th or so deer season! That’s how I maintain the wood on my knives and rifles. There may be better methods but these products seem to work well. An old gunsmith told me about the Watco wiping stains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Wood Maintenance...knives and firearms..

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Not trying to change your preference of the jpw. Wondering if you have ever used Renaissance Wax Polish? There are quite of number of thread chats about this stuff, and a lot of Henry Folk like it and use it, myself included.

And appreciate that you mentioned Watco Danish wiping stain. Not heard of that, and it looks interesting as it penetrates the knife handle wood and doesn't just "sit" on the surface. Is that available at hardware stores, or only on the internet? Thanks.

The Folkekniven looks good and ready to go!
0 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:43 pm

I have never used RWP but it sounds like a good product; I will pick some up and give it a whirl. I think I purchased the Watco at Home Depot and/or Lowes. I have used a fair amount of it to wipe/stain raw planed wood for household applications. It is a good product imo.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:56 pm

I have used Watco Danish Oil on a lot of wood projects over the years. It is a great product for a lot of uses. I often use it on wooden handles. The amount of gloss can be controlled by using more coats until the desired result is obtained. It is basically boiled linseed oil with a small amount of varnish. It works particularly well on hard oily tropical woods. Curing oils generally darken unfinished woods and bring out the grain.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Plan to look for Watco Danish Oil next time at our Home Depot; or maybe check at Menards.
I have two Victorinox blades -- a SAK Forester multi-tool and a SAK Hunter Pro. Both of these models have beautiful wood handles, but both lean more toward blond wood. Looking to darken the wood to my preferred look.
Thanks for the intro to this product.
0 x

~Пока~