Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gransfor Bruks mini hatchet

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Gransfor Bruks mini hatchet

Post by TNman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Here is another long time cutlery companion and favorite. It goes in my hunting kit every time unless I’m just hunting squirrels in the back holler. Bought it new about 20 years ago for $75... I think they are >$150 now if you can find one. Only one smith forges these minis in the GB facility; this particular one was forged by Lennart Pettersson, thus the ‘LP’ stamped on the head. The grooves in the hickory handle are my addition. Do any of y’all have one of these? It is a little jewel imo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Gransfor Bruks mini hatchet

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Beautiful! Love the sheath, too. Thanks for sharing. I have no clue about any of this type of hardware, but it's obviously "the don't make 'em like this any more" pieces.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:52 pm

The US distributor for Gransfors Bruks is right here in beautiful Summerville SC.

They are really cool tools.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:18 pm

I haven't had an axe for a number of years now, mainly since our camping days ended, and I also quit cutting up firewood. Have looked at them from time-to-time, and lately even checked out the Siberian hand-forged axes at the company I just ordered the Yakut/Evenki knife from. But those traditional axes are quite spendy.

Anyway, that's not the first tool you've shown, TNman, where you have cut grooves into the wood handles. They really look nice, add a lot to that good-looking wood; definitely from what I see at a craftsman level. How did you cut those in, with what tool(s)? Then sanding and restaining? Interested in the good work you've done to your wood. Thanks.
PT7

TNman wrote:…. Only one smith forges these minis in the GB facility; this particular one was forged by Lennart Pettersson, thus the ‘LP’ stamped on the head. The grooves in the hickory handle are my addition. Do any of y’all have one of these? It is a little jewel imo.
1 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:22 pm

PT7... I use a rat tail wood rasp to get them about as deep as I want then use a chain saw file for the final smoothing. Then I will take some wiping stain and rub into the fresh grooves and finally seal everything with several coats Johnson paste wax. I feel the grooves help make the handle a little less slippery in wet or bloody conditions; having a sharp tool slip while in use could be disastrous. I’m not afraid to modify a tool for my personal use. The traditional forged steel tools made in Northern Europe/Scandinavia are really nice imo.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Now I'll have my next "research project" from your grooves note, TNman...thanks! One is to check out the tool you used --- that's a newbie to me. Then to keep on reading about traditional forged tools. Agreed. Those made in Northern Europe & Scandinavia are rich in craftsmanship and tradition. Again, both the functionality and look of the handle grooves you've made is good work.

I think the same about Slavic hand-forged/hand-made cutting tools. I'll not add more of that info to your thread in order not to not "steal it." ;) So I think I'll go back to the selection of axes I looked at on the Yakut/Evenki knife web site, and will post a new thread. Just to show what hand-forged axe I'd put in my future bucket list. I've look at it for a long time now, but from the wallet's position, could only do the knife at this time. Someday maybe the new axe will happen.....Fun-fun. :)

TNman wrote:PT7... I use a rat tail wood rasp to get them about as deep as I want then use a chain saw file for the final smoothing. Then I will take some wiping stain and rub into the fresh grooves and finally seal everything with several coats Johnson paste wax. I feel the grooves help make the handle a little less slippery in wet or bloody conditions; having a sharp tool slip while in use could be disastrous. I’m not afraid to modify a tool for my personal use. The traditional forged steel tools made in Northern Europe/Scandinavia are really nice imo.
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:46 am

I have two Gransfor Bruks axes. I love them. I have never seen this one. It's a perfect size for a pack. Thanks for sharing it and making me look for one.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 am

Can you do pics, descripts & uses of your axes, Dave?

daytime dave wrote:I have two Gransfor Bruks axes. I love them. I have never seen this one. It's a perfect size for a pack. Thanks for sharing it and making me look for one.
0 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Beautiful!

I believe that our Bob Ward's store still sells this good brand. My husband looked at one last Christmas but I do not remember which one he was looking at.

I like fixed blade knives, axes and hatchets very much!

Cate
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:07 pm

...she says the day before Halloween :o ... :lol:
Catherine wrote:Beautiful! ... I like fixed blade knives, axes and hatchets very much!
Cate
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234