Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Helle on the way...

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Another Helle on the way...

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Well the knife discussion with PT7 got me to thinking knives and looking at some of the current Helle models. I tend to like smaller knives for hunting and camp use and their relatively new Mândra model caught my interest. After reading more about it and watching some video I figured I needed one. Well I let it simmer on the back burner of my mind for a day or two and the want didn’t go away...so I ordered one. Les Stroud, aka Survivorman, participated in the design with Helle; that wasn’t necessarily a plus imo but probably increases the cost a bit no doubt. Any way knowing Helle quality and steel the design is very attractive for me. So one is on the way. The plan is for use on squirrels and deer which are my primary game animals...and as a general camp knife as well. The full tang, triple laminated blade, birch scales, size, lanyard hole, neck carry capability, and choil design are criteria that sold me. I will include a stock photo of the Mândra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Another Helle on the way...

Post by ESquared » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Beautiful wood and some serious looking steel, as well, great choice! What are some of the dimensions? Sort of resembles a chef's knife, to my eye...

Really nice. Look forward to your live pics!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Glad to help out, TNman. :lol: I really liked the looks and characteristics of these Norwegian blades...very sharp-looking. ;) And like I already said, the years of dependable use you already got out of your Folkekniven is a real plus.

Yup, I also look forward to the "real" photos and anything else you write up on the Mândra blade.
PT7
TNman wrote:Well the knife discussion with PT7 got me to thinking knives and looking at some of the current Helle models. I tend to like smaller knives for hunting and camp use and their relatively new Mândra model caught my interest. After reading more about it and watching some video I figured I needed one.....
1 x

~Пока~

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Very nice. I'm not much for carrying a belt knife anymore but do like to see them. Looks like it comes with a very nice sheath also.

1 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

ESquared, it is a smallish knife, < 6” oal. I found one nib that was about $20 cheaper than the going rate and I figured that was because of the plain scales. Some of them have a fair amount of figure in the scales. Here is a photo captured from Helle webpage that shows the dimensions in mm. 25.4 mm= 1” I think... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x