Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kitchen knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Kitchen knives

Post by dave77 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Got them today and sliced up a few veggies. Very nice looking and very sharp. That is a mushroom slice behind the radish slices.

0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 am

Those are great looking knives. Made my Christmas wish list.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:42 am

Nice knives. Its also been my observation that one who has skills with a knife can make any knife look good. But no $300 knife is going to make a shoemaker look good. Practice, practice, practice!!
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 pm

ChefDuane wrote:Nice knives. Its also been my observation that one who has skills with a knife can make any knife look good. But no $300 knife is going to make a shoemaker look good. Practice, practice, practice!!
While good tools are an important part of any skill, it is no doubt the person behind the tool is the key factor. I remember years ago when I was into photography, you know, back when everyone used film, there were folks that thought that if they spent a lot of money on high end photography equipment that it would dramatically improve their photography. Most would have been better served to spend their money on some classes.

Having said that, it is still a joy to use a fine tool.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:29 am

All these sharpening posts have me wondering. I seem to remember that the package the Wusthof came in mentioned something about a 12 degree angle on the bevel. I'm pretty sure I sharpened it pretty close to the original bevel angle which appears to be somewhere at or below 15 degrees. Doing some reading on the internet I see that western knives are traditionally sharpened at a steeper angle. More like 20 degrees. I'm sure the steel in this lower tier Wusthof is not up to the same standard as some of the harder japanese steels that sharpened at much shallower angles. The 20 degree edge will last longer between sharpenings, although it will not glide though foods as easily. Any thoughts about bevel angle?
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Those are beautiful knives. Use them well and show us more of what you make.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Kitchen knives bevel and a sharpening question

Post by dave77 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Both of my new knives have a 12 degree bevel.

I think I'm going to order a King 1000/6000 waterstone and was also thinking of getting a ceramic honing rod. One of the few ceramic rods I see on Amazon states the grit is 1500. So I'm wondering if I sharpen a knife with the 6000 grit waterstone and then hone it with the 1500 grit rod won't I actually be dulling the blade? Are the grit ratings different between ceramic and waterstones?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:43 am

I haven't been able to confirm it, but I suspect that the rods are equivalent to sandpaper grits. A 6000 grit waterstone should be somewhere between 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. If you want to go finer than 6000 waterstone, I would look at stropping with CrO2. That's the green abrasive crayons. I normally strop plane irons and chisels with CrO2 on wood, but think that a leather strop would be better for a knife. I need to try stropping a knife on wood with CrO2.

6000 grit waterstones are 2 microns. CrO2 is .5 microns. So you are moving up quite a bit.

Source: https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/grits.htm
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:39 am

clovishound wrote:I haven't been able to confirm it, but I suspect that the rods are equivalent to sandpaper grits. A 6000 grit waterstone should be somewhere between 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. If you want to go finer than 6000 waterstone, I would look at stropping with CrO2. That's the green abrasive crayons. I normally strop plane irons and chisels with CrO2 on wood, but think that a leather strop would be better for a knife. I need to try stropping a knife on wood with CrO2.

6000 grit waterstones are 2 microns. CrO2 is .5 microns. So you are moving up quite a bit.

Source: https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/grits.htm
Is this what you're talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Plus-Stro ... +strop+kit

https://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Compou ... B076X3LNQ3
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 am

I generally sharpen on the Worksharp and then use a ceramic rod to hone. I also use the ceramic rod to touch up a knife that got used a bit. I find that six or ten touch ups on a ceramic rod and then another sharpening session on the Worksharp. "Your results may vary"
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member