Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kitchen knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Kitchen knives

Post by clovishound » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:54 am

Didn't search beyond the first page, but haven't seen anything about kitchen knives.

I haven't bought any decent kitchen knives in the past. I would like to have a good thin, well balanced knife that holds a good edge.

Two things, first, my daughter wants a replacement for for her 5" santoku. I was looking at the Hencklel and Wusthof offerings. She doesn't need a real high end knife, but would like something that holds an edge for longer than the average Hollywood marriage. I wanted to pick up one locally for her birthday, but looks like I'll have to order one online for Christmas, or some other special occasion.

When I was out looking for the santoku, I saw a 4.5 inch paring knife by Wusthof and bought it on impulse. I should have done my research. It turns out this was not their "better" line. It's supposed to be HCS, but there is no steel designation, so it's anybody's guess what it's made of. It takes a good edge, and is fairly thin. Only time will tell whether it needs to be resharpened too often. I didn't pay a whole lot for it, so not a big loss if it doesn't meet expectations.

From my further research, I found that both Henckel and Wusthof use a steel that is not terribly high in carbon, and apparently doesn't hold an edge as long as some steels. Not sure if that is just the steel snobs, or a real concern for someone who just wants a decent knife.

I was thinking about perhaps one of the Japanese made santukos. I see several on Amazon in the $50 - $80 range that look good, but are names I am not familiar with.

Thoughts?
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Kitchen knives

Post by Mags » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Have a set of Henckel. Seems like we are always having to sharpen them.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm

we have 2 sets of Cutco knives .... 1 at home, 1 in our camper .... we've had both sets for something over 10 years .... they hold their edges well and when it becomes necessary, they are easy to sharpen with something like a Bavarian Edge.... while they aren't cheap, they are far from the most expensive out there ....
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I use three different-make knives for my kitchen duties.

5" Cuisinart Classic Stainless Steel
This was a gift from one of my daughters. Believe she purchased it at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, which is her favorite store. It is lightweight, comfortable in my large hand, holds sharpness well. I like it particularly because it is so plain....all nice-looking stainless. Does a good job for me especially that I'm always dicing vegetables and potatoes. Sorry, never took any photos.

Al Mar C4 Petite Chef Knife 4.75" Blade, Black Pakkawood Handles
This might be one for you to consider and take a close look at. I got it a couple of years ago as a requested Christmas gift from another daughter (we do family gift exchanges with $100 limit). I did all the research, and even found it on sale for her to purchase on the internet! The blade is very thin, sharper than sharp, and the ergonomically-comfortable Pakkawood handle doesn't slip around in my hand at all. It is not extremely expensive. We got this one for about $70 with the MSRP at $115 back in 2016. I know that one internet shop, https://www.knifecenter.com sells Al-Mar knives. Certain you'll find one there.

Here are the research specs I found:

• Overall Length: 9.00"
• Blade Length: 4.75"
• Blade Material: VG-2
• Edge Type: Plain
• Handle Length: 4.25"
• Handle Material: Pakkawood
• Color: Wood
• Weight: 3.00 oz.
• Knife Type: Fixed Blade
• Brand: Al Mar
• Model: Utility
• Model Number: AM-C4
• Country of Origin: Japan
• Best Use: Kitchen
• Finish: Satin
• Blade Style: Drop Point

It is a great knife, and glad I chose it. Also I've had other Japanese-made knives, and usually find them to be of good all-around quality. This one has definitely not disappointed.

Buck 119
This is a great knife, and I've used it a lot in the kitchen. But definitely too thick of a blade based on your preference.

Knife Photos
The first photo is one I took as I was gathering up kitchen cutlery and food to prepare a crock pot dinner --- meat, veggies, potatoes....it was YUM! :) My Al-Mar did a great job partnering with my Buck in the kitchen duty that day.
al-mar partnered with buck 119.jpg
These photos are my Al-Mar right after I opened it NOOB. Had a big grin on my face when that box lid came open....it's a very sharp, sharp-looking kitchen knife!
DSCN1782.JPG
DSCN1783.JPG
DSCN1784.JPG
DSCN1785.JPG
So that's my primary kitchen cutlery crew. I'm happy with each one.
Hope whatever you find suits your slicing needs well, Clovishound. Let us know what you finally get.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

as noted above, my wife uses Cutco knives .... I have 4 that I use exclusively in food prep ... they are all shaving sharp and my wife prefers not to use them :

1st picture .... 2 vintage Uncle Henry fillet knives .... both started out with 11.5" blades ... I cut them down to 6" .... I find that when I need a thin blade, they do a great job

2nd picture .... my new Buck 119 now serves the purpose when I need a heavier blade

3rd picture .... my Buck 110 .... its always on my belt .... we do a great deal of grilling out / entertaining .... the 110 is always handy and I use it as a general purpose blade .... in addition, when we go out to a restaurant were they have sorry steak knives, I have no reservations about drawing and using my Buck .... doing so doesn't seem to embarrass my wife as much as it used to, guess after many years she's getting used to it .. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Found this

https://www.thespruceeats.com/differenc ... es-4109602

I have a set of KitchenAid knives, I use the Santoku more than any of the others, occasionally use the sharpening steel that came with it.

This one looks and sounds so nice I may have to order one.

https://www.amazon.com/ZELITE-INFINITY- ... %7C%7C1%7C
0 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 am

Make sure you get a high carbon knife (less flex and holds an edge better), a full tang knife tapered with a sufficient bolster. Also, you don't have to sharpen a good knife all that often, just steel it every time you use it (especially if cutting bone.) We have Wustofs, Henckels, and Victorinoxes at the shop. My personal knives are Messermeisters and I do not take them to the shop. Shop and Prep knives take a beating.

A choice in a Chef's Knife also depends upon what product you cut and how you cut. Many folks complain about knives due to the fact that they are not using the knife correctly (grip, cut angle, etc) or using the wrong knife for a specific purpose. Also, the substrate used (cutting board) plays a large part also. We never use wood cutting boards simply because they are bacteria breeders, promote cross contamination, and don't really hold up well. We use polymer boards. My favorite is a San Jamar CBG121812WH. Polymer blend, heat and chemical resistant, NSF certified, and you can run it through a commercial dishwasher.

As far as sharpening - we don't do ours ourselves. We have a professional service that comes in and sharpens all our knives periodically. I can stone a knife if I have to but I really don't want to have to do it.

We do have a couple of santoku's that are ok. I like the ones with the blade relief cutout so the product releases nicely. I don't care for the short length of the santoku's tho. I prefer a 10" or 12" chef or utility knife.

Also, we never buy knives from retail (BB+Beyond, Sur La Table, etc..) - waaaay too expensive. Look for a restaurant supply in your area. Better prices but you might have to be in the industry to buy there. Anyone here in the Dallas area should be familiar with AceMart. Big hard goods supply house. There are a few stores in the Metroplex. Worth a look.
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 am

Thanks for the advice, chefduane. I recently discovered how much a steel can do for you. I am certainly not a chef, nor would I consider myself a cook. I do, however, like having a sharp, well behaved knife when I prepare food. The lower line Wusthof I just got, initially seems to be better enough to me to warrant looking into the next level up.

I do tend to come at things from a little different perspective, due to my background. I have messed around with woodworking hand tools for a number of years and so sharpening to me is something I have come to expect to do myself. I can't imagine having to get someone else to do my sharpening for me. When working on a woodworking project, a plane iron or chisel must normally be sharpened quite a few times in the course of a day's work.

I am also a little curious about your dislike of wooden cutting boards. I have read quite a few articles that say that opinions are changing in regards to wooden boards and bacteria. The drying action of the wood tends to inhibit microbe growth. There is also concern that the cuts in plastic boards hold moisture and bacteria together. I will have to say, though, that I never use wooden boards for raw meats.

I am hearing that good knives only need to be sharpened every couple months, assuming they are not used on bone and other difficult materials. I have to sharpen the knives I have had a lot more often than that. I am looking forward to seeing how this Wusthof fares, although I wish I had done my research better and known it was not one of their premium lines. I suppose the price should have alerted me.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 am

Gentlemen, I'm always learning something new. And this time I didn't need to do any research. Within your two posts, I got a general picture of the two sides of the coin regarding cutting boards.

I only checked out Mr. Webster because "substrate" is new word to me. My faithful dictionary stated this one of the several meanings listed: "the surface or material on or from which an organism lives, grows, or obtains its nourishment." Interesting.

My Mom always used wood cutting boards; my wife had three polymer cutting boards, which I use regularly. Over the years when they did kitchen duty together, never heard them compare or say anything about cutting boards.

All I can add to the two sides of the coin is the edge; what I from time-to-time use to cut veggies or potatoes. I've diced these foods on a Corelle plate. I don't think that material would lend itself to Mr. Webster's definition, but don't know. Also I'd just guess (again don't know), but the plate does not have any "give" to it as the knife is used. I'd think both wood and polymer do have "give," as cut marks remain behind. Well, Corelle is probably not the best material to use a knife on. What do you say?

Finally to Chef Duane. I'll let my daughter know your comment about purchasing cutlery at BB+Beyond...good info. Unfortunately for her purse, he doesn't pay much attention to pricing --- she just likes to shop, pure & simple. ;)
Thanks to you both.
PT7
ChefDuane wrote: Also, the substrate used (cutting board) plays a large part also. We never use wood cutting boards simply because they are bacteria breeders, promote cross contamination, and don't really hold up well. We use polymer boards. My favorite is a San Jamar CBG121812WH. Polymer blend, heat and chemical resistant, NSF certified, and you can run it through a commercial dishwasher.

Also, we never buy knives from retail (BB+Beyond) - waaaay too expensive. Look for a restaurant supply in your area. Better prices ….
clovishound wrote:I am also a little curious about your dislike of wooden cutting boards. I have read quite a few articles that say that opinions are changing in regards to wooden boards and bacteria. The drying action of the wood tends to inhibit microbe growth. There is also concern that the cuts in plastic boards hold moisture and bacteria together. I will have to say, though, that I never use wooden boards for raw meats.
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am

+1 on ChefDuane's advice on Kitchen Supply houses. Spent many years in that business and bought lots of knives and sharpeners. Paid for lots of kids' stitches, too, but that's another story.

Even if there's not one handy to where you live, the web is full of them. Here's an example of one I"ve used for a while.

https://www.publickitchensupply.com/p-1 ... knife.aspx
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357