Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leatherman Charge ALX

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Leatherman Charge ALX

Post by dave77 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:43 pm

PT7 wrote: It's also helpful to know this steel holds an edge well. I'm not overly skilled at sharpening knives, so this quality is a real plus. :)

Appreciate the follow up post!
PT7
Have you ever tried one one of the WorkSharp sharpeners. I'm the same and have tried all kinds of stones and sharpeners with so-so results. I was kind of skeptical but it will quickly put a nice edge on all my knives. Even quickly put a very sharp edge on my old Buck 110 which takes forever to sharpen with stones. They even have a diamond belt kit if you need to repair/sharpen ceramic kitchen knives.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpener ... pener.html

I will only use the very finest abrasive belt on my Benchmade but I don't use it for heavy duty cutting so only have to give it a light touch up. One thing neat about Benchmade is their Lifesharp Service, send them your knife and they will put a factory edge back on it and pay return shipping back to you.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Never have tried one; in fact, first sharpener system I've seen with a flexible belt....interesting.
Thanks.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 pm

for the last few months I sharpened my Leatherman with a Bavarian Edge .... see last post this thread ====> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... dge#p60007 .... results, a sharp working edge (not a shaving edge) .... worked well on both the regular and serrated blades
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 pm

I wrote some comments in that thread after I also got one of the Bavarian Edge sharpeners. It works quite well for a fairly inexpensive tool. But as I also noted, I wouldn't use it for any knife like this higher cost custom built S30V blade. Will have that done by someone who does sharpening as his trade.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 pm

agree, it works well on kitchen knives and work knives (like our Leatherman) but I don't use it on my good knives
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:07 am

I have never been interested in one of these. It is just too bulky for my carry comfort.
Hardly - I would feel NAKED without my leatherman on my belt - I use mine daily at work and often othertimes.
I have also found a new way to carry mine and it has been working for years.
I went into my LGS one day with the thought of finding a MAG pouch to hold it snugly and securely.
After looking at the choices I saw a Galco leather single mag pouch for a typical double stack 9mm mag.
I took it out and clipped it to my belt, put my Leatherman Wave in it and walked around with it for a while to get a feel for it.
Result? It seemed to be MADE for it and was comfortable to carry and easy to access.
The pouch has a removable bayonet style clip on belt clip which can allow the pouch to be 'click' adjusted for various angles if one wants to use it in a 'tactical' mode for quick access to the magazine but I have preferred to remove this clip and simply thread my belt into the standard 'belt loop' to hold it vertically.
The hex screw at the top is an 'adjustment' with a rubber grommet to adjust tension for mag retention but it works great with the Leatherman which equates a 9mm mag size and thickness.
A little thought and experimentation can result in some GREAT discoveries.
$35 and a lifetime purchase as it is made in Italy and is a quality product.
AND - FWIW a full size Colt 1911 or Mod 66 Smith rides on my other hip so 'bulky' is not a factor.
IMG_1132[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:14 am

nice, I've never considered a magazine pouch
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:24 am

nice, I've never considered a magazine pouch
Whal, I Ah iz 'wunna them 'Po backwuds Country Boyz who hazta alwayz be a 'thinkin fer mahself an come up with som purty creeativ wayz ta deel with stuff & such!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 am

I'm not sure how many models I looked at when considering buying a Victorinox Spirit X, but a number of them came with either a leather or nylon pouch. I chose mine partly to have the leather pouch. It is designed with a standard belt loop for a vertical hold, and the leather is very good quality. Easy way to carry this 7.4 oz., 105mm multi-tool. Perfect set up!

Before I got the Spirit, I had purchased two strong nylon sheaths to carry other knives. The size is perfect to carry my Spirit X, and for all of my 91mm SAKs (e.g. Climber, Tinker, etc.). My Buck 722 Spitfire perfectly fits in this sheath also. These sheaths are made by Kalashnikov. What I really liked about them is the option to belt carry the knife either vertically or horizontally. I mostly have them horizontal for easy access. Photos follow.

Hope this doesn't sidetrack your thread too far afield, JEBar!! I just don't have a Leatherman to show off. :lol:
PT7

My Victorinox Spirit X Multi-Tool
Spirit1.jpg
The Victorinox leather sheath is left of my Spirit X multi-tool. The top tan Kalashnikov sheath shows the option for vertical or horizontal carry, and the black Kalashnikov on the right is identical showing the front view.
Spirit and sheaths_2509.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am

The nice thing about the mag pouch I am using is it fits very snugly to my belt and waist and moves with me, with none of the typical flopping or looseness some of the typical belt pouches have.
0 x