On 2017 memory knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

On 2017 memory knives

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 am

Good Day, Henry Folk.

Taking a break from writing Range Reports out of my gun cabinet. I’d like to post this update on my small knife collection.

Similar to my firearms hobby, I had lost much of any interest in my knife collection after my wife’s passing last July. I haven't looked at my knives very often and haven't purchased many knives at all since then. I’m glad, however, that just like my firearms, I didn’t totally quit and throw everything out the window. And the few recent purchases I’ve made have been a good rejuvenation of this interest for me.

The focus of my post-July knife purchases was to simply have memories of my wife, Joyce, by having special knives “attached” to the year 2017. It might sound unusual to people, but it’s the way it is -- part of my new “alone life.” Here are photos, and the background stories, of these three special memory blades I now have acquired.

Buck 112 from the Buck Custom Shop.
This was the first memory knife I got. I “built” this knife last September 2017, and already have posted the story and photos on our Henry Forum. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3273

Today’s update is that I’ve finished the custom wooden wall hanger I put together to display the knife. The wall hanger is seen in the “design stage” in my photos. It turned out just as you see in the photo and provides an excellent display hanging above the night stand next to my gun cabinet.

I know some good Henry Folk have already read about this Buck 112, but I’ve re-posted also for any new members. For sure, it was very hard to share with everyone early last fall about my wife; now I’m getting along much better each day.

Victorinox Alox Limited Edition 2017.
Came across this knife advertised by Victorinox as a “2017 holiday gift.” I think it was marketed this way partly because of the handles’ festive olive-green color. On the non-logo side, the handle is stamped with the year “2017.” It is called the Pioneer model, has four multi-tools, and is 93mm OAL. It is almost a twin to my Victorinox Aloe “Farmer” model, which has silver blades and the same OAL. The Farmer has one additional multi-tool used a lot by farmers – a saw blade. (I added a photo of the Farmer, simply to show off both colorful SAKs). But the special memory for me is the olive green 2017 Edition.
Alox Pioneer in olive green.jpg
Victorinox Alox 2017 L.E..jpg
2017 stamp.jpg
Not a memory knife; just a sharp-looking silver SAK Alox.
SAK Alox Farmer.jpg

Buck 119 - 75th Anniversary Special.

I really went overboard when I got my third, and last, memory knife. This is the first Buck fixed-blade I have in my collection. Besides being one of the highest-selling, quality fixed-blades (has a 6" blade OAL) Buck company makes, the commemorative dates are just two years short of Joyce's life-span dates (she was born in 1940), with end year of 2017 being accurate. Again, I realize that there are probably some folk thinking this remembrance collection as being "odd." But I cannot help it, as I remember Joyce in this different way. The memory of our years together is there whenever I look at any of these three 2017 knives.
The 75th in 2017_a.jpg
The 75th in 2017_b.jpg
The 75th in 2017_c.jpg
The 75th in 2017_d.jpg
These are the stories of the newest additions to my blades collection.
Always good to remember…

Take good care, and have a great day!
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: On 2017 memory knives

Post by The Wiz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey, what ever works for you, works for me. Peace and good memories.

Mike
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Man that 119 is some kind of purty.
I had silver SAK like yours years ago I haven't been able to find it.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Those are nice knives. However, if they invoke special memories for you, they are priceless. I don't think it's odd at all. Thanks for sharing.

ps...you're not alone my friend, there's lots of folks on here that were very pleased to hear from you again.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi, RSb,

Thanks for the "purty" comment on the 119. It is that.

I checked out a couple of internet knife shops, and the silver SAK Alox Farmer is not an overly expensive knife -- I think your lost one could be easily replaced as the price ranges between $40-$43. Of course, smaller length, non-Farmer models are even less expensive than that. As I mentioned, I think the key difference is the saw tool on the Farmer. The alox handle grip sure is solid to my hand.

Maybe a hint for your next birthday could be whispered about at home?!? ;)

Take care.
PT7
RetiredSeabee wrote:Man that 119 is some kind of purty.
I had silver SAK like yours years ago I haven't been able to find it.
2 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Appreciate the kind words about "hearing from me again." I have missed participating, and not keeping up on everything. It's been enjoyable to wander through the Forum and look at some of the Sept thru February posts I haven't read yet.

Just a couple of more Range Reports, and I'll be caught up on the newbies in my gun cabinet. These have been fun to write also.
Take care...PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Those are nice knives. However, if they invoke special memories for you, they are priceless. I don't think it's odd at all. Thanks for sharing.

ps...you're not alone my friend, there's lots of folks on here that were very pleased to hear from you again.
1 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 am

I hope those memory knives bring you the nice thoughts every time you view them. They are nice knives on their own. As triggers to special memories, they will be irreplaceable treasures.

Thank you for sharing them with us. As Ranch Roper said, many of us are very glad to know you are doing well and to have you back in the fold.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 am

Appreciate also your thoughtful comments, Dave....I bolded what I thought were cool choices of word expressions in your note. :)

Yes, also glad to be with the Forum Folk again. Have some catching up on the thread topics, but more than that, trying to recognize who is who with all the new members! As an example, I noticed TRock joined in early December. Just last night I looked through the "Single Action Revolvers" chats started by TRock. That thread is up to eight pages long already! Some neat historical comments there, and a bunch of excellent photos. One of the two remaining newbie handguns in my gun cabinet is a new Ruger Vaquero .357 Magnum. I've looked at getting a Six Gun for almost six years now, and finally was able to get this Vaquero. Looking forward to putting a story and Range Report together on this really cool S/A revolver.

Briefly back to the knives. I know you're a Buck enthusiast, and I've learned from your comments as well as others more about Buck knives. The knife forum has been a blast to read, and I've picked up a lot of good knife knowledge there.

Always have kept good numbers (stats) on my small knife collection and firearms. Easy to count the knives because I have just shy of two dozen knives, 22 total. These are both old and new from various manufacturers. Victorinox numbers are the highest; the "victors" at nine blades. Over the last two years, some of my Bucks have gone out as gifts to my brothers and a couple of friends. Down to only three Bucks now, and you just read about two of them. The other is my grey Buck 722 Spitfire. Finally, out of my three Case knives, two are Henry/Case collaboration special editions. I like each knife I have, but safe to say, I favor the Victorinox blades. That has been an evolving change for me.

OK, enough add-on stuff. Trust you and everyone will have a good day today.
Take care.
Bob (aka PT7)

daytime dave wrote:I hope those memory knives bring you the nice thoughts every time you view them. They are nice knives on their own. As triggers to special memories, they will be irreplaceable treasures.

Thank you for sharing them with us. As Ranch Roper said, many of us are very glad to know you are doing well and to have you back in the fold.
1 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:38 am

My husband bought another gift for me around Christmas time - 2017.

You know that I love and use my BUCK (Idaho-USA) and KA-BAR (New York-USA) fixed blade knives. I do not use folding or pocket knives as some of you know due to my flare ups with arthritis.

I already had a Buck 119 Special knife that is a few years old.

He kept wanting me to get the Buck 119 Special 75th anniversary knife when it FIRST came out and I told him that I did not need one. They originally came in a special gift box (Tin or wood?) if my memory serves me right. Anyway, he found one in a local big box store here in town in the 'shrink wrap package' like my other Buck 119 Special. You can still FIND the 75th anniversary knives around town from what he told me. You can ALWAYS FIND the classic BUCK 119 Special knife around here too.

I am STILL using and carrying my knives more than any firearm.

I love your Swiss Army knives - very pretty! I am going to show your SA knives to my husband too. He carries 1 if not 2 folding/pocket knives on a daily basis. He has been rotating a few knives lately including the ones that I gave him.

I think that memories are a very GOOD THING for a person to have and hold in their heart, soul and mind. If you want to have an object that reminds you of a loved one... that is a GOOD THING.

God bless you.

You have beautiful knives!

Cate
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks, Cate, and congrats on your gift of the Buck 119 anniversary edition! Since you have a 119, you already know you'll enjoy the new blade, too. Good choice by your husband.

Does he or you own any SAKS? If not, let us know whether or not he buys any. They are very quality and functional multi-tools, quite easy for EDC, and great to use for those unexpected knife needs that often come up. And as you noticed, the colorful SAKs are very photogenic. We know everyone likes photos on our Forum.

Take care!
PT7
1 x

~Пока~