Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ceramic Knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Ceramic Knives

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am

does anyone have any experience with Ceramic Knives .. :?: .. claims of lifetime sharpness and durability have been made by fly-by-night knife makers for as long as I can remember .... I bit on a couple many years ago, they did OK for a while but soon the company was gone and the knifes ended up being discarded .... I also remember a friend who bought one, dropped it and the blade broke .... price wise they are cheap .... how is the quality today ..?
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Ceramic Knives

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:27 am

I would have to think its the same as with regular knives. You get what you pay for.

I bought a ceramic knife at harbor freight for around five dollars. It is a dull-o-matic. I bought a diamond grit sharpener to hone it. It seems fine when sharp, but it dulls faster than the other knives. I'm sticking to regular steel. Remember where I got it. I wouldn't get a regular knife there, so maybe it isn't indicative of the breed.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 am

I found this link that gives an assessment of Ceramic Knives ===> https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/ceramic-knives.htm <=== I found the section on "Chipping" to be a concern
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

I've only ever had one ceramic kitchen knife. It was very sharp when I first bought it, but it seemed to dull very rapidly, and the blade tended to chip quite easily. It proved to be very difficult if not impossible to sharpen properly, too.

It wasn't particulary expensive, so whether that makes a difference I don't know. I didn't risk buying another one to find out. ;)
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

The only one I ever had had very small chips on the edge, you could see it looking at the blade edge with a decent magnifying glass. I figured the little pieces of the ceramic blade were mixing into the food I was cutting so I quit using it.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 am

As I sat here drinking the morning coffee, I had occasion to look over near the mug and see the ceramic I brought to the man cave to touch up on the diamond stone. I picked up the ceramic knife and touched up a Buck 303 on the spine of the ceramic knife. It worked like a charm.

As a knife, it's pretty much a dud. In a pinch, it's a ceramic touch up rod for smaller blades.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm

I never owned a ceramic knife.

Cate
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Not being able to practically sharpen them is a deal killer for me.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya