My Daughter's Knife....

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

My Daughter's Knife....

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 pm

:roll:

My Daughter in OK saw the work I have been learning in leather, and the knife and sheath I completed recently, and wanted a sheath for the knife I made for her several years ago. (I posted a pic of that little knife here a few weeks ago.) ;) She said she loves the knife and uses it all the time, but wanted to carry it with her when she rides, and in the truck as well. I told her to send it to me. She had found some leather working tools that had been left in storage in the house by the previous owner, and said she would send them as well.... Christmas comes early. :lol:

The knife arrived, and I could tell she had really been using it... the scales had been worn down and there was no finish left! :o First things first, I spent a couple hours in the wood shop working on the knife... 80, 120, 220, and 400 grit, and then the poor thing began to look like it's old self again. I sent her a pic and told her OIL it once in a while and some wax wouldn't hurt. :? She just laughed, "I knew you would refinish it first... you are SO Predictable... but I promise. What kind of oil?"
0.jpg
I spent the next few days playing around with layouts for the sheath, and with designs for the carving. Yup, CARVING... she wanted me to carve a design into the sheath, and told me WHAT she wanted but left the exact design up to me... Not just tool the edges. :roll: :? This would be a new thing, I hadn't done any carving yet. BUT she had sent a bunch of tools and a book... so I got busy practicing, carving various practice pieces on scrap leather. I was also looking for an appropriate design to put on the sheath once I designed a layout that would work for HER knife and her left handed carry.

Finally I came across a Tattoo by accident that was exactly what I was looking for, so I traced it out, and transferred the design to the sheath I had cut out and prepped over the two previous days.
1.jpg
Now came the sucker time. I had to start the carving and stamping to bring the design to life. Slow and steady, and taking everything the practice for the last few days had taught me... I worked it. Slow... and ... steady. If I messed it up, I'd have to start over. Meh... :roll: ... what the heck, I'm retired... don't sweat the small stuff.
2.jpg
3.jpg
I finished the work on the design, and used both black for antiquing to bring out the depth, and brown for the finish. I was pretty pleased with a first effort, but hope later designs improve a LOT. Burnishing the edge of the three layers turned them slick and smooth and joined them into one. It waterproofs the edges and protects them from the grit and grime that tries to seep in as well, and keeps the leather from peeling apart in layers at the edges.

Each new leather project is a learning experience, and of course there were lessons learned here... and the next time I make one, I'll have better tools and more experience. I'll send this to her and I hope she gets lots of use from the knife and the sheath, but I am keeping the pattern handy, when she wears out the sheath from hard use, perhaps the next one will be even nicer.
4.jpg
Back to the box project tomorrow, after dental at the VA eats up most of the day. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: My Daughter's Knife....

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I might put a couple coats of wax on both the knife and the sheath before I box them up to ship to OK... LOL...
3 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 am

Great job! Image

Your daughter is one lucky gal to have such a talented dad. ;) :lol:
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 am

Beautiful work on both the wood handles and the leather sheath, Marine. :D
I add my "ditto" to Les' comments!
BrokenolMarine wrote: I'll send this to her and I hope she gets lots of use from the knife and the sheath, but I am keeping the pattern handy, when she wears out the sheath from hard use, perhaps the next one will be even nicer. :P
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am

Thanks guys, I tossed a number of practice pieces before I got there, and I'm still not happy, but as Shrek said, "It'll do Donkey, It'll do."

Later, after more practice, what would you say on you side of the pond, Les?
"Perhaps I'll give it another go."
:lol:
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:Later, after more practice, what would you say on you side of the pond, Les?
"Perhaps I'll give it another go." :lol:
Yes, I probably would say something like that if things worked out OK. If they didn't, then it's probably best that I don't repeat anything. ;)
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Maybe I missed it but what kind of leather did you use?
0 x
Pax at Justitia

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:06 pm

You can see the leather in the first picture, it's a medium vegetable tanned leather. Chrome tanned leather, like that used for shoes, is too hard to stamp, carve, or mold for sheathed, holsters, etc. The guys at the local Tandy Leather were very helpful, offering advice on what I did (and more importantly, didn't...) need to buy to get started, the tools from woodworking I could cross over, and basic techniques.
1 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm

That is a nice useful knife and the sheath is beautiful. I hope she takes care of that little gem.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 pm

You sure do nice work. Thanks for the stuff you post, very cool.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully