Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Priceless...

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Priceless...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Miss Tina and I ran with the local volunteer rescue squad for about four years... and since she didn't work, she ran more calls than any two members in the squad put together, normally, any three. She loved the job, helping folks. She kept a jump bag in the car and if the call was close by, she would have the driver and the second EMT meet her at the scene with the ambulance if the call warranted it. That cut the response time to five to ten minutes rather than the normal fifteen or twenty. We are a rural county and back then there were no paid members so everyone responded to the squad house, got the ambulance, and then responded as a crew. You responded only as quickly as the slowest member of the three or four person crew. With Tina first responding to the scene of the major calls, it made a real difference.

One beautiful winter day the tones went off and there was a call for a possible cardiac arrest at the State Park, three minutes from our house... if you obey'd the traffic rules. ;) Miss Tina jumped in her Grand Marquis I had bought her at Auction, (a former unmarked Sergeant's Car) and plugged in the red light on the dash and was off. She was on scene and working the Full Code at the park before the volunteers ever got to the squad house. The man was at the park from out of state, on vacation with his family... down from the hill's of Kentucky. He was here for Hunting season, and had overdone the hiking thru the woods a tad. By the time the squad arrived, she had the man breathing again, and his ticker ticking.

The call would be a scoop and run. The nearest trauma center is an hour's drive in normal traffic, but about 35 to 40 minutes in the ambulance with a bit of luck. It's less than 15 by life flight. The Sheriff's Office had approved Tina's request and the helo landed in a farmer's field and he was gone.

About a month later, a package arrived for Miss Tina in care of the Sheriff's Office. They had a Deputy drop it off at the house. Tina opened the package and found a "gift" from the hunter. Seems he was a custom knife maker and wanted to express his appreciation, for still being around to make them. Every year after that, he returned to hunt with his friends, and he dropped off a hunk of venison and thanked Miss Tina again. Until the doc told him he couldn't make the drive anymore. :(

It's a beautiful knife, but Tina has never done anything more than show the knife to friends. The note she only shared with me, it's personal. The knife, it's priceless. It lives in the gun safe, protected. It means a lot, representing a save, and someone grateful for the effort.
Tina's Lifesaving Knife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Priceless...

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Wow. Thanks for sharing this story with us, Marine. What a wonderful gift... the one from Tina to the hunter and the one from the hunter/craftsman to her. You are a rich man.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Wow. Thanks for sharing this story with us, Marine. What a wonderful gift... the one from Tina to the hunter and the one from the hunter/craftsman to her. You are a rich man.
That's what she keeps telling me. :lol:

Nah, nah...
Just kidding. Even though she beats me when I'm sleeping, calls me names, and prefers the company of her chickens... :roll:
I know I am a lucky man. :P
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 am

That is a great story. What a wonderful gift.

Maybe you should display it in a case you make?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

Wonderful and heart-warming story, Marine. Yes (as CT noted), you are a rich man. And glad to see that knife securely living in the gun safe.

BTW, I know exactly how that hunter felt. I'm a member of the "cardiac club" having had a heart attack just a couple of months after 9/11 (is it really that many years ago?!?).

Anyway, I was at work, my supervisor called 911, and the paramedics were there pronto. Thankful that their station was less than 2 miles from my office. I was awake/alert during the ambulance's speedy travel to the hospital...quite a ride! The paramedics later told me their story when I tracked them down a couple of months later at their station to thank them, also with a gift.

When the paramedics took me out of the ambulance in the hospital parking lot, one of the men asked, "Did you disconnect him?" The answer was "no." Ouch, I had red-lined. They literally ripped off my shirt, and paddled me back. I woke up finally in the ER never knowing what had happened, or how God had place these paramedics so carefully and professionally watching over and caring for my survival. I'm still grateful whenever I see paramedics heading down the road with sirens sounding away! They, and all who help them, are great folk to have around.

Thanks so much for the reminder, Marine, and for your beautiful, priceless story. Also thanks to Ms. Tina!
Take good care,
PT7
2 x

~Пока~